Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > GSM FBH Switch & Timer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Chris1573

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver
GSM FBH Switch & Timer

So a little project to keep myself from climbing the walls. After getting my FBH back up and running I tested it by unpluging the 3 wire plug from the remote unit in the boot and then joining the +12v to the signal wire. The FBH and interior fans then start up and run until you disconnect the wires or I think it turns off on its own after 30 mins (did not test this theory however) what I did notice is within 10 minutes the interior was toasty so it does not need that long to do its job.

I was thinking about getting a key fob to switch it on and off. However after looking at the price and after reading this...

https://motor-roam.co.uk/l322-range-rover-...-10-pounds

I took a closer look at this option.

Being that this article used a WIFI switch then it would only work when you are at home and connected to your wifi network...

Then I saw someone had added a GSM gate opener on one of the FB Groups so I ordered one off Amazon for £25.00
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B083TS...&psc=1

So once I got the GSM gate opener I looked through the instructions and basically you have the option of either calling it or texting it or using an APP. Via text and the APP or calling it you can manually turn it on and then you have to do the same again to turn it off. There is a time delay function but maximum is 9 seconds. (no good for the FBH which needs a constant 12v signal to run) and I would forget to turn it off if I used the manual on/off function.

So I have expanded on the idea and added a time delay relay into the equation which once it receives the trigger signal from the gate opener it closes the relay for a set amount of time, I can now set the timer as needed and so during the winter months it might be 15 minutes (enough to warm the car and defrost on a cold day, in Spring when its a bit warmer then perhaps only 10 mins. The idea being not to spank the battery too much if its not needed.

Click image to enlarge

This also mean I just phone the GSM switch rather than having to text it, as soon as you ring it cuts you off and signals the relay so your SIM card does not need to be topped up.

Might look a bit home made but works a treat Smile

I then disconnect the 3 wire connector from the remote module in the back of the car, plumb this lot in to send the timed signal to the FBH.

I have measured the current draw and its seems to hover around 30ma when idle then when I call it and the countdown starts this jumps to 80ma. So not too bad, Need to check what the rest of the vehicle draws at rest. L322 2007 TDV8 3.6

Post #585268 25th Feb 2021 8:28pm
Chris1573

And before anyone says anything yes it does look like some sort IED timer Smile Im guessing its pretty much how they are made !. L322 2007 TDV8 3.6

Post #585283 25th Feb 2021 10:02pm
Bolert

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

Hey Chris,

Nice write up, much more cost-effective than a replacement fob.

Just ordered the bits for this mod!! Looking forward to getting it fitted and ready for winter Smile

Can I just ask how you checked the current draw? Where did you connect your meter too?

Cheers

Post #636859 14th Jul 2022 8:48am
Chris1573

Hi Bolert, THe meter needs to be put in line on the positive cable from the battery, you need a meter that can handle upto 10amps draw as when you connect it all up the RR will draw a high current initially as it sorts itself out, then leave for an hour and see what your draw is at this point. L322 2007 TDV8 3.6

Post #636899 15th Jul 2022 8:31am
p38arover

Australia 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue

Neat, although I’m surprised GSM is still in use in the UK. It was turned off in Oz a few years ago and 3G will be going off shortly.

The turn off of GSM was a bit annoying, it meant the phone in my L322 no longer worked, nor did the tracker in my motorbike. Ron B. VK2OTC
2004 L322 V8 Auto
2007 Yamaha XJR1300
Previous: 1983, 1986 RRC; 1995, 1996 P38A; 1995 Disco1; 1984 V8 County 110; Series IIA

Post #636904 15th Jul 2022 9:19am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1