Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Help me out with the suspension on my 'famous' 4.4TDV8 L322!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 18 of 29 <123 ... 171819 ... 272829>
Print this entire topic · 
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

pcourtney wrote:
I guess the likelihood for a height sensor to fail is pretty high on these L322's Mad

so shall I just replace all 4 height sensors at the same time, given that my 2011 was 11 years old last week Smile

NB I also can't figure out how to do live readings on my IID - so maybe overkill, but probably best to replace all 4 sensors !

I'm not a fan of 'parts bin diagnostics', sometimes it's not an actual 'part' that's causing the issue - you'd also need to have the air suspension recalibrated along with the ADM - which would be a lot of wasted time & effort if it made no difference.
BTW, the height sensors are hall-effect, not resistive so shouldn't 'age' (although the mechanical parts will be subject to wear) as much as you'd think they would.

Post #643283 18th Sep 2022 4:37pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

GraemeS wrote:
Phoenix wrote:
. high(er) resistance would usually lead to excess current flow
Quite the opposite - the higher the resistance the lower the current flow.

Except for the current consumed 'crossing' the corrosion - yes, the consumer will be drawing lower current but the circuit as a whole will draw marginally more as the poor connection heats up (a FLIR camera is really good for tracing resistive wiring faults!). Ohm's law is often quoted but never seems to explain the (ultimately) melted connectors & fuses that I see on a weekly or monthly basis.

Post #643284 18th Sep 2022 4:41pm
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

The assumed extra current due to localised heat is just a transfer of heat generation from the device being powered to the poor connection site. As there is no increase in electrical load for the completed circuit there cannot be an increase in power consumed. A different story if there is a leak from a corroded joint to earth, such as when corrosion on a battery terminal that is leaking to earth through moisture as an additional load is involved.

Post #643298 18th Sep 2022 10:05pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

But in the end, the connector still overheats and the fuse still ruptures.... Semantics I know, it does illustrate that reality doesn't always conform to proven laws of physics.
The assumed extra current is usually measured as such by the fuse - the blown one.

Post #643300 18th Sep 2022 10:13pm
Range Rover L322

United Kingdom 

2012 4.4 TDV8 AB

As per this topic the ride has not been as soft as I expected for some time.

Last week - suspension fault, limp mode, max speed 30mph, still managed 40-50mph to the brilliant New Forest Garage Services in Cadnam, Southampton.

Front right ride sensor wasnt working correctly. The compressor was overheating while compensating and probably had been for years.

Replaced front right height sensor
Replaced compressor

The ride is now amazing.

. 2012 L322 4.4 TDV8 AB low mileage - a peach
1986 V8 Defender 90 County ex-Swiss Army - Red everything....

My preferred Independent: Roy Hardy. R & B AUTOS LTD, 20 Brook Road, Wimborne, Dorset, BH21 2BH (Ex LR Chief Technician)

Last edited by Range Rover L322 on 20th Sep 2022 8:53pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #643419 20th Sep 2022 7:31pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

That’s good news. Ordered height sensor for mine this morning from Duckworths.

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #643422 20th Sep 2022 7:46pm
colalowe

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Hi all

Im wondering if my height sensors are faulty and this is causing the harsh ride, I recorded the voltages on the sensors whilst raising and lowering the car on the drive, you would expect a smooth transition through each move but my readings on the Front Left and the Rear Right have some spikes on them.

I wonder if these spikes are whats causing the adaptive dynamics to firm up the suspension?

Its difficult to see the graph but the right side of the lines should all be flat at the end as the car was stationary. 2012 TDV8 Autobiography Baltic Blue
Previous
2007 BMW M5 E60

Post #643580 22nd Sep 2022 10:54am
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

Are you measuring the suspension height sensors or the adaptive dynamics (CVD) height sensors, noting that there are 2 height sensors in each physical device.

Post #643586 22nd Sep 2022 12:33pm
Ffrr-lover

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

Take a look at this…

Pretty much the same symptom re spikes, however his was generating an error. We just experience harshness.

However it’s a good theory it’s causing harshness due to confusing spikes. I thought the same yesterday and drove monitoring the 4 corner voltages. It’s hard to say if the spikes were due to normal bumps, or were occasionally erratic… so intend to diagnose further.

What I did notice was that the road bumps different spikes front / rear. Although it could be due to a heavier front of car causing it to bounce more / less.

Again more investigations needed here…

One thing that I do see and wonder if it’s an issue, is that the voltages are different. My ride height is level, however I am seeing a difference of around 1v

Click image to enlarge

This is stationary, normal height… I know the “figures” are relative, but does that difference indicate a problematic sensor or sensors? Currently driving: 2012 L322 SE Overfinch 4.4 tdv8

Past rides:
2014 Audi Q7 3.0d (good riddance)
2010 L322 Autobiography 5.0 Supercharged
2011 L320 HSE 3.0 sdv6
2014 Jaguar XF-RS 5.0 supercharged
2007 BMW 535D
2005 Mini Cooper S

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic59478.html

Post #643588 22nd Sep 2022 12:38pm
Ffrr-lover

GraemeS wrote:
Are you measuring the suspension height sensors or the adaptive dynamics (CVD) height sensors, noting that there are 2 height sensors in each physical device.

I’m using the IIDTool which doesn’t expose the CVD values. My simplistic thinking is that while there are two outputs (height and CVD) they pull that from the same component that could be faulty.

I think I’ve read on this forum that there are two outputs as they use different incompatible communication methods… whereas newer (L405 I assume) now use the single output. Currently driving: 2012 L322 SE Overfinch 4.4 tdv8

Past rides:
2011 L320 HSE 3.0 sdv6
2007 BMW 535D
2005 Mini Cooper S

Post #643589 22nd Sep 2022 12:43pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

The two sensors are exactly the same for the EAS & ADM, the reason for two is that the extra processing required to broadcast on CAN was too much of an overhead at the time, it was considered better to input the signals directly rather than have potential delays or missing messages on CAN. Obviously things have moved on and L405 works happily with network data.
There is a graph showing the correct range of front, rear, left and right height sensor voltages, the rears are generally as posted above, I'll add the graph to this post later.
In my opinion, it would be a mistake to measure the EAS voltages and assume the same voltage is present at the ADM, the signals are analogue DC so are easy to measure at the ADM, if you don't have any data logging equipment, then a simple plausibility test would be to display the EAS voltage on your diagnostic system and use a voltmeter to measure the signal at the ADM as you change the suspension height. If the voltages agree, then its safe to assume the voltage displayed from EAS will be the same as the voltage at the ADM. Obviously that needs to be done for each height sensor, it would be a good idea to check for any mechanical issues with each sensor as well.

Last edited by Phoenix on 22nd Sep 2022 3:50pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #643602 22nd Sep 2022 3:42pm
colalowe

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Buckingham Blue

GraemeS wrote:

I was measuring the Voltage from the height sensor for the suspension via the GAP IID, I don't think we can get the output for the CVD system through the GAP tool, I wasn't aware that the sensor provided two separate outputs.

Do we know of a way of reading the output for the CVD from the height sensor?

Are these the graphs you mean Pheonix?

2012 TDV8 Autobiography Baltic Blue
Previous
2007 BMW M5 E60

Post #643603 22nd Sep 2022 3:49pm
Ffrr-lover

So those graphs suggest the voltage between the two fronts (and applies to the rear) should be the same. My 1v difference would indicate Ann 80mm difference in reported height?

Or am I missing something…. Currently driving: 2012 L322 SE Overfinch 4.4 tdv8

Past rides:
2011 L320 HSE 3.0 sdv6
2007 BMW 535D
2005 Mini Cooper S

Post #643606 22nd Sep 2022 5:27pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

You're reading it wrong - 3.1V on the left (green line) is pretty much bang on standard height (zero line) 1.9V on the right (red line) is also pretty much bang on the zero line.

Thats the graph I was going to post BTW

I think there are misconceptions on the function of adaptive damping, transient signals indicate momentary height transitions, for these, you want soft suspension, not the suspension firming up as soon as a spike begins to form.
changes in the signal that are maintained over a longer period (and we're talking tens of milliseconds and above, not single number periods or a high frequency of transitions both up and down) together with accelerometer input is what will, or should, cause the duty cycle to increase. along with CAN info from brakes and steering angle.

Think of what the inputs should look like if you were flinging it into a left-hand tight bend:-
Front right height sensor mean signal would drop to ~1.5V or lower, rear would drop but by less of a margin
Front left height sensor mean signal would rise to ~3.6 or higher, rear would rise but by less of a margin
Front right accelerometer voltage would rise, front left would drop, rear would barely change.
What should happen is the front right damper stiffens, possible to a >50% duty cycle, front left would possibly stay the same or even drop below 30% (nominally all the dampers operate in the low to mid 30% in a flat road in a straight line with little acceleration) the rears should follow but at a reduced percentage.

Now jam on the brakes - the rear accelerometer will go negative very fast and the rear suspension voltages will go high on the left & low on the right, also very quickly, obviously the front will follow suit, both front accelerometers will rise in voltage and the front dampers should change the duty cycle close to 100% on the right, slightly less on the left, the rears will be stiffer but nothing like the front to enable the airsprings to keep the tyres on as much tarmac as possible for maximum braking.

All the above numbers are pure guesswork, LR and others keep the precise algorithms close to their collective chests but the functionality I'm suggesting above comes from real-world diagnosis & testing across several marques.

It's hard to give accelerometer nominal voltages as it depends upon altitude, last weekend both vehicles were reading 2.03VDC when stationary on all sensors (apart from one that was identified out of tolerance on the subject vehicle) The published tolerance is +/-0.05VDC but the diagnostics were reading (I think) to 8 decimal places, whether that is relevant or not, I have no clue.

Post #643612 22nd Sep 2022 6:36pm
Ffrr-lover

Ah, yes now I see that. Thank you for correcting me and giving the very detailed posts Thumbs Up Currently driving: 2012 L322 SE Overfinch 4.4 tdv8

Past rides:
2011 L320 HSE 3.0 sdv6
2007 BMW 535D
2005 Mini Cooper S

Post #643613 22nd Sep 2022 6:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 18 of 29 <123 ... 171819 ... 272829>