Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Should caravans be...
Night time driving only
Yes
34%
 34%  [11]
No
65%
 65%  [21]
Total Votes: 32

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
47p2

Scotland 
Should caravans be...

banned to night time movements on the roads only? Shocked

Then those motorists who complain that they are being held back will have nothing to complain about.

Post #144696 4th Oct 2012 6:47pm
BrianC

Scotland 

It's people who drive too slow with a caravan should be banned all together
People should be made sit a test to tow a caravan IMHO (I had to pass the b+e due to my age )

Post #144700 4th Oct 2012 6:55pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Well I was going to vote yes, then thought that they only annoy me when they are holding me up, or when there is a massive tailback and they don't pull into a layby to let the cars past every so often....

I'm not a caravanner..........as you may be able to tell.

My next door neighbour is, and according to the internet, his caravan is heavier than his car.

Which can't be good.

At least you guys should be able to get out of a muddy field 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #144703 4th Oct 2012 7:00pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

LOL, well I'm not exactly sure which drivers I hold up, considering I managed to get my only speeding ticket with the caravan on the back.

Post #144720 4th Oct 2012 7:27pm
JOKER

Scotland 

Same could be said about car drivers as I have been held up behind them when driving around B roads with the MH ... Some can be total R.Soles ====================================

"Open Mike Night " sounded like a lot of fun until i found out i was going to an Autopsy

Post #144727 4th Oct 2012 7:45pm
RCusden

Wales 

Oh Censored I pressed the wrong button Embarassed I agree with the comment about all drivers should sit the trailer test before towing a caravan I had to and learnt a lot

Post #144741 4th Oct 2012 9:07pm
Muddywheels

England 

Lets ban tractors and lorries too because they hold me up with or without my caravan Rolling Eyes

All drivers passed after 1997 have to sit a test before they can tow a caravan Confused

I had enough van bashing on Freel2 and looks like it is spreading Evil or Very Mad Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #144751 4th Oct 2012 10:23pm
IanV8

Scotland 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

Instead of imposing a ban on caravans why don't you all protest to the government and get the speed limits for trailers matched to the speed limits for cars.

I can easily maintain the car limits but I am breaking the law to do it.

What really annoys me is the car in the middle lane who won't pull in meaning I have to overtake on the inside or go into the third lane.

Ian

Post #144784 5th Oct 2012 8:52am
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Not true,

I haven't passed my test yet all i need is my 52yr old mum or dad to sit next to me, and my mum isn't even in a state to drive herself yet she holds the right licence to 'coach' me on the driving with a trailer as the combined weight of my rig is 4.3tonnes or thereabouts.

I don't rush with the 'van don't get me wrong but if there is a queue behind me i'll pull in so they can go faster as they wish.

I too though think that during rush hours, like the bus lanes, lorries and vans should be confined to the lane 1 of motorways and dual cabbageways to help traffic flow.

Like drivers as pointed out above some 'vanners are tools. IF the police could and would fine them for causing an obstruction to traffic when they cause long tailbacks it would be good. Just think, a long tail back and some poor officer or ambulance driver gets caught at the back... thats a lot of traffic for them to fight through that could have been avoided potentially so they do actually endanger peoples lives...

or just shoot them and save everyone the grief Wink

I think some of it is really down to some car and van combo's being well over the 85% rule if not 100%...

Some vehicles can cope but not many and the ones that dont... well it never has a happy ending... FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #144788 5th Oct 2012 9:01am
47p2

Scotland 

I came up the M6 on Monday with a trailer on, the number of knob drivers who sat in the middle lane and would not pull over to allow me to pass was unbelievable, I just seemed to pass on and another was in front again...

The other problem when towing is feckin truck drivers that wait until you are at their rear and about to pass and they pull out into your space and start an overtaking manoeuvre, which leaves me stuck behind them for the next 3 miles all because the Censored in the inside won't lift off his accelerator for 2 seconds to allow the other truck to pass...

Does my tuts in... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Post #144794 5th Oct 2012 9:40am
Muddywheels

England 

Kingpleb - to accompany you towing your mum must be insured to drive your vehicle and capable of taking over as she is deemed to be in control of the vehicle - your statement suggests otherwise Shocked

Roads have become congested and everyone is in a rush so lets blame caravans - maybe I should sell my caravan and take my holidays abroad to prop up the euro Yawn

I sit my cruise at 60 and change lanes appropriately but spend most of my time braking and sat behind lorries overtaking and cars sat in the middle lane because I cant use the third lane and am only allowed to do 60 on motorways so should I start abusing them and asking for them to be banned Confused

I am capable of doing 60 on normal roads but am forced to do 50 and if I cause a queue and see a place to pull in I do - finding places is another matter Rolling Eyes

My dad towed a caravan up Scotland with a morris 1100 when we were kids in the 70's - now those were queues - but despite now having a powerful 4x4 to tow I am still expected to do the same speeds Rolling with laughter Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #144800 5th Oct 2012 10:14am
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Not what i've been told by a traffic officer, though they would be covered 3rd party anyway for insurance...

The problem i have with the stupid f'in rule is that someone who has NO towing experience can be sat next to me instructing me on how to tow!! Ludicrous as while im not as experienced as other people towing i know how to be sensible with it and how to load up and check everything properly...

TBH on the motorways i dont bother with 60. i find something doing 55/56 and set the cruise on behind them as even at braking distance it helps the MPG a bit and the td6 isnt frugal at the best of times Wink FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #144802 5th Oct 2012 10:27am
TheAllSeeingPie

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged Supercharged Java Black

As much as I hate caravans (not because of the roads, but because the Caravan club don't allow tents at some sites) I had to click No for this poll. It's not the car/caravan/van/other that causes congestion, it's the ridiculous selfish attitudes of the minority of people driving them. Although I deliberately left out lorries there as I know some hauliers put ridiculous targets on their delivery times (there's even been court cases around the fact that some schedules demand 48 hour driving with no sleep to complete and are therefore unsafe and unrealistic), so I can understand how they are essentially forced into doing whatever they can to get ahead (this does not forgive them for tailgating, especially in 50mph zones).

At least on the continent, when it gets busy people either pull out of the way or speed up to clear the congestion. Admittedly they have lower overall traffic density, but they also seem to have more overall sense when it comes to letting people get on with their journeys. Although the distance they drive apart can be scary sometimes, at least they know that it's not acceptable to be a twonk and slam your brakes on to prove a point, instead they usually expect you to either get out the way or speed up. 
07 Supercharged - Still breaking her in!

Boot soundproofing part 1 - http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15612.html
Custom exhaust - http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15296.html
18" wheels for Brembo equipped cars - http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15052.html

Post #144822 5th Oct 2012 12:32pm
Muddywheels

England 

Camping & caravan club allow tents too Thumbs Up Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #144823 5th Oct 2012 12:46pm
Contraband

Scotland 

^^ what mr pie said.. Every time I drive in France I am always impressed by their lane discipline on dual carriageways. As soon as they overtake they pull right back in again, even if they are going to have to overtake again in a short distance. It is unusual for someone to just hang in the overtaking lane because they see something in the distance.. Which seems to be the Censored rule in Britain Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad . Previously..
Vogue SE TD6
Defender 90 2.4
Defender 110 TD5
Vogue 3.5 EFI

Post #144834 5th Oct 2012 2:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>