Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Squealing sound
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Ian928

Norway 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black
Squealing sound

After going to a car was (may be coincidence?) my 2006 SC developed a squealing sound from one of the belts, the sound goes away or gets quieter after some driving. It is louder on the right side of the engine. I have not used a stethoscope or anything (yet) but I feel like it might be one of the idler pulleys rather than the alternator. The car has done around 210' kms, and I do not know if belts or water pump has ever been changed. I have for a long time had a slow coolat leak that I have been unable to trace, this may or may not be relevant.

I found a diagram on another thread with part numbers, see below. I plan to change both belts, both tensioners and both idler pulleys but I have some questions before I start ordering parts:

Is it recommended to change also the Fan Pulley Bracket PQS500480? I see it acts like a idler.
    Should I replace tensioners or is it Ok to replace only tensioner pulleys?
    Should I do the water pump at the same time? Is it hard to do?
    Anything else recommended while I am in there?
    I read something about a modification that should be done to a bracket or something, but did not find details, can someone help me?
    I see I need 2 special tools to remove the fan, does anyone have the part numbers for these?
    Are there a description of how to do this procedure for the 4.2SC? I could not find any.

2006 Supercharged

Post #585768 1st Mar 2021 9:49am
Jayk69

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Barolo Black

I do not have a petrol i have a 4.4TDV8, from what i understand the job is a little easier as access is better on the petrol cars.
but my approach was as regardless it is a Pain of a job you just want to to it all in one hit.
all belts
all pullies
all tensioners
and new water pump for good measure

I also have the alternator and Air con compressor checked over at the same time.
<y belts had never been changed and i had a squealing. for good measure i have posted a pic of the state of the belt after 115k miles Shocked

2012 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 - Current
2014 Navara V6 - Gone
2004 Vogue TD6 - Gone
Grand Cherokee - Gone
Discovery V8 (LPG) - Gone
Discovery TD5 - Gone

Post #585769 1st Mar 2021 10:15am
Ian928

Thank you,

I feel that it is a bit overkill to change all pullies, do you know if there are known issues with them? 2006 Supercharged

Post #585788 1st Mar 2021 1:06pm
Jayk69

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Barolo Black

i get ya and no no know issues but the job is a pain to do so if you have it in bit why would you not change them all?
thing is you change 1 or two then 2 months down the line one of the others go??
it is why i changed the water pump as with new tensioners and belts the system is fully tensioned and can then finish off the WP 2012 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 - Current
2014 Navara V6 - Gone
2004 Vogue TD6 - Gone
Grand Cherokee - Gone
Discovery V8 (LPG) - Gone
Discovery TD5 - Gone

Post #585802 1st Mar 2021 2:02pm
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

I've just had the same issue with mine and I replaced the bearings in all of the pulleys.

See my thread here: https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic57991.html

David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #585815 1st Mar 2021 3:28pm
Ian928

Interesting. I will consider this route, the difference in cost is very big! What tools did you use to remove the fan? 2006 Supercharged

Post #585970 2nd Mar 2021 5:53pm
dhallworth

I bought a viscous fan tool from Powerful UK and used a long thin fan spanner to undo it. It took quite a lot of force. The most awkward bit was getting the fan shroud out past the air con pipe.

If you remove the top hose you can manipulate the air con pipe and it will come out in one piece.

Post #586122 3rd Mar 2021 10:05pm
Ian928

Thank you for that info! I changed a water hose from the pump to the back of the engine without removing the shroud, very avkward. I remember concluding that it was impossible to remove the shroud without removing the AC pipe, I see I was wrong. 2006 Supercharged

Post #586132 3rd Mar 2021 10:42pm
dhallworth

I broke my original shroud when I removed it and have just replaced it.

If I removed the top hose from the radiator and the two small pipes that go to the coolant bottle and the radiator it would have come out in one piece.

Once you’ve removed them, pull the air con pipe towards the front of the car and it’ll come out.

You have to remove the fan and the shroud at the same time so be careful not to drop the fan in case it damages the radiator.

Post #586136 3rd Mar 2021 10:57pm
Ian928

I read somewhere that the shroud could be split, is this not the case, and you need to remove the fan and shroud at the same time? What are the engineers thinking🙄 2006 Supercharged

Post #586156 4th Mar 2021 7:12am
Ian928

I had a look through old posts to see if there was some history missing and this post just stopped so I will update now for others that search.

We had to fix this three times because we did not get the root cause the two first times... All of the below is regarding the main belt, we have not had any problems with the belt for the supercharger.

First time we changed all the bearings in the idlers and tensioners plus water pump, this held up a few years before the sound came back and in the end the belt jumped off.

Second time we assumed the tensioner in itself to be tired, allowing the belt to wander forwards. We changed tensioner and again belts. Again after short time the squealing sound came back (cold mornings only).

Third time, we now were able to see the belt and tensioner jumping, and again did a lot of searching to find out that there is a updated Idler Pulley (PQR500350 in the parts drawing in my first post). The updated idler pulley have shoulders to help guide the belt through the long stretch from the tensioner to the alternator. We changed belts and the idler pulley, and now the squeal is gone, hopefully forever! Be aware that you need to remove a bracket under the Pulley Bracket and modify this just a little bit with a file, angle grinder or similar. There are posts on this forum with details. I am amazed that we did not find this information when we searched the first time but that's how it is.

And yes, regarding the fan shroud, we have learned to remove and refit this quick (but not painless) after 3 times! We did break it the first time, it is very fragile on the LH side, we repaired it but it broke again the second time. We have learned to just fit it broken and it works well. I think this shroud is amongst the most stupid design I have seen. If someone redesigned this to be split in two and made so you don't have to bend the AC line (it is no problem to bend the line, it just feels wrong) I guess they could have sold a few. Powerfuluk, do you read this? 2006 Supercharged

Post #664681 22nd May 2023 12:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1