Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > front knuckle cracking
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 16 of 39 <123 ... 151617 ... 373839>
Print this entire topic · 
JCW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Sumatra Black

As I understand it, LR have started the recall process for this specific known issue in certain countries at least (perhaps those with a record of group action / litigious culture) however seemingly the safety of customers in LR’s home market is deemed a lower priority or not a concern at all Rolling Eyes Jonathan

2007 Defender 90 XS Hardtop

Post #658068 28th Feb 2023 11:08am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Tis rather sh17e JLR are not making a stand for safety!

Does seam they only fail whilst manoeuvring at slow speed though which is very odd!

Post #658095 28th Feb 2023 4:00pm
JCW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Sumatra Black

Yeah I was thinking about the slow speed failure aspect too Craig, I guess more stress is applied to the joint when turning on full lock, perhaps even more so when manoeuvring into an upward or downward slope, such as a driveway, where the suspension compresses, whereas sailing along the motorway at 70-80 mph in a straight line probably isn’t stressing the joint in the same way?

However if a failing joint was at the point of fracturing and you had to make an emergency steering manoeuvre on the motorway at high speed, the outcome doesn’t bear thinking about Shocked

Beggars belief that LR evidently recognises the issue but continue to jeopardise their customers safety or that the DVSA (who also have awareness ref. the other related thread) are not stepping in to force them into a recall. What’s the point of an agency specifically setup to ensure vehicle safety but who appear to be doing nothing in this case.

Perhaps they’re too busy with roadside checks that generates revenue from fines Whistle Jonathan

2007 Defender 90 XS Hardtop

Post #658100 28th Feb 2023 4:44pm
fenair

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Causeway Grey
L405 2015 Front Hub carrier failure -

Just to make you all aware yesterday i had a front off side hub carrier failer ( Knuckle Joint ) so fortunate it failed as i turned ito a side road, luckily with enough gap in the on comming traffic and with 4wd and the grunt to push the car out of the path of a Scania heading towards me and the daughter, safe to say to avoid a RTA has made matters worse on the parts list , plus getting it on the trailer the wheel wanted to tuck but a rachet strap held it enough to get on, but needs must as you dont expect the front to collapse as you turn into a side road,

2 hours earlier the car had 4 full sized suit cases , 4 hand luggage cases, 4 adults on their way home from a holiday of a life time from gatwick back to Norfolk, had the top joint snapped at high speed on the motorway i am sure it would have been carnage at high speed, then people would have assumed i had fallen asleep at the wheel after a over night flight, never suspecting a front suspension failure at 80 caused the loss of control.

So i need a new front knuckle, drive shaft, flexi hose and wheel bearing , best do the other side to be safe.
How a company like LR can get away with something as serious as this repeatedly and not have to stand by their product i dont understand, its a known problem and no way of inspection as the rot comes from within, from Steel to Ali contct of the ball joint, i see over the years its always the top , never the bottom which has to point to a design flaw or casting fault?

Car is 2015 SDV8 and has covered exactly 100,000 mile the day before the failure, so i assume LR would claim end of life, for a £98,000 car in 7 years...

I have never been over excited with the 405 after coming from a 322, which was far from an improvment on teh P38, it seems to me every generation is getting weaker and more unrelaible than the model it replaces, time for a defender I think.. or a Toyota...

Anyone had this experience? Part numbers , has ther been a upgrade on the Knucle joint?
LR ever do a recall? ( joke)

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 SDV8 2015

Post #658493 5th Mar 2023 9:28am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

yes unfortunately it is happening,

heres one thread relating to it,

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic55957.html ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #658498 5th Mar 2023 9:54am
Kot

United Kingdom 

Report it here https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-recalls-and-fau...ety-defect

I think all who have been effected need to create a list of angry owners-- complain in numbers.

JLR is a disgrace!!! are they waiting for a fatality before they do something? 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #658500 5th Mar 2023 10:06am
fenair

Thanks Stan, don't suppose I would get anywhere at 100,000 miles arguing with JLR although there seems to be a Canadian recall N759 being mentioned on the thread you supply, shocking really.... I see a grands worth of parts required looking at it on the trailer, without doing the near side that's not failed, I see little point in buying genuine as it's failed, sort of thing we expect if fitting budget crap from euros SDV8 2015

Post #658501 5th Mar 2023 10:10am
Gremlin500

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

Sadly, it will take a death before JLR do anything about it, shame on them.

Am I right it seems to be only 2015/2016 cars affected by this? Or does it extend further either way?

Without a bit of transparency from the manufacturer, I guess we might never know, due to the cover up culture in this country from politicians and big business alike. Sad “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #658503 5th Mar 2023 10:14am
Kot

United Kingdom 

Do both sides, if one side as failed the other could be ready to let go as well and at least may have cracks that will be invaluable to the investigation DVSA cant let this go now there has been so many failures surely?
Save the old parts for DVSA investigation. 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #658504 5th Mar 2023 10:15am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

being concerned about this problem i asked my son to have a look at mine ..

off-road mode and he wire brushed the knuckles and visually inspected them..

no cracks found.

i suggest for peace of mind everyone one does this inspection.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #658505 5th Mar 2023 10:18am
fenair

Yes I agree, and yes it seems to be pre 2017 that has the issue but that said likley because the newr cars have not suffered enough corrosion to become apparent yet would be my thoughts as it's the same part upto the new car just on sale... It's going to be time dependant not miles I suspect, classic steel and Ali reaction, all could be negted by a nylon sleeve on the ball joint shaft and pinch bolt hole, all simple design consideration that if I can see it why can't some university educated engineering manager who oversee this terrible design see it, likley too busy organising a weekends cycling in the dales with the office juniors to prove himself a man by the back door.... Not impressed me... SDV8 2015

Post #658507 5th Mar 2023 10:23am
fenair

They rot from the inside and become honeycomb, then snap like a carrot look at the pictures, it's black at the ball joint contact, SDV8 2015

Post #658508 5th Mar 2023 10:26am
dingg1

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

Visual inspection might just give you a false impression tbf Stan, dye penetration, mpi, radiography needed either or to give proper peace of mind and even then its a design flaw that still might bite yer arse without any signs of prior crack propagation... 🤓

Jlr need to sort this out....

Post #658509 5th Mar 2023 10:27am
Kot

United Kingdom 

Dye penetration only good for surface cracks on outside.
MPI is only good for steel
possible ultrasonic could pick it up
Radiography is a huge hassle probably cheaper to just replace the part.

Fenair --add this thread link to the large on going thread so all new failures are in one place. 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #658510 5th Mar 2023 10:36am
fenair

Yes mate, how do I add the thread and to what thread bud? SDV8 2015

Post #658511 5th Mar 2023 10:42am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 16 of 39 <123 ... 151617 ... 373839>