Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Please help choose my first Full Fat RR
Which path to take?
Buy a 2015 - Land Rover Approved car and install an Android aftermarket headunit (cheaper option)
40%
 40%  [11]
Buy a 2017 - not under warranty car and attempt to put it under Land Rover warranty later (expensive option)
59%
 59%  [16]
Total Votes: 27

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
caymanblack

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

Haylands way will cost the extra £300.

Post #592876 1st May 2021 1:41pm
Rufus135

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Loire Blue

I’ve just seen this thread. I live around the corner from Tim Fry and viewed this car. I had a lovely Disco 4 and was looking at my first FFRR. They are really decent guys at TF. I’ve used them for servicing etc. When I looked at this RR, they were telling me not to sell my D4 as they’re better cars! But regardless of that, I ended up buying LR Approved Vogue SE SD4.4 from Taunton LR.
My issue with the RR in question was how badly it has been scratched. The black rear panels on the pillars were really poor. I wanted an RR to feel fully spoilt and luxury and the exterior just put me off.
This car was/is at around £48k? I got my ‘68 for £56k or thereabouts but good mileage and all the options that I wanted. The interior seemed a big jump from the pre-facelift as well and I felt reassured by the full used warranty.
Overall though my point I suppose is that I would def recommend Tim Fry. That RR seems pretty nice but it has very much been used as a “Land Rover” product and not molly coddled etc.
I did a list of extra features that the AB has over the Vogue SE and realised that I either didn’t want most of them or that they may well be the trouble points anyway.
Also one final....Tim Fry vs local Chelt LR main dealer garage.......TF really nice guys, east to talk to. Main dealer had leant me a demonstrator which I had enquired about buying. Took them over 2 weeks to “get back to me”....by which time I already had my new car on the drive. 🙄

Post #592928 2nd May 2021 6:52am
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Any garage that tell me to not get a car because x is a better car I immediately take with a pinch, not make that a bag, of salt. 🤣 Everyone is entitled to an opinion but what a lot of nonsense. They are very different cars targeted at different audiences.

Post #592932 2nd May 2021 8:23am
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

caymanblack wrote:
Haylands way will cost the extra £300.

It will get the OP the warrantee he wants and the dealer will pay for the cost...!!! Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #592935 2nd May 2021 8:43am
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

eugeneville wrote:
Bl4ckD0g wrote:
Read the terms and conditions from Land Rover. That will have the answer within it.

I don’t think it’s odd at all. Many manufacturers do that. The original owner can extend the warranty in certain conditions, but subsequent owners cannot unless the warranty was transferred to them.

Why would a third part garage with no affiliation to land rovers standing be trusted to warrant cars on behalf of Range Rover?

I believe you've misunderstood my earlier messages, what I meant to write is that any Land Rover provided it hasn't done more than 100K miles, is not more than 10 years old and has had correct service done at the correct time can be issued an official warranty.
The process as far as I know is that the car is taken to one of the JLR service stations, car is checked for around £300 and the requirement is that any issues found my LR service men are rectified. Provided these steps are carried out then an official warranty can be issued for around £1200 a year.

What I find odd is that they are telling me that they can't take the car to an official JLR service station/dealership to have the above process carried out on behalf of the current owner (so thaf then I could purchase the car and the warranty to be carried over to me). I'm being told that it has to be the current owner in person to show up with the car at the dealership and do the above steps. Being told that the current owner is hard to get a hold of and he is very busy to be doing this.

Pardon if I wasn't clear before or if I have my facts mixed up or misunderstood.

Ok got it, a bit different then as it sounds to me like it is out of warranty at the moment.

So negotiate £1,500 off to cover the costs and do it yourself if you like the car. But it will become a challenge when it won't get under warranty...Personally I'd not be fussed about warranty. I really don't value it that highly to be honest.

Post #592939 2nd May 2021 10:07am
eugeneville

United Kingdom 

Thank you all again for your continued help and input.

It appears that chances of me buying a Range Rover from Tim Fry are getting smaller by the minute.
I am again being told that it has to be the current owner to go to JLR in person, have all the checks carried out by them and issue the warranty in his name. I then have to purchase the vehicle directly from current owner since if purchased from Tim Fry, Land Rover would void the warranty. It's all rather confusing and strange too.

I am now hoping to view this car:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/2...obcid=soc5

A bit more expensive, has two owners but less miles on the clock, FLRSH, outstanding balance of an extended LR warranty until late September 2021 which can be transferred to myself and the ability to extend this warranty further online without having to even show the vehicle at dealership.

Will let everyone know how the viewing went.

Post #593114 4th May 2021 12:06pm
eugeneville

United Kingdom 

Well that's four hours of my life wasted...
On the phone, the seller said that the car is in great condition, but in reality it was another story.
P.S. Tim Fry promised to call before eod but hasn't Sad
I am being told that Tim Fry himself (owner) offered a one year warranty but a person named Ron who is in sales and been working with Tim for 20 years has overriden that offer since if I come back to them with a faulty geaebox, they wouldn't be able to afford to fix it...

Post #593165 4th May 2021 7:12pm
Rufus135

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Loire Blue

Those photos are shocking! It is amazing how much tat is out there being sold with no apology. My old disco 4 took quite a while to find in good condition. My SD 4.4 is in v good condition so at £56k I thought it was worth the money for the facelift spec. Keep searching. Shame Tim Fry haven’t followed through positively.
Loving my Vogue SE, don’t be too swayed by the top spec AB. I specifically didn’t want giant wheels and wasn’t convinced that I needed massage seats or that the radar cruise control etc would work well enough to be worthwhile (have had this in a couple of BMW’s now and not totally convinced).

Post #593176 4th May 2021 8:33pm
Merchy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

Bloody hell, the above photos shout out that the car was not looked after, so what else could be wrong.
My old bus is now 15 years old and the paintwork looks far better, that one for it's age is horrendous.

Good ones are out there, just be patient.

Post #593183 4th May 2021 8:58pm
eugeneville

United Kingdom 

Thank you very much, yes the seller could have saved me a long trip if he was at least half honest...

For me an ACC is an absolute must, I appreciate it's not ideal, but I loved how it worked even on my 2010 sport.
I've read that they can be retrofitted rather easily but the coding part scares me a little and the fact that your loading an unofficial firmware is rarher dodgy if you ask me (if I've understood the process correctly).

I'm happy to wait but having to pay a substantial amount for a rental is no fun (my rrs is now with a new owner).

I'm also puzzled with Tim Fry, people I spoke to there in person all seemed like genuine, honest and trustworthy people. I was very surprised when they backtracked on a warranty promise they made just a day earlier. It seems as if they are telling me now that: "you are asking too many questions, you are paying too much attention to details, etc, we'd rather not sell it to you.."

Post #593186 4th May 2021 9:26pm
archermav

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Good luck with the search. Mines got auto cruise control or whatever the correct term is. Great system, works flawlessly (and my son loves the massage seats). I find that I don't use the silly cameras on the corners of the front bumpers, nor the gadget where person in the back talks to you at normal level and it comes through the speakers. Saftness.

Post #593193 4th May 2021 10:41pm
Martin2

England 

Theres a bit more to the AB than ACC and massage seats, it was worth the extra money when I was looking a year ago. MY23 Panamera E-Hybrid
MY19 SDV8 Autobiography - Sold

Post #593208 5th May 2021 7:49am
eugeneville

United Kingdom 

Found this gem:
https://www.inchcape.co.uk/used-cars/land-...to-124355/

It's a 66 plate but has the updated infotainment that I'm after.
Viewing it in the afternoon.
What do you fine gentlemen think of this one?

Post #593231 5th May 2021 10:36am
Martin2

England 

I think that looks great. MY23 Panamera E-Hybrid
MY19 SDV8 Autobiography - Sold

Post #593232 5th May 2021 10:46am
IGP

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Siberian Silver

It's also approved so you will get a warranty with it.

Ivan 2013 Vogue SE SDV8
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Luxury

Post #593235 5th May 2021 10:52am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>