Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic > UK to forward ban on new diesel & petrol cars to 2030
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
TJRL

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

Discotigger wrote:
There's a lot of discussion going on about the reasons why batteries are being used rather than hydrogen fuel cells, I could write an essay here on the topic!
Unfortunately it all comes down to a seriously flawed human perspective. Remember back in the 80's there were two types of video format, Betamax and VHS? Which ended up being the forerunner and why?

Answer - VHS because of better marketing?

Even though Betamax was technically superior. 2010 Range Rover TDV8 Baltic Blue Autobiography (2011 MY) - SOLD Sad
1960 Land Rover SII SWB SW
2020 BMW R1250 RT LE
2021 Triton ST-125 (Monkey Bike)

Last edited by TJRL on 20th Nov 2020 10:32am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #573518 19th Nov 2020 11:10pm
Paul J.

England 

Did someone mention towing?

Cool Gone D3
Gone FFRR L322
Gone FFRR L405
Now on the JLR electric highway ....

Post #573521 19th Nov 2020 11:30pm
Siftah

Spain 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

TJRL wrote:

If hydrogen could be made cheaply then I am sure it would be the only game in town. But when it costs so much compared to petrol (let alone diesel or electricity) not a chance. However, I seem to recall that one of the Scottish islands has such a surplus of wind energy they installed a hydrogen making plant, that in effect is free to run.

You need electricity to make Hydrogen, so why not just cut out the middle-man and use electricity?

I think that's essentially the reason - Hydrogen is just not as efficient as Electric, once you factor in the energy used throughout the whole lifecycle it's way more efficient to use battery powered vehicles directly charged from Electricity.

I don't really understand why people are interested in hydrogen tbh, it seems a pain in the bum compared to just charging with electricity?

Post #573525 20th Nov 2020 12:10am
Discotigger

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

@TJRL & @ Siftah the main reason batteries are touted is because everybody perceives 'portable electricity storage/delivery systems' this way. We are deluded to think of the national grid or batteries as the 'easy' way to transport electricity, in fact at the moment outside of batteries it's the only way to 'transport' electricity...or is it?
As you pointed out, the Shetland Islands produce so much electricity that they use the excess to electrolyse water and produce Hydrogen (and Oxygen) which is then transported to mainland UK and is used (in part) to fuel hydrogen fuel cell cars. The main problems with hydrogen technology are all based on human misconceptions:
Question: Hydrogen is a flammable gas, wouldn't it cause a massive explosion if the gas was released in a car crash?
Answer: It's no more dangerous than gasoline, or even lithium batteries (have you seen some of the video clips of Tesla cars on fire after an accident?)
Question: Hydrogen is expensive and difficult to produce?
Answer: It's only expensive to produce because the demand for it is too low to enable 'mass production' techniques to reduce the costs,
Question: We don't have an infrastructure for hydrogen refuelling.
Answer: What is going to become of the Petrol Stations once Petrol/Diesel is no longer sold. These stations could be easily reconfigured into hydrogen refuelling stations, protecting livelihoods and jobs without having to set up an entirely new infrastructure as will be required for battery charge points.
Question: What makes hydrogen fuel cells better than batteries?
Answer: Quicker to refuel a hydrogen car than recharge a battery vehicle (by a very large magnitude of order), better range with a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle, ease of transport of hydrogen (you can transport hydrogen from the Shetlands to anywhere in the UK in a road tanker and it's not dependent on an electrical transmission system), storage of hydrogen is much cheaper than storage of electricity in 'mega' batteries, production / storage / use of hydrogen does not require difficult to mine minerals (cobalt, lithium, etc.) and does not have a 'shelf' life (remember you can only use a battery for so long then it becomes 'spent' and needs recycling, only 50% of a lithium ion battery can be recycled and the rest has to be disposed of!)

So, why did VHS beat Betamax in the video race...human misconception. VHS quality was crap versus Betamax (most television production companies used Betamax for filming), public opinion was swayed by marketing and most importantly it was touted as being the cheaper 'greener' alternative.

One thing I forgot to mention is this...
Ask 100 people at random what a hydrogen fuel cell is and the majority will reply 'A WHAT?' Until people are educated, they will stick to the simple things they know, after all everybody knows what a battery is...even if they don't know the difference between 'Wet Cell', AGM, Lithium-Ion, etc.

Post #573526 20th Nov 2020 12:17am
TJRL

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

There are many benefit for hydrogen:-

1) You can refill your car in about the same time as a petrol or diesel one. So no worrying about hours and hours of recharging times.
2) The range is about the same as a petrol car. So none of "range worry" that many have about EVs.
3) Hydrogen is everywhere, but the materials need for batteries are very limited. In fact there may not be enough lithium etc. to make the batteries for the EU's cars let alone the whole world (and the environmental cost is very high). - NB This may end up being the deciding factor in the long term.
4) Refueling hydrogen cars is just like how we have been refueling our cars for the last 50 years or more. Whereas EVs have all sorts of issues if you only have on street parking with trailing leads etc.
5) Hydrogen cars have a known range per tank that does not drop much during the winter months or with the air con running flat out. EVs can lose half their range (or more) in cold weather

In summary; refill timing, range, abundance, easy of use and range stability.

Of course hydrogen has also a few "Cons":-

1) Many of the points above assume there is a wide spread hydrogen infrastructure, which there isn't! So for now batteries are winning.
2) Storage is at pressure (bit like LPG), so smaller vechicles like motorbikes are harder to make than say an EV bike.

Neither technologies is ready to roll out "full bore" right now so it will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Shocked 2010 Range Rover TDV8 Baltic Blue Autobiography (2011 MY) - SOLD Sad
1960 Land Rover SII SWB SW
2020 BMW R1250 RT LE
2021 Triton ST-125 (Monkey Bike)

Post #573529 20th Nov 2020 12:45am
Siftah

Spain 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

All interesting points regarding hydrogen. I've certainly seen a few people touting hydrogen as being a better alternative to EV's but haven't yet come across anything that really seems to definitely back it up though.

I'm just about old enough to remember the Tories promoting Diesel in the late 80's/early 90's and forcing the car industry down that route, so I'd not be surprised if there's similar stuff happening nowadays either Smile

Post #573530 20th Nov 2020 1:31am
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

@discotigger great example. Even more so as you forgot to include the best of the consumer versions Video 2000. There were actually three VCR standards Wink

Post #573534 20th Nov 2020 4:48am
Bl4ckD0g

Oh and the Betamax used in filming is nothing like the consumer Betamax in recording. Bit of marketing going on there as well. Video 2000 was by far the best.

I wouldn’t mind hydrogen, shame it never took off. In the early days we even looked into having a production station at our property. Mercedes did hydrogen versions of their s class and gl class.

Post #573535 20th Nov 2020 4:58am
AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

Discotigger wrote:
There's a lot of discussion going on about the reasons why batteries are being used rather than hydrogen fuel cells, I could write an essay here on the topic!

I would be interested to read that, please do!

Discotigger wrote:
Unfortunately it all comes down to a seriously flawed human perspective. Remember back in the 80's there were two types of video format, Betamax and VHS? Which ended up being the forerunner and why?

Thats an easy one, Betamax was the latecomer to the party and was the better system (just), VHS was much better marketing and was more available eg video libraries etc. Shortly after Betamax appeared on the market S-VHS appeared which surpassed the Betamax performance, the rest is history.

J BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Post #573538 20th Nov 2020 6:56am
Bl4ckD0g

Actually, that is not true at all. Betamax was on the market before JVC launched VHS.

Cost, VHS was much cheaper and recording time, VHS was able to record 2 hours from the start whilst Betamax could only do 1 hour, would arguable have been much more persuasive arguments. Cheaper was because JVC licensed the technology; whilst Sony kept Betamax to themselves, and Philips/Grundig/ITT/B&O did the same with their V2000 format.

As you acknowledged yourself Betamax was good at marketing its superior format, whilst in reality that wasn't true at all for the consumer-grade systems; well about 10 lines more of recording, barely noticeable on those devices.

Super VHS was the only system that recorded broadcast quality, but besides myself and in commercial settings, I don't know anyone else who bought into that.

Post #573539 20th Nov 2020 7:24am
AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

I had S-VHS and later Hi8, both were great quality, as good as it could be at the time for sure. BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Post #573543 20th Nov 2020 9:45am
Brian Considine

United Kingdom 

Bl4ckD0g wrote:
Oh and the Betamax used in filming is nothing like the consumer Betamax in recording.

Indeed, for once we agree.

I made the choice to go VHS for a number of reasons - choice in manufactures (or badge engineering), the fact that the rental companies favoured VHS & my dislike of the company that produced Betamax - in fact I have never had any equipment from them that has lasted much outside the warranty period.

IIRC V2000 entered the market late & could not catch up with the footholds gained by the others. 2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6

Post #573545 20th Nov 2020 10:05am
Bl4ckD0g

Oh gosh forgot about hi-8 Smile

I still have a s-vhs recorder 🤣 And minidisc.

And swiftly back to the topic also ICE cars 🤣

Post #573551 20th Nov 2020 10:50am
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

I can see the debate has moved on a bit and I have to say I had lost interest but as a Tory myself I realise it is fashionable to blame us for everything - one of the previous posts blames the Tories for diesel, maybe worth reading this -https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41985715 Geoff

Post #573554 20th Nov 2020 11:26am
Bl4ckD0g

Yeah I was thinking that. I thought the diesel revival in the UK was much later under labour. I arrived in the Uk in 1996 and remember distinctly many of my friends making fun of my “tractor”. I used to do about 20K miles and it made sense for me at the time. Never understood this fascination with diesel for the majority of low mileage drivers.

Post #573555 20th Nov 2020 11:32am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 7 of 9 <123456789>