Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Anybody park on a steep slope?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Jim_m_kidd

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue
Anybody park on a steep slope?

Hi - I am having a bit of a problem with my EPB in that in the morning I get the flashing park light (red) and a couple of bongs...

I am parking on a drive that has about a 1 in 4 slope and ever since I had the rangie I have had the problem. What I notice is that when applying the handbrake there seems to be an uneven pull, (i.e. one side 'grips' better the the other), you can see/feel this as one side of the car goes higher.

Then when getting in the car in the morning (or after parking up for a bit) I get the red light and bong action - every time.

Dealer can repeat but is now saying this is normal behaviour as the disks are shrinking?

So just wanted to know if anybody else parks on a steep slope regularly and have had problems with the park brake? Help much appreciated before going to bat with the dealer

Thanks

Jim

Post #196650 28th Jun 2013 5:48pm
Bellini

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

I don't park on a steep slope, but I do park on a slightly sloping driveway and a pretty steep driveway when parking at the in-laws.

I don't get any messages. I'm not sure what anyone else does with their EPB, but I apply mine manually when in Neutral before shifting to P and then release manually as I always felt mine straining a bit to release the brake. I didn't like that, so don't rely on any auto EPB action at all in the vain hope it's kinder to the system. Si. <This is my name.

I eat rat poison.

A man ain't truly been insulted until he stands buck naked in front of a woman and she didn't even notice. Or care.

Post #196654 28th Jun 2013 6:00pm
Jim_m_kidd

Thanks Bellini - That's how I prefer to operate it. Initial dealer suggestion was to use the transmission brake as the primary, then apply EPB, but I found this made me force it out of park!

Any others with thoughts folks?

Post #196658 28th Jun 2013 6:13pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Common issue and resolved by adjustment and cleaning. The EPB shoes act on the inside of the hub part of the rear discs and they do need regular adjustment.

Maybe worth reading Bodsy's brake bible which details how to do all these things if you're up for doing it yourself, or if not find a good indy who knows how to do it.

Check out this link - pick the latest version. This is Discovery based but the systems are all basically the same, just different sized components.
http://disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4184

Post #196677 28th Jun 2013 7:09pm
TugRR

United Kingdom 

. . . Just spotted, Jim, you have a Galway green car - I bet that's an eyeful - never seen one before ?

Thumbs Up Where do you go after one of these . . . ?

Post #196689 28th Jun 2013 7:24pm
Jim_m_kidd

Might be a disappointment - only not sure if it is Galway or Tonga!

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #196700 28th Jun 2013 8:30pm
Katash

England 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Maybe worth putting the system into 'bedding in' mode and following the procedure to re-set up the dynamic force limit on the actuators.

Post #196747 28th Jun 2013 11:45pm
TheAllSeeingPie

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged Supercharged Java Black

I park on a steep slope and just park up and put the parking brake on while the car's still in D and then move it to P and turn the engine off. As I park I do try and make sure I don't use too much brake pedal pressure, as sometimes it can "jolt" a little when you come off the pedal after turning the car off. Not really had any issues, although occasionally I do get a bong, I just re-apply the parking brake it and goes away. 
07 Supercharged - Still breaking her in!

Boot soundproofing part 1 - http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15612.html
Custom exhaust - http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15296.html
18" wheels for Brembo equipped cars - http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15052.html

Post #196751 29th Jun 2013 12:12am
Jim_m_kidd

Just to say that it's with a dealer under warrenty - they've done adjustments, replaced the main actuator, they have looked at it 6 times without fixing it. Now it's being described as normal!

AllSeeingPie - can you tell me when you get the flashing red light, is that after it's been parked up and you get back in, or is that initially when you apply the brake?

Thanks for all your parking experiences!

Post #196765 29th Jun 2013 8:30am
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

Don't know about normal but it is very common these days with cars manufactured with the handbrake operating on the rear disks and not on seperate drums or drums incorporated into the rear discs.
Through normal driving the discs become hot and thus expand in size.
When you park the car the handbrake is applied tight as normal but thro time the discs cool and contract in size.
The result then is the handbrake loosens off.
Quite a few cases of cars being parked on slopes running away after a period of time due to this.
I seem to remember Vauxhalls and VW's are bad for this.
Not so critical on an automatic where a parking pin will hold the car if the handbrake loosens but on a manual car potentially deadly.
Manufactures using this handbrake system now recommend also putting the car in gear when parking. Confused
Imo this system does not constitute a working handbrake and should be banned.

Post #196770 29th Jun 2013 9:31am
TheAllSeeingPie

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged Supercharged Java Black

Usually it happens when I get back to the car. Looking at ndfi's explanation that does correlate with when I've been driving the car a bit friskily before parking up. When you apply the park brake hold it for 2 seconds and you'll hear it put extra effort into locking properly. 
07 Supercharged - Still breaking her in!

Boot soundproofing part 1 - http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15612.html
Custom exhaust - http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15296.html
18" wheels for Brembo equipped cars - http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15052.html

Post #196791 29th Jun 2013 11:18am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1