Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > I'm now a Regeneration trainee nerd--lol
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 23 <123 ... 678 ... 212223>
Print this entire topic · 
luxmoggy

Germany 2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Montalcino Red

Bad news for me yesterday. I was at the KM for an active Regen. I head to the motorway. The Active Regen started and was completed, but the soot level stayed at 100%. I had this in the past and didn't think anything of it.

10 minutes later while stuck in traffic another Active Regen starts, of course, it doesn't get to the temperature. But it finishes. The soot is still at 100%. I then drive home another Active Regen starts and finishes. Soot is still at 100%.

3000KM dropped from the next service due. Still 16,000KM to go. So for people who say only 400Km from one service until the next. I think it could come from this situation. Unless I was monitoring I wouldn't know that an active regen was happening.

I will go for a drive now, to hopefully get an active regen to work.

The car is now under extended warranty so I will plan to do an Oil change in the new year (if this works). I will read a bit more about this. Use "Engine flush"? I also watched a video on DPF cleaning, I will need to know more about this, but maybe will do it at the same time as the oil change. SDV8 AB MY 2020
MINI Cooper S Cabrio
Kit: Jaguar XK140 (in progress - the website is link to build)

Post #650231 9th Dec 2022 9:03am
luxmoggy

I’m happy the drive this morning the active Regen work. It started about 1km from my house. But only got to temperature once on the motorway. I saw 600c plus.
The soot level dropped to 4% (lowest I have seen). Another 1000km drop until the next service. SDV8 AB MY 2020
MINI Cooper S Cabrio

Post #650241 9th Dec 2022 10:36am
Kot

United Kingdom 

Just done a return trip to Stanstead Airport (+200 miles) from Norwich in the early hours. No traffic and at -3C kept to max 70 mph.
Soot was 27 at the start, by the time I got home it was 23 so great example of Passive Regeneration, even at constant 260C-270C exhaust temps. 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #650246 9th Dec 2022 11:02am
kokamagi

Estonia 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

Yeah, passive regen is a good thing, but last few months it hasn't worked on mine, because EGR valve has been stuck slightly open. It is always 4%-points more open than commanded, so if commanded is 0%(fully closed) it is 4% open, if it is 10% commanded, it is actually 14% open etc etc.
So my question is, if there's any calibrating process for the EGR valve? Can't find it anywhere in IIDTool menus as far as I've looked.

If not, then it is a monster job ahead, because EGR valve is burried under everything - intake manifold, fuel rails, oil filter and cooler assembly, EGR cooler and whole EGR-body, probably coolant thermostat assembly and more...

Post #650273 9th Dec 2022 1:37pm
luxmoggy

shorter KM I am now at the next regen. I will go for a drive to do it today. I am getting everything together so I can do an oil change when needed. SDV8 AB MY 2020
MINI Cooper S Cabrio

Post #650860 16th Dec 2022 7:05am
luxmoggy

Apart from the soot %, what are other values I can look at to see what is happening in the DPF. As an active regen was run and it seems it was successful but the soot % is still 100. I have had this a few times in the past. It hasn't tried to fire another active regen and has gone on to do some passive ones.

If the next 2 active regens happen at the KM as the previous ones have happened, they will both be on a 7-hour blast on the autobahn.

I would recommend getting the device and the software to monitor this to anyone who has issues in a RR with a DPF fitted and the next service coming too quickly. SDV8 AB MY 2020
MINI Cooper S Cabrio

Post #650867 16th Dec 2022 9:29am
kokamagi

Estonia 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

Like I mentioned above, a slightly stuck-open EGR valve definitely causes more regens and sooner oil service.
Things I observe regarding a regen:
EGT B1S2 (pre DPF)
EGT B1S3 (post DPF)
DPF soot concentration
DPF differential pressure
EGR position commanded
EGR position actual
EGR Error
Exhaust Gas Volumetric Flow Rate
Exhaust Manifold Pressure
Oil Quality Fuel Dilution Factor

Post #650873 16th Dec 2022 10:02am
Kot

United Kingdom 

luxmoggy wrote:
Apart from the soot %, what are other values I can look at to see what is happening in the DPF. As an active regen was run and it seems it was successful but the soot % is still 100. I have had this a few times in the past. It hasn't tried to fire another active regen and has gone on to do some passive ones.

If the next 2 active regens happen at the KM as the previous ones have happened, they will both be on a 7-hour blast on the autobahn.

I would recommend getting the device and the software to monitor this to anyone who has issues in a RR with a DPF fitted and the next service coming too quickly.

If it's still showing 100% then you have stopped the car during an Active regen and the system is now waiting for the conditions to be acceptable (what ever they are Whistle ) for the Active regen to start again. Once warm and on a good stretch of road floor the pedal and get the 2nd turbo kicking in (obviously keep an eye on max revs). I find this does sometimes trigger it sooner. In fact it's good practice to exercise the 2nd turbo as it can see little action depending on driving style.

You did say on a previous battery thread that you also have the GAP v3 BT beta, so you should also now have the ability
to view live values etc you should have better PIDs etc with that device. Would be interesting what the beta has with DPF readings etc 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #650876 16th Dec 2022 10:18am
luxmoggy

4 Active Regen on the Motorway today. Only the last was successful. It seemed to have trouble getting up to temperature. This is twice in a row that this has happened, that a regen doesn't get to temp - causing a few fails in a row. Just wondering if could it be to do with a batch of fuel.

When I fill the car up for my big trip and also top up the Ad-Blue, I will make sure I go to a different company/garage than my last 2 refills. I might even treat the car to premium diesel.

I also will do an oil change before the trip. As in 6,000KM driven, 20,000Km has been dropped from the until next service. SDV8 AB MY 2020
MINI Cooper S Cabrio

Post #650982 17th Dec 2022 3:54pm
luxmoggy

I had a bit of time today. I am trying to set up IID for doing the monitoring.

Heres with the Car Scanner Software

Click image to enlarge

Heres with the IID Software
Click image to enlarge

Comments:
2 fields instead of one for knowing when/type of a Regen is in progress. Grams for soot (which is better) but would the Trigger % as all of my data so far uses that.
GAP is limited to 8 values. Car Scanner has a limit on a page but can have different pages.

A couple of other fields where I got funny data between the software. I will email GAP about them. SDV8 AB MY 2020
MINI Cooper S Cabrio

Post #651109 19th Dec 2022 12:19pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

Have you really got -40C oil temp lol check your PID in the list maybe its the wrong pid. 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #651130 19th Dec 2022 3:24pm
luxmoggy

the -40 came from the dongle not connected when I took the screenshot... Whistle

it works governer, honestly Wink SDV8 AB MY 2020
MINI Cooper S Cabrio

Post #651131 19th Dec 2022 3:27pm
luxmoggy

Just realised the "Car Scanner Pro" software is reading 100% for the soot level. The GAP IID tool is reading 3.2g.

I know which value I trust more now. Need to see if I can convert "%" to "g" in my history. So going forward I can compare the results a bit.

255 kPa differential pressure. Not sure about that reading. I will drive the RR tomorrow before the oil change and see what that value does. I will also see if I can find the voltage version of that sensor. I have done lots of reading on the L332 on DPF. There must be a reason why most of the time it has fallen back on the number of KM for triggering an Active Regen. SDV8 AB MY 2020
MINI Cooper S Cabrio

Post #651270 20th Dec 2022 5:46pm
Gremlin500

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

@Luxmoggy:

Shocked Hmmmm, I did wonder why my iCar Scanner Pro software & dongle very often reports Soot at 22%, although other levels seem to fluctuate when “live”. I’m now very sceptical, so will try my IcarSoft LRV3 tool to see what that says…….. Whistle “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #651300 20th Dec 2022 9:11pm
luxmoggy

I went and started the car the Differential Pressure dropped to a value of 0 or 1. When revving the engine. Also when revving the engine the soot grams dropped a bit as I think this is calculated a bit from the pressure.

On Thursday on the motorway, it will be interesting to see what happens when viewing the IID screens. Using the spread sheet the next regen should happen in 500km. SDV8 AB MY 2020
MINI Cooper S Cabrio

Post #651303 20th Dec 2022 9:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 7 of 23 <123 ... 678 ... 212223>