Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L460 2022) > Woke up this morning & bought a new 460 !!!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Maybe the argument for lane assist is along the lines of: "Because everything is through the touchscreen drivers are apt to wander out of their lane while distracted by trying to navigate the innumerable functions."... Rolling Eyes Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #648454 18th Nov 2022 3:22pm
Crocs

Scotland 

rvbush wrote:
So far as I know, yes it can be switched off, but I think that isn't really the point, especially as the system generally defaults to on. For such a safety critical function as steering it shouldn't rely on the driver remembering to switch it off. Lane assist is dangerous, full stop (yes, it's my opinion but I'd love to hear the argument for it, clearly demonstrating why it's safer than not having it).

On the basis that you haven’t really given any evidence against it, I’m not going to try to give evidence in favour. Other than I love it AND it helps strengthen my biceps!

Post #648459 18th Nov 2022 4:34pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

rvbush wrote:
So far as I know, yes it can be switched off, but I think that isn't really the point, especially as the system generally defaults to on. For such a safety critical function as steering it shouldn't rely on the driver remembering to switch it off. Lane assist is dangerous, full stop (yes, it's my opinion but I'd love to hear the argument for it, clearly demonstrating why it's safer than not having it).

I’m not going to entirely disagree with you. I experimented, I wasn’t that happy. I used the term “the car played chicken, and the car won’. Has to be set when I want to use it, not automatic as far as I know.
I think it’s horses for courses, some long excellent roads then it’s maybe an aid, not a replacement . roads around me don’t really come into that category. To much other stuff going on especially on the motorways.
Cruise control, I find inefficient. Very much better than before, but still prefer to use my foot/eye. Very good in a controlled area ie roadworks and say 50 mph to avoid going over the top.
Modern technology is an aid and I will use from time to time, now I’m satisfied I’m fully aware of its limitations.

Crocs is using the aid in a different way to my initial experiment , the fact he says his biceps muscle have improved shows he is alert & has full control. Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #648464 18th Nov 2022 5:51pm
cass

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

"(yes, it's my opinion but I'd love to hear the argument for it, clearly demonstrating why it's safer than not having it)."
Your argument that it is dangerous appears to be based on some vague claims that some people have crashed their cars and blamed the technology not their own incompetence.
Have you considered how many lives will have been saved due to people being reminded that they're driving a car while setting the sat nav/tuning the radio/texting/applying make up/lighting a cigarette etc. etc.

Post #648473 18th Nov 2022 7:32pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

Case

Devils advocate.

Taking it for granted all drivers are fallible. This where technology can assist, but not take over.

The lane assist is useful to avoid lane drift.
In france it’s terrifying watching the lorries , who are all over the place.

Sat nav… I would be lost without it.

Cruise control. Stops me edging faster and faster. Really easy to be hitting 100 mph
Also adaptive and slows the car down as approaching another car. Works extremely well, but my preference is my own eye and feet.

There’s the plus …. Smile

Bill Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

Post #648474 18th Nov 2022 7:44pm
rvbush

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Sorry guys, still not convinced. These so called 'aids' are ok if used properly, but we all know they aren't, my car has adaptive cruise and I do use it sometimes, but I still think it's unsafe in many hands (probably mine as well), and normal cruise is even worse. But something that controls the steering without driver input and can even wrestle with the driver? No, sorry not convinced. Lane drift? Try concentrating on what you're doing, you're driving a machine that can kill people.

And no, it isn't down to any annecdotal evidence (although plenty exists, they were examples), it's a first principles analysis. Drives:
2010 FFRR TdV8 Vogue - Stornoway Grey
2010 FFRR TdV8 Vogue SE - Zermatt Silver
1998 BMW E36 M3 GTII

Post #648512 19th Nov 2022 9:29am
Bill

United Kingdom 

The fact you acknowledge it’s an aid, makes it safer.
The arm wrestle was a topic last night, everyone at the table has it with their cars. They handle it, including a very slight woman. Seems if you are aware the car might do it, makes it workable. My earlier description was really my first experience and really caught me off guard. Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

Post #648522 19th Nov 2022 11:25am
cass

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

rvbush wrote:
. Lane drift? Try concentrating on what you're doing, you're driving a machine that can kill people.

I completely agree but how do you make that happen? Laws don't work when there are no Police to enforce them.
How about removing the distractions, no phones, sat nav, ICE etc. - Where do you stop?
I liked Clarkson's idea, replace the drivers airbag with a big metal spike, everyone would be concentrating on driving and nobody would ever crash.

Post #648530 19th Nov 2022 1:28pm
rvbush

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Yes, I liked Clarkson's idea as well!

Thing is, those who might benefit from having something that helps the poor dears stay in the lane they're in are exactly the sort who would be caught completely off guard if the thing decided they really didn't want to turn the steering in the first place. AND, they would have no clue how to turn it off or even why it had just done what it did. Most people driving cars are not enthusiasts and don't really care how it works so long as it gets them from A to B.

ABS, blind spot alert, reversing cameras, proximity indicators and stuff that doesn't try to reverse what the driver asked for is fine, but there it stops for me. Having thought more about it, emergency active braking is ok as well because most people don't hit the brake hard enough in an emergency and this isn't going to try and reverse what the driver asked for. Imagine if it did and you hit the brakes hard for an emergency and the car decided that you didn't want to do that and released them for you!!! Drives:
2010 FFRR TdV8 Vogue - Stornoway Grey
2010 FFRR TdV8 Vogue SE - Zermatt Silver
1998 BMW E36 M3 GTII

Post #648533 19th Nov 2022 2:06pm
Bill

United Kingdom 
Here we go!

So…… The car may be fantastic, but the service department is worse than bad. Same old same old.

I had a problem, the app gave me a shock as I woke up on Saturday morning at a hotel. YOUR CAR GAS BEEN STOLEN

Pulled on the trousers , the app under these circumstances is locked and you can’t locate your car, Helpfull!

The car is still there, but unable to open it. No response.

The man in a van was there within 40 minutes. Smile . Gained entry with the emergency key & Jumped started the car . Battery is showing 12.5v . The man in the van is puzzled.

80 miles later low battery warning starts & is constantly flashing up on the screen .

Woke the next day; Sunday.
Tracker alert by email , is your car there ? The tracker is registering interference.

After enquiring of the tracker co, it’s a battery fault.

Tried to contact the dealer today and four hours later get a call back from the service department. Need the car for 24-48 hours for a battery warranty claim . We have no cars available until the end of January. You could speak to JLR assist, they may be quicker ( actually extremely rude) . There is no option at assist for the car still works but needs fixing with JLR assist.

So, may be a nice car, but the dealer service section needs re-educating . In the meantime I’m stuck wondering if the car will work when needed. Polite email awaiting response. Not holding my breath. Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

Post #650569 12th Dec 2022 4:09pm
Martin2

England 

That's dreadful service. Thankfully I haven't had any issues with mine, so my only contact has been for routine servicing.

I had a couple of issues with my last car (BMW 750i), but was treated so much better. The service manager told me they were instructed to do anything they needed to in order to keep 7 series owners happy. A couple of examples

- Oil leak to one of the turbos found at service, a common problem apparently, so hopefully they've fixed it now it's installed in the L460! The parts weren't in stock or available same day, so without any messing around or arguments, I was given their 7 series demonstrator for a couple of days until it was ready and as a precaution, they replaced the other oil pipe as well.

- Went in for service, was told 1.5 hours so I decided to wait. After 1 hour, they told me the wrong spark plugs had been ordered so it would be at least an hour longer than expected. I was given an X5 demonstrator so I could get some lunch and told if it was more convenient, I could hold onto it for a day of two.

- Puncture on the M6 very late at night. Recovery sent and a taxi arrived at the same time to take me to my hotel about 90 mins away. Car was dropped off at the dealership in Stafford the following morning and I was collected from the hotel by taxi and and taken to collect a hire car. They apologised that all they had was a 3 series... I had several meetings I didn't want to change and meant it wasn't so easy to get to Stafford, but they were happy for me to keep the hire car for 4 days, allowing me to drop into the dealership to collect my car when I was travelling up the M6 againr, leaving the hire car at the dealership for them to sort out.

My wife had a Boxster for about 4 years. Only 1 problem in all that time, a leak from the brake cylinder which is just above the pedals so made a mess of the carpet. As well as fixing the problem (and providing a loan car for several days) , they took the whole carpet so they could clean it on both sides to make sure it was right and they gave us a pair of new leather edged carpet mats, because the drivers one didn't clean up perfectly.

Sorry for going on, but that's how you should be treated! MY23 Panamera E-Hybrid
MY19 SDV8 Autobiography - Sold

Post #650573 12th Dec 2022 4:31pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

Agreed Martin, a shirty little oik reading the rule book out doesn’t do it for me. Really pi55ed me off. Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

Post #650577 12th Dec 2022 4:44pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

No response from the dealer whatsoever .

Contacted JLR assist again. They were on it like a dog on heat. Car & replacement battery being sorted , might take 24 hours , not a problem.

Thumbs Up Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

Post #650587 12th Dec 2022 6:02pm
Martin2

England 

That's better. But really poor from the dealer. MY23 Panamera E-Hybrid
MY19 SDV8 Autobiography - Sold

Post #650591 12th Dec 2022 6:38pm
TJH1985

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

+1 for BMW here I had a couple back to back nothing as exciting as a 7 series but a 335d xDrive back in 2014 and whenever it had a issue or went in for a service I always got the very best service and loan cars. For example they found an oil leak on the gearbox on its second service, I had just dropped the car off as worked local, they needed it over night while they waited for parts so dropped off a 540i to my work to ensure I could get home. By comparison the only good service I’ve ever had from JLR was via Assist and never the dealers who often barely do the work it’s in for. Sold - Bell a 2015 MY16 Loire Blue Autobiography 4.4 SDV8
Previously George a 2007 MY07 Java Black VSE 3.6 TDV8
Previously a 04 MY04 Defender 90 Sad

Post #650630 13th Dec 2022 8:52am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 6 <123456>