Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic > UK to forward ban on new diesel & petrol cars to 2030
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
verydisco

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tangiers Orange

Let's enjoy our big V8s while we can, but Electric cars offer many advantages over ICE vehicles, that's a fact.

Mind you you can drive in a Big V8 with very low emissions without opting for an electric car:

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/post573334.html l=Oo\________/oO=l l:OolΞΞΞΞΞΞΞloO:l

Current
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L SDV8 - 2013 - Indus Silver, on Almond.
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L V8 - 2002 - ex-2003 G4 Challenge Event Vehicle, Stage 3: Australia
RANGE ROVER HSE 4.4L V8 - 2004 - one-of-one Overfinch
RANGE ROVER P38a 4.0L V8 - 1999 - ex-2000 TReK Event Vehicle: South Africa

Previous:
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L TDV8 - 2012 - RANGE ROVER 3.6L TDV8 x3 - RANGE ROVER Td6 x1 - RANGE ROVER Classic 3.5L V8 x1

Post #573335 18th Nov 2020 5:08pm
Brian Considine

United Kingdom 

stan wrote:
we need to get over this virus before we think about something 10 years in the future..

Really Stan - is that the best comment you can come up with ?

I agree that CV-19 is a very serious & far reaching issue but even by general forum off-topic standards it has very little to do with the fossil; fuel/EV debate. Lets just have a punt at 1 > 2 years to get over CV-19 then double that for things to part recover, then you are 6 > 8 years from the current "ban".

Yes, lets not worry about it for ten years - then, when the wheels literally fall off the green revolution we can blame CV-19. 2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6

Post #573342 18th Nov 2020 5:56pm
PaulTyrer

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Cairns Blue

AJGalaxy2012 wrote:
I went electric back in February, I had the concerns that are talked about - Range Anxiety, Charging Points, Extended Journey time etc. All of them were complete non events. I do some long(ish) journeys in my i3 Gainsborough to Bournemouth, Gainsborough to Swansea etc, none of them causes me any anxiety at all. I have to stop for about 30 minutes after 100 miles and that adds another 100 miles back onto the range. Performance is amazing cost per mile blows me away. I think it will happen as planned and it will be a good thing.

BMW i3: from £33,025

Not everyone can afford to lay out £33 grand on a small electric car though! We live in Wiltshire and I do not think I have seen a rapid charging point anywhere!
I certainly could not afford to buy an electric vehicle, and what about the local garage mechanic who will no doubt be out of a job!

Will Carrie's next project be to scrap all Classic cars........

And where does the electricity come from? Thats right! Power Stations.......

Will hybrid cars also be banned as they have petrol engines as well as the electric ones!

There was a program on the TV last night about Data Centres and 'The Cloud'. In Ireland there are so many Data Centres ( I have worked on the Design of a Data Centre in Cork for Microsoft) and the amount of energy they consume means that Ireland will not have sufficient power resources to power them!!
Add in the additional demand for electric car charging points and we'll all be back in the 70's with power cuts!!

Censored to 'renewable power' and the blight on the countryside of bloody wind turbines lets get more Nuclear stations built!!!

Last edited by PaulTyrer on 18th Nov 2020 7:00pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #573346 18th Nov 2020 6:55pm
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

My wife said what about those dirty trucks, buses and aeroplanes - I didn’t really have an answer and a bit like Stan I’ll worry about it later. Worrying now about flights abroad next year and tax rises.. No tax income from fuel or VED as well as paying off the COVID costs gonna be a problem, maybe I’ll just join the green dreamers and shake the money tree. Geoff

Post #573347 18th Nov 2020 6:55pm
PaulTyrer

What about Motor Sport? Multi-Million pound industry, Most of the current F1 teams are based and built in the UK.

Can you imagine the Le Mans 24 hour? 1 hours racing, 3 hours to recharge, 1 hours racing (max speed 40mph!) 3 hoiurs recharge!!

Or do they just ban everything? Lets face it, the UK is slowly becoming a Police State as it is!!!
Scotland! Go out of Tier 4 area - get arrested!

Post #573349 18th Nov 2020 7:08pm
Siftah

Spain 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

dingg1 wrote:
An ill thought out decision, better hurry up building all the infrastructure for the electro revolution.

Rolling Eyes

There's already more charge points than there are petrol stations and... there's a plug socket in every home, so perhaps not *that* big of a deal? Smile

Most of the common myths about National Grid infrastructure are busted here too: https://www.nationalgrid.com/stories/journ...les-busted

Post #573360 18th Nov 2020 8:20pm
Siftah

PaulTyrer wrote:
What about Motor Sport? Multi-Million pound industry, Most of the current F1 teams are based and built in the UK.

Can you imagine the Le Mans 24 hour? 1 hours racing, 3 hours to recharge, 1 hours racing (max speed 40mph!) 3 hoiurs recharge!!

The LeMan 24 hour's already been won by a Hybrid and there are EV specific race leagues. I think the current Nurburgring record is held by an EV too. Smile

Post #573361 18th Nov 2020 8:23pm
Siftah

supershuttle wrote:
My wife said what about those dirty trucks, buses and aeroplanes - I didn’t really have an answer and a bit like Stan I’ll worry about it later. Worrying now about flights abroad next year and tax rises.. No tax income from fuel or VED as well as paying off the COVID costs gonna be a problem, maybe I’ll just join the green dreamers and shake the money tree.

The latest airliners have been dumping hydraulics and moving to electricity already, clearly, battery technology isn't ready to swap out the main engines yet, but it's a start.

There are electric buses and trucks too, though they're not as mainstream as passenger cars, they're coming Smile

VED doesn't really fund the roads anyway, "Road Tax" disappeared a long time ago, roads are funded from general taxation and have been for a long time. Your VED is there as a punishment for stopping the UK meeting it's carbon emission targets.

Arguably a bigger taxation issue is taxing corporations who "avoid" tax with offshore entities and various other tricks, making up for a couple of hundred quid a year from the average Joe isn't going to be much of a challenge...

Post #573363 18th Nov 2020 8:27pm
PaulTyrer

You are correct that the 24 Hour has been won by Hybrid cars, I have seen them in 2013 and 2014 and there are EV races.

But what about the environmental impact of electric cars?

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/emissio...vironment/

Lets face it, in the UK if Boris can't handle this Covid crisis how the hell can he do this! He probably wont be in power after Christmas anyway!! Carrie will take over!!

Post #573365 18th Nov 2020 8:33pm
Siftah

ur20v wrote:

It’s like relying on one fuel source at home, if things go wrong then you are stuffed, having a wood burning stove, gas hob and electric cooker mean there’s always a way to heat and cook food. If you are on electric for everything then there’s a blackout or electrical fault at home you are sunk until a repair is sorted.

Same for transport. A mix is good. Just make the emissions and green credential targets as struck as the government needs then let the manufacturers work it out.

Electricity isn’t all green by any means and doesn’t suit all transport needs.

Not sure I follow your logic here tbh, The beauty of electricity is you can generate it and store it with a huge amount of ways. Your diesel car will run on... diesel. Ok, maybe chip fat if you can be bothered and no doubt, bio engineered sources of fuel too, but you can't easily pop to the shop and pick them up right now.

With an electric vehicle I push the problem of generation to the grid, who can get the benefits of volume and be more efficient. The grid is mostly powered by renewables nowadays, with just some Gas and occasionally nuclear for backup, there's very little coal.

If I can charge my car from any plug socket in the country, plus use Solar, Wind and other locally generated sources, then it's way more resilient...

Put it this way, if the Zombie Apocalypse comes tomorrow, I'll be glad to have a full tank of diesel in the car - but I'd be even happier to have an EV I know I could bodge together a solar charging station for, or whip up a little aero-generator from an old alternator, or perhaps turn an old washing machine into a hydro generator with a stack of old lead acid batteries for a power bank.

I've no idea how I'd go about refining diesel to keep the RR on the road Rolling with laughter

Post #573366 18th Nov 2020 8:34pm
Siftah

Andy S wrote:
The big elephant in the room in this debate is the carbon footprint of all the extra rare earth minerals which will be needed to manufacture the batteries plus all the component manufacture of the wind/solar equipment needed to create the leccy to charge said batteries.

Na, this doesn't add up - the mileage you can do on a set of LiIon batteries far outweighs the environmental cost to mine the lithium etc. Now we've improved the heat management on them the degradation is very low, manufacturers are warrantying them for much longer and even 10+ year old cars have still got ranges of a few hundred miles.

EV's typically take less than 3 years to pay off their environmental debt, so you've a good 7+ years of usage where you're much more environmentally friendly than an ICE engined vehicle.

Post #573368 18th Nov 2020 8:37pm
Siftah

PaulTyrer wrote:
Lets face it, in the UK if Boris can't handle this Covid crisis how the hell can he do this! He probably wont be in power after Christmas anyway!! Carrie will take over!!

I share your concerns about Boris, for sure, but I expect that the change to EV's will actually be lead by consumers, I think we just need a couple of years to get used to the idea.

Don't get me wrong, I love my petrol engined and diesel engined cars, since passing my test a few days after my birthday, I've owned at least 1 car (usually 2 or 3) and generally 1 or 2 motorcycles my entire life. I love cars!

I'm more than happy to do a commute in an EV if it means getting to keep my RR on the road for weekend/recreation driving though - to be honest, with traffic and speed bumps and all the other annoyances of commuting, an EV's a pretty nice/relaxing vehicle to do it in, fully auto, unlimited torque, 1 pedal driving, silent, cheap to run and I can charge it on the drive so I never need to stop at a petrol station again, heaven.

Post #573372 18th Nov 2020 8:47pm
Highroller

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Java Black

What about the noise Shocked ?. The sound of V8 / V10/ V12 on full chat. Straight cut gears & the induction sound of Webers Big Cry .
I appreciate that we will have to change, but it's the time scale that I'm not happy with. Remember when the Government pushed the sale of Diesel vehicles ( Now the wicked witch of the west) Evil or Very Mad .

May look into a Hybrid or EV in a few years time, hopefully when things have settled down & technology has moved on a little more. In the mean time Running V8 for while longer & hopefully my race car will increase a bit more! Rolling with laughter

Post #573373 18th Nov 2020 8:51pm
Siftah

And the smell... that mix of castrol, tyre rubber and clutch on a sunny summers day at Oulton, will never be beaten.

Still don't think you can beat the noise of an A series gearbox with straight-cut drops, heaven.

Think of it this way, the quicker we adopt EV's for the boring commute, the more emissions we "save" and the more scope we have for keeping those amazing engines on the road/racetrack, where we can *really* enjoy them...

Post #573374 18th Nov 2020 8:56pm
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Well I think it’s good to have targets like these. If they weren’t set then industry wouldn’t be moving fast enough. Besides the ban is only on new sales; it won’t affect existing stock.

Other countries have different measures and some are well ahead than others. In the Netherlands Tesla alone sold more cars than other manufacturers combined in the quarter running up to June iirc. In Amsterdam you won’t get a parking permit issued anymore unless it’s an ev.

Get ready for loads more measures. Besides we should focus on how to make this happen, not come up with excuses on why we can’t do it.

Besides only 14.8% of dwellings in the Uk are flats. I’ve have no data on the subtypes of those but my flat in London had two underground parking spaces, and valet parking Smile

This really isn’t so much of an issue as some want it to be.

Post #573397 18th Nov 2020 10:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 9 <123456789>