Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > Update on Navtool
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 7 <1234567
Print this entire topic · 
SimonL322

Canada 2012 Range Rover Supercharged 5.0 SC V8 Orkney Grey

I've been trying to decide between Navtool and Unique AD...

I was maybe leaning towards the Navtool, but some of these issues such as the battery drain, the wiring harness change, and the lacklustre support are giving me a great deal of concern. Plus they have no YouTube video for the late L322 models, and no manuals on the website.

Post #689627 1st Apr 2024 5:25pm
TorontoDee

Canada 2012 Range Rover Westminster 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

If you can live without AA/CarPlay and just want to up your audio, we can connect locally sometime to demo my installation and possibly even buy my Invery which I don't use anymore. Smile

(Hello from East York Ontario)

... I'm also looking about a year out and will be uninstalling the Navtool and putting in a new 10 or 12 inch android head unit (need some money first though) 2012 Supercharged L322

Post #689630 1st Apr 2024 5:32pm
SimonL322

Thank you for the offer TorontoDee

I already have an Invery. I just miss having CarPlay.

I like the idea of retaining the original headunit, but an android headunit is also another option I’d consider. Are there any specific ones that you’re considering?

Post #689640 1st Apr 2024 7:22pm
TorontoDee

Navtool does CarPlay wirelessly, flawlessly. I'd just go that route. I'll post a link to the other board with the method to install. Navtool also supplies a good enough set of instructions for your make model and year. I could also assist if you get stuck too.

https://www.rangerovers.net/threads/2012-l...st-2335796

As for the dash unit replacement via AliExpress, there's an few OLED screen options with 8gb of RAM an a Qualcomm chip that I have my eyes on... Just not flush with cash ATM or the desire to disassemble the entire dash. Smile 2012 Supercharged L322

Post #689641 1st Apr 2024 7:30pm
SimonL322

Hi TorontoDee,

I asked Navtool for instructions for my make model a year, and they sent me instructions for the 2009 Range Rover. I know that this my model it has to installed behind the glovebox, but it doesn't give me huge confidence that they don't seem to have written instructions for my exact model. I'd like to know exactly what I am getting before I hand over $750 CAD.

As you have it installed, I thought I'd ask some questions:

1. Does it still use the OEM microphone?
2. How do you find the audio quality of CarPlay? I noticed you had to make some tweaks to volume, treble etc.
3. To switch to CarPlay, do you have to go to the camera view and then hold the red button on the steering wheel? (As I saw in the older models you can simply hit the navigation button)
4. You're intending to replace with an Android head unit... is that because Android Auto is not so good? Or for other reasons?

Post #690322 9th Apr 2024 4:26pm
TorontoDee

Duplicate post. 2012 Supercharged L322

Last edited by TorontoDee on 9th Apr 2024 4:50pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #690326 9th Apr 2024 4:48pm
TorontoDee

1. Yes.
2. Excellent once both the Rover & Navtool DSP audio levels are tweaked.
3. yes.
4. I just want a bigger screen and more RAM and better processor

PS I can send you the instructions offline if you want 2012 Supercharged L322

Post #690327 9th Apr 2024 4:49pm
clemenz

Austria 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

AndréL322 wrote:
Your topic seems still to be relevant. Did you had the same problem as I have now? So, no 12V at the Navtool after installing it with the harness and starting car? In my case I Received NAVSGF4.0 and sw-update 7.5. I've contacted support last week, but no reply from theme thus far. Much appreciate your reply. Thanks.

Did you get any reply?

Post #691071 22nd Apr 2024 8:30am
SimonL322

I now have the NavTool installed in my 2012 Range Rover, with huge thanks to TorontoDee!

Installation

I followed the installation instructions here.

I ran into some trouble fishing the RCA from the head unit down to the radio module as described in the link above, but that was easily solved by removing the glovebox. It was so easy to fish the wires after doing that.

Click image to enlarge

Then I had trouble towards the end, trying re-fitting the dashboard vent - that was solved by unclipping one side of the vent fascia, which made it much easier to get the vent into place.

It's a bit congested behind the glovebox, so I have the NavTool positioned on the side of the centre console. The NavTool is bulky and only just squeezes in here. My car used to have deployable side steps at one point, so there was a module for that here - which I ended up removing to make room for the NavTool. (If I ever find some used side steps, maybe I will have to redo things, but I doubt I will ever find side steps that are in good shape.)

Configuration

I made some adjustments to the audio levels, based on what TorontoDee has previously posted here on the above link. It sounds pretty good.

I had to buy a wireless CarPlay dongle (CarlinKit 5 specifically), as the NavTool's built-in wireless CarPlay was frustrating to use. Pairing was painful, and then after the phone was paired it would only connect to the NavTool sporadically. When it was connected, the audio would cut in and out sometimes.

Review

I'll start with the bad...

Having to select the camera view, and then hold the end call button every time you start the car is a little annoying, especially compared to the Android head unit in my other car that boots straight into CarPlay.

There are no swipe/touch gestures, but this is to be expected given the screen is from 2010.

NavTool maps the mode button to play/pause in CarPlay, but at the same time, it still causes the OEM head unit to change the audio source.

NavTool/CarPlay appears washed out - and changing the brightness in the OEM head unit, or changing the brightness/contrast in NavTool does not do anything to fix this. I know the screen is capable, because all the OEM functions appear great... just not NavTool.

The NavTool video output is analog, so maybe that is a reason why it's washed out ... but because it's analog, small text is not crystal clear on the screen.

It was frickin' expensive for what it is, especially when converted to Canadian dollars... $850 CAD, and then I had to buy a wireless CarPlay dongle on top of that.

Now for the good...

I really like that I retain all the original functionality and aesthetic of the OEM screen. I guess I shall see how often I use that CD changer from now on Laughing

The NavTool was entirely plug and play, which helped simplify the installation somewhat. Installing an Android head unit or the UAD module, requires a lot more disassembly of the dash.

NavTool utilizes the OEM microphone, which is great... I know that Android head units and the UAD module require a aftermarket microphone.

Post #691346 26th Apr 2024 3:40pm
TorontoDee

Excellent write up and review! Very well done. 2012 Supercharged L322

Post #691350 26th Apr 2024 4:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 7 of 7 <1234567