Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > 2011 fuel gauge
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
nickguy

United States 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Bonatti Grey

This was really helpful for me as I am chasing a random, intermittent error from my rr height sensor and could not figure out where the wiring went. Replaced the pigtail to the sensor and sensor, still get the problem need to move upstream. Am really wondering now if I am getting a similar chaffing. Will report back when I get the inspection hatch open.

Post #515249 13th May 2019 7:53pm
physio

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Barolo Black

Have the same issue with fuel guage showing empty. Has anyone any pictures of how to remove the clamps / springs from inside the tank? Just in case I have to remove the internal stuff.

Post #566042 1st Sep 2020 10:31am
Bushy30

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Galway Green

Click image to enlarge

Not really sure that will help -- you do have to be careful, as I broke this bit:-

Click image to enlarge

ended up drilling trough the plastic and metal and pinning back together Current: 2011 FFRR Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8
Previous: -
2004 FFRR Vogue 4.4 V8 with LPG
1997 P38 4.0 SE with LPG
1997 P38 4.6 Vogue with LPG

Post #566046 1st Sep 2020 11:46am
rjff

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

Physio

I had the same erratic fuel gauge readings last year. I don't have photos of the removl of the pump from the tank, but it is a case of taking care and referring to the diagrams in the workshop manual in the Wiki.

fuel system/tdv8/2component locations.

You'll have to do it by feel. The bridge holding the pump in place is simply pressed down to allow it to come out of the indent of the top of the tank, simialr in the left hand unit. Geting ot back is a bit tricky, but care and a bit of time works.

On opening up the tank found the RH main pmp unit on its side. Obviously still operational but the sender (whichis integral to the pump unit) was lying at an odd angle and not giving the correct reading. The bridge had cracked as in Bushy's picture and allowed the two pillars to fall into the pump unit, then the pump fell out of position. Had to take the pump apart to retrieve the pillars. Repaired them by inserting a rivet nut in the top of the pllars and drilling though the securing bridge to fit (IIRC) a 4mm bolt and securing washers

Take care if you do this to avoid overstressing the rivet nut and causing the pillar to expand too far to allow it to go back into the housing top. Fit the rivet nut with the pillar in place if you feel better that way. Take the opportunity to replace the connectors on the cables in the tank. Do all of them, even of it means removing the left hand unit.

Hope this helps. Cheers
Richard

(there are no such things as an ordinary FullFat, an ordinary cat or too many tools)
2011 TDV8 Vogue Santorini Black
Gap IIDBT

Post #566053 1st Sep 2020 12:55pm
physio

Thats great. Thanks to you both. One more question. Whats the best connectors to use once the old plugs are removed? And do they have to be 'diesel' proof?

Post #566057 1st Sep 2020 1:26pm
rjff

IIRC I simply used in line crimps suitable for the cable size and they weren't
diesel proof. I would recommend getting fuel line pliers and a set of fuel hose clips with pliers to fit. (see photo far left and centre bottom). Not expensive and worth having for ease of remval/fitting.

Cheers
Richard

(there are no such things as an ordinary FullFat, an ordinary cat or too many tools)
Gap IIDBT

Post #566061 1st Sep 2020 2:12pm
physio

Thanks Richard. Will do. Will let you know how i got on.

Post #566064 1st Sep 2020 2:30pm
rjff

Good luck Thumbs Up Cheers
Richard

Gap IIDBT

Post #566066 1st Sep 2020 2:40pm
Jayk69

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Barolo Black

Thanks for the great posts people. Dealer i brought the car from had not heard of this fix!! so they are happy as only cost them the labor to apply the fix.
Gauge is working properly again now very pleased indeed. have a few other bits to sort but these are all service items.

Post #571860 4th Nov 2020 3:42pm
Old-un

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Causeway Grey

I too seem to have this problem, suddenly fuel gauge showing zero and not knowing of this sender fault I filled her up !
Since then I have covered 100 miles before the misfire/judder started but fortunately I was able to get home before the engine stopped completely (two miles )
I am contemplating having an attempt to disconnect the first connecter and replace it a few times to see if this solves the problem but not sure if this connector is above the fuel level or not ? I definitely would not attempt to remove the fuel pump from the tank as this a little beyond my expertise and confidence. also this would have to be done on my drive so not really currently weather permitting.
So, the alternative is getting it fixed by garage. Somebody mentioned in a previous post that the engine will restart ok after limp mode by switching off and on again but the problem will resume later, does anybody know about how many miles later and will it work doing this several times?
The reason I ask is because the garage I have in mind is about 25 miles away from me and I wouldn't really like to have to pay to have the car transported there.
Any suggestions or info would be welcome. RR owner

Post #654326 22nd Jan 2023 12:16am
Bushy30

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Galway Green

Old-un, most of the sometimes three, four, or five connectors are below fuel level, it's best to replace all or you may end up doing it again.

I can't help with how far you get before limp mode, sorry.

Bushy Current: 2011 FFRR Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8
Previous: -
2004 FFRR Vogue 4.4 V8 with LPG
1997 P38 4.0 SE with LPG
1997 P38 4.6 Vogue with LPG

Post #654330 22nd Jan 2023 9:14am
Old-un

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Causeway Grey

Finally bit the bullet and arranged for an indy to sort it for me. Garage was 11 miles away and I set off with my wifey following, all done in limp mode and as expected the vehicle stopped every 500 yards but restarted every time 'till I eventually hopped to my destination ( just keep away from motorways ! )

Indy suggested the pump and senders may need to be replaced costing all told £800, but eventually agreed to look at possibility of a fix as discussed in this forum. This they did by removing gubbins to the bench and crimping. As I had made access to the tank easier for them by tying up the carpet etc the job was completed faster than usual. This was reflected in the cost of the job which amazed me at £180 including VAT! Will certainly use them again.

Only problem now is to get rid of the inevitable diesel smell from the sponge like material under the carpet, any ideas out there Question RR owner

Post #655523 3rd Feb 2023 8:39pm
NJPovey

United Kingdom 
Another potential wiring problem to look for....

Last year the in tank fuel pump on our old TD6 packed up. I wasn't wanting to spend lots of money on the 150,000 miles workhorse so bought a cheap pump unit complete with the fuel level senders.

All has been good but yesterday the fuel gauge dropped to zero. I pulled the units out today and found what I suspect is a manufacturing fault (and possibly the reason for the price...) the wires that are soldered to the resistance wiper board were not supported at the solder joint at all.

What i found was that there is a hole in the plastic moulding just below the board and if the wire is put through the hole and the corresponding hole in the board and then soldered it is supported so that no load is put on the solder joint.

If fitting a new unit take a look at the wires and check that they are supported on the arm that moves so that the solder joint doesn't break after repeated movement. 2012 L322 Westminster V8 - Current
Naylor TF1700 - No. 55 of 100 Built - Current (on dry days)
2006 L322 Vogue TD6 146,000 miles- Current
Fiat Panda 1.3 Multijet 145,000 miles - Current
MG ZTT CDTi Estate - Sold when approaching 250,000 miles
2 1/4 Petrol 1972 Series III Sold
TD300 Discovery Long gone, but not forgotten

Post #669073 13th Jul 2023 9:33pm
Buellie

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

I have just done mine.

I pulled the driver's side cover off and found the plug in the tank with the blue and black wires. Before I cut them I thought I would try some contact cleaner in the plug and pull it apart about a dozen times.

I also cleaned the plug on the top of the cover with the 6 pins and did the same, switch cleaner, open and close a dozen times and now have a working gauge without any cutting or soldering. Dec 2011 L322 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Orkney Grey/Sand leather

Post #689125 27th Mar 2024 12:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123