Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Still too Warm for Winter Tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
TheAllSeeingPie

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged Supercharged Java Black

It's ok, it made me learn something I'd been putting off Laughing 
07 Supercharged - Still breaking her in!

Boot soundproofing part 1 - http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15612.html
Custom exhaust - http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15296.html
18" wheels for Brembo equipped cars - http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15052.html

Post #153028 23rd Nov 2012 9:51pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

JUst saw this posted on the D3 site.

Pleased to see my Nokian WR G2's rated higher than the Vredesteins..... Whistle

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2011-...e-Test.htm

Post #154399 29th Nov 2012 6:55pm
TheAllSeeingPie

I've ordered the GoodYears to go on my new wheels (arriving tomorrow!) simply because they got the best average rating 8/8/8 due to the fact we get more wet, ice and dry cold weather than snow. Worked out quite cheap and gained the missus about 3000 billion Tesco clubcard points in the process ... 

18" wheels for Brembo equipped cars - http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15052.html

Post #154400 29th Nov 2012 6:58pm
jez000

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Bournville

Interesting the Vred's come in 7th in that test in Gaz's post so how come they are so highly rated here and on the Disco forums ? does the Vred suit our car better than other 4x4's or is it a size or price thing ? 2021 P400 Silicon Silver AB
Gone 2011 Bournville TDV8 VSE
Gone 2008 Black Canadian HSE LUX

Post #154428 29th Nov 2012 8:44pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Probably a size thing - I know when I bought mine, Vreds were the only winter tyres I could get in 255/50/20.

When comparing, people are only really comparing their summer or all season tyres with the winter ones - I've had my Vreds for 5 winters already and still have about 6mm of tread left, so can't see me ever trying another tyre.

Though it seems there are others now including the Conti's that came 3rd - but the test didn't cover things like outside edge wear which plague their summer tyres on a FFRR.....

Post #154431 29th Nov 2012 9:02pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

not sure of the true value of that test. it tests in dry, wet and snow - no mention of ice at all.

Most tyres with a semi aggresive tread are ok in snow, even mud tyres. Getting going and stopping on snow isn't much of a problem. For me the true test of a winter tyre is road holding and stopping on ice.

Post #154450 29th Nov 2012 10:42pm
MPx

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Waitomo Grey

It may just be a matter of degree, though the scores suggest a biggish difference. I've not got any experience of these other Winter tyres. When I bought my Vreds (2010) I took advice on various fora and the Vreds were clear favs. Having them on the car in Winter is a revelation compared to summer tyres...but that's not to say I wouldn't find the others in this test even better. But looking at the wear rate this set will be OK for another 2 or 3 years and the game will probably have changed again by then... Mike - MPx

2017 5.0 V8 Supercharged SVAutobigraphy Dynamic SVO Palette Grey (2021-...)
2012 5.0 V8 Supercharged Autoboigraphy Orkney Grey (2017-2021)
2007 4.2 V8 Supercharged Vogue SE Tonga Green (2012-2017)
2002 4.4 V8 Vogue Bonnatti Grey (2008-2012)

Post #154457 30th Nov 2012 12:20am
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

I think the number of Winter Tyre options is increasing and in the UK it seems to be a lot about there performance in the wet (UK weather...).

Most Winter Tyres will be great in any Snow get here in the UK but they have to perform in dry/wet and possibly summer as well.

Vreds are a great tyre but there are probably better "Winter" performance tyres with the big manufacturers now into the UK market big time.

The Nokians are favourite in Finland and other snow all winter countries but then they don't see a lot of tarmac!

I will report how well they do in the UK on here Thumbs Up

Post #154461 30th Nov 2012 9:00am
steptoe

England 

jez000 wrote:
Interesting the Vred's come in 7th in that test in Gaz's post so how come they are so highly rated here and on the Disco forums ? does the Vred suit our car better than other 4x4's or is it a size or price thing ?

Emperors new clothes Very Happy

How can you rate a winter tyre if you've only tried the one type. Wink

Post #154472 30th Nov 2012 11:46am
TheAllSeeingPie

I got the Compomotive wheels fitted today and they fit perfectly, as soon as I can get a pic I'll start a new thread. Smile 

Post #154650 30th Nov 2012 11:19pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

steptoe wrote:
How can you rate a winter tyre if you've only tried the one type. Wink

I think those on here have rated Vreds against their regular tyres.

I can't opine on Vreds vs Diamaris and the Vreds are noticeably better in the winter - I've never actually run them in the summer.

All that said, I doubt many of us really drive to the limits that are required for a meaningful test.

Post #154672 1st Dec 2012 10:47am
AJS4X4

This is worth a read for those thinking about Vredestein Wintrac 4 Xtreme's, an E-Mail I recieved from Stuart Jackson who is the MD of Vredestein UK, my question to him reference year round use of Wintrac 4 Xtreme's

Dear Andy,

Thank you very much for your question relating to our Wintrac 4 Extreme product.

You are quite correct in what you say, being a brand leader in winter (or cold weather) tyres, we recommend that a season change is made wherever practical and financially viable for the individual consumer. Why? Simply because this ensures the highest possible performance.

This however, also relies upon the individual making sure that the tyres are inflated to the correct pressure, regularly checking the condition and, of course, using an appropriate driving style in relation to the road conditions.

The SUV market in the UK has seen significant and consistent growth, especially in recent years, and we have seen a massive growth in the popularity of the Wintrac 4 extreme – being the first choice for many SUV drivers. Despite having a dedicated summer SUV and all season SUV derivative (also seeing major growth), the W4X is by far the most popular and one of the biggest selling tyre of its kind.

In fact, the UK is the only one of our subsidiary companies that has a demand for the tyre all year round. We have special production runs to be able to cope with the demand.

We have countless SUV drivers who fit this tyre for all year round purposes and it performs. If you consider the amount of wet weather we experience, combined with temperatures at 7 degrees and below (not to mention the need for self-cleaning properties), this tyre design will offer you additional performance characteristics when you need them.

In the last couple of months alone, we have delivered over 25,000 units, most of which will be used all year round.

In answer to the suggestion that winter tyres wear quicker in summer; this may have been more relevant years back when the product was much less technical than it is now. With the technology that’s built into the modern product this is much less likely to be the case. But that can also depend on individual driving style. Under normal circumstances you would see little difference.
We are often asked about increased use of fuel if using winter tyres through the summer months. You shouldn’t see a significant difference provided you maintain the proper pressure, checked monthly. In fact, running a summer tyres at lower pressures than recommended will actually use more fuel.
I must stress that fitting winter tyres to the drive wheels only, is not an option. Today’s more advanced vehicles means that the vehicle requires and compensates for handling and braking on all four corners. Having winter tyres on only two wheels versus four, can cause significant handling issues and should never be done.
We recommend you get into the habit of checking the pressure and carrying out a visual check for noticeable damage and-or foreign objects in the tyre, at least once per month. You should always use the recommended tyre pressures in line with manufacturers recommendations. And you should also consider changing the pressures if you regularly carry a number of passengers or additional weight. In these circumstances, the tyre pressure usually needs to be increased.
Also remember, that the handling characteristics of individual SUV/4x4 vehicles can easily be compromised. It is recommended that when 4x4 tyres are changed, all four are changed at the same time to ensure consistency and safe handling.
I would much rather see a quality winter tyre used during the summer, than a summer tyre in winter!

Thank you for the significant contribution you make to ensuring the safety message is carried to the consumer.

Kind regards

Stuart Andy....

www.ajstyres.co.uk www.ajs4x4.co.uk

01737 241370.

Always best to phone first.

Post #154763 1st Dec 2012 8:43pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

^^^^ very interesting. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #154766 1st Dec 2012 8:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123