Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > front knuckle cracking
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 19 of 39 <123 ... 181920 ... 373839>
Print this entire topic · 
Jase71

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black

It’s a classic fatigue failure too from a point of stress concentration adjacent to the central bore. Design flaw really. 2017 Range Rover Vogue V6 Diesel
2006 Range Rover Vogue V8 Diesel - gone

Post #659924 20th Mar 2023 7:20pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

Report it here, the more that do the more attention it will get

https://forms.dvsa.gov.uk/Vsdr/create 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #659927 20th Mar 2023 8:00pm
cozzy

England 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

I just raised my 2015 Vogue se (65K miles) up to take a look at these arms. One of my ones has a clear crack in the casting as others have shown on here!
I had just driven back from Aberdeen in my car not knowing this was lurking under my wheel arch !!

To say i'm a bit miffed is putting it bluntly Big Cry

I have now ordered both sides to air on the side of caution.

Do check yours out people.........its bloody dangerous .

Post #660476 27th Mar 2023 1:09pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

https://forms.dvsa.gov.uk/Vsdr/create 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #660477 27th Mar 2023 1:24pm
lee.norg

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Waitomo Grey

Finally got this issue fixed. Took it (Flat bed transported) into my local LR dealer who said that they had never seen this issue. Raised it with Land Rover UK who came back and stated "not a known issue" and was down to general wear and tear of the vehicle based on age. Lets just say as my car has full LR history, I was not happy with the fob off from LR as a "wear and tear" and i did point them to the Canadian recall due to this very issue. Needless to say, it wasn't of interest to them.
So after close to £1K worth of parts and fitting its now fixed. I am going to get the other side done as a precautionary, however I think I will be ordering the part from LR and getting it done at my local independent. I've lost faith in the dealership and they just didn't seem interested. 2016 Range Rover L405 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography

Post #660575 28th Mar 2023 2:07pm
chugga90

United Kingdom 

Out of curiosity.

Are just the V8 diesel’s the ones failing. Or have the V6 diesel and supercharged ones failing?

Post #660577 28th Mar 2023 2:33pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

What an absolute Censored cheek from LR saying this is not a known issue when there is a recall in Canada and numerous forum contributors have complained about it too. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #660606 28th Mar 2023 8:29pm
Gremlin500

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

chugga90 wrote:
Out of curiosity.

Are just the V8 diesel’s the ones failing. Or have the V6 diesel and supercharged ones failing?

Of the ones reported on here, there are four V8’s and one V6. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #660612 28th Mar 2023 9:29pm
AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

lee.norg wrote:
Raised it with Land Rover UK who came back and stated "not a known issue" and was down to general wear and tear of the vehicle based on age.

How can a clamped joint incurr any 'wear and tear'? JLR are really showing their true colours when it comes to customer care, it really should be taken to task calling what they do 'customer care'.

Sad, sad situation for a British Company with a premium product take a stance like this. BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Post #660621 29th Mar 2023 4:21am
rvbush

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

If JLR were to start taking an interest in this country I suspect they might find themselves admitting liability in law. As always, large companies have no interest whatsoever in doing the right thing, only in doing what they have to to meet their legal liabilities. This is actually an obscenity and someone is going to be seriously injured eventually, if not killed, because of something JLR know perfectly well is a design fault. My view is that they currently have guilty knowledge of this issue and need to get their corporate fingers out of their corporate bottom and do something about it. I have no doubt that in their production facilities they spend all of their time crowing about how important health and safety is, except it clearly isn't and these sort of instances expose corporations for what they really are.

Should the very worst come to pass, I'd like to think some of their Directors would be in the dock explaining themselves to a Court. Drives:
2010 FFRR TdV8 Vogue - Stornoway Grey
2010 FFRR TdV8 Vogue SE - Zermatt Silver
1998 BMW E36 M3 GTII

Post #660624 29th Mar 2023 7:33am
Norman.D.Seagull

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Thanks guys for the heads up on this issue . My vin number is up in the 26**** range but still very worrying. Shocked Just had service with replacement oil cooler needed at 70,000 miles . My independent garage is pretty knowledgably on the whole range so will check with him. Any updates or news of any JLR recall would be great to hear about . How long is the JLR extended warranty for ?

Post #662292 19th Apr 2023 4:32pm
V8lwb

Malaysia 

Hi everyone. I had a scary experience last night due to a knuckle failure. Here are some brief details:

Make model: RR L405 SDV8 Lwb Autobiography
Year of manufacture: 2017
Chassis nunber: 340xxx
Mieage: 33k miles

I was driving at 65mph on the fast lane of a multi lane highway. The opposite direction was a raised section so it was a wall to my right. I was just going straight and suddenly i heard a loud bang and felt a thud through the wheel and footwell. The car veered sharply right towards the wall and then started swaying left and right. I just managed to control it and was able to glide on its momentum to a safe stop on the far left of the busy road. The whole time the front right tyre was making a terrible scraping noise after the bang. When i inspected the damage i couldnt believe that the drivers side front wheel had collapsed inwards. I thought the air strut had failed at first. I called the tow truck to come and the first ine arrived but couldnt tow it when he pointed out to me it was the knuckle that failed. I had to wait for a second truck which could pick it up from the front and out the rear on dolly wheels.

Probably one of the closest calls i have had to a big accident. If it had happened in a corner or if the car was fully loaded with kids and luggage i would be typing this from a.hospital bed or maybe not at all.

I would advise anyone that owns a L405 to immediately inspect their front suspension knuckles. One thing i can add is that i had been hearing a tap tapping sound when i turned the wheel to the right when manoeuvring the car at low speed and during parking. I did bring it in to check and at first i thought it was the brake disc backing plate making the sound. Maybe a stone got caught or it was loose. We could never trace the sound as the gatage was busy and had no lifts free. Was planning to come back again but alas. I now believe this sound is caused by some sort of binding happening at the failure location from the oxidisation/corrosion area.

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by V8lwb on 8th May 2023 12:40pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #663637 8th May 2023 12:00pm
AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

Very lucky escape really, well done. Surely JLR must be sitting up and taking notice by now, I'm surprised VOSA or whatever they're called now haven't stepped in and instructed JLR to do a recall. BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Post #663638 8th May 2023 12:21pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

v8lwb so glad no one was injured, a shocking experience.

Hope you inform your Malaysian authorities and get them to do an urgent recall of all cars in the Malaysia, only then will they admit there is a problem and hopefully issue a world wide recall. Someone will be killed the longer this denial by JLR continues. 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #663639 8th May 2023 1:15pm
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

What a terrifying experience. Glad to hear you managed to remain safe. Kev

2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #663643 8th May 2023 2:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 19 of 39 <123 ... 181920 ... 373839>