Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > Rear Noise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
SVAuto_Man

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black
Rear Noise

Hi All, had an issue for a while, thought it might be the fuel "Slap" but not sure now.
Its a thud that can be just one or two or three, sounds a bit like when you have a 4 wheel drive car, Porsche etc, you turn on full lock and the front tires drag. But this is from the rear. Difficult to get it to happen, sometimes as I turned off my street, straightened up, going up a hill and start to accelerate, not hard. Had it pulling out on to a round about too. Seems to be almost if you a rolling slightly then power but not hard but as I say, I can not get it to do it when I want lol.
Its in the dealers next week as warranty but if I can not keep replicating it, no doubt be fobbed off. Any ideas??
Car is a 2019 SV Autob

Post #643036 15th Sep 2022 2:13pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

you started this same subject thread in august and had a few suggestions....any updates.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #643038 15th Sep 2022 2:20pm
SVAuto_Man

It went in for a quick look and other things, hour of a job so now its going in next week for 3 days. Tried fully fueled, half fueled and almost empty and made no difference, always the same. Doesn't seem to do it as it changes gear or going around a corner so I am pretty lost lol

Post #643039 15th Sep 2022 2:29pm
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

Are the dampers moving smoothly without stiction ? I had in my evoque a knocking sound from the rear which didn’t happen all the time, but I could feel thuds on down shifts, thuds on pull away at slow speed. I went through flushing gearbox, re-con diff, haldex full strip/rebuild, rear suspension arms, etc etc …. Only noticed that when jacking it up one time, that the suspension wasn’t extending out smoothly but rather sticking and releasing with jolts. This was the knock I was noticing, the dampers were seizing up.

Maybe something like that ? V8 or else ...

Post #643072 15th Sep 2022 8:18pm
SVAuto_Man

Hi ya,

I was planning on removing all the wheels one by one at the weekend to change wheel nuts and clean wheels etc. how did you notice the issue jacking the wheels? Air suspension so not used to how the jacking will effect the smoothness etc

Post #643078 15th Sep 2022 8:37pm
fisha

For me, as I jacked up the car slowly, as the suspension extended to keep the wheel on the ground m, rather than smoothly sliding, it would stick and release jumping about 5mm each time. Each release gave off a thud sound, which is what I was hearing during driving.

For example when braking to a stop, the front dips and rear extends. The dampers would stick in this extended position whilst at stand still. When I went to move off, as the weight transferred to the rear, the dampers would unstick and release creating a thud and lurch.

This tended to happen more when the car had been used for a short while rather than immediately from cold first drive.

To check on the suspension, would could go between heights and watch ether there is any sticking of the dampers as it raised or lowered … might need someone in the car to select heights as you watch each corner. V8 or else ...

Post #643097 16th Sep 2022 8:19am
SVAuto_Man

Good shout. I am taking the wheels off over the weekend if I get chance so will see if it is sticky etc.

Post #643100 16th Sep 2022 8:29am
SVAuto_Man

Tried jacking with wheels off at the weekend. Drivers side seemed a little sticky but not much to be honest

Post #643392 20th Sep 2022 10:22am
SVAuto_Man

Hi All,

Quick update. So its in the dealers who I knew would first start with "We can not replicate the noise" so I suggested I come take the tech for a drive. Managed to find how to replicate it. Park on a slight up hill. Car in park. Set of slowly turning slightly left and then slightly right and it does it. So appears rear diff issue. Ether dragging a wheel or diff noise. They are flushing it today and calibrating it.

Post #644177 28th Sep 2022 8:39am
memzy88

United Kingdom 

Great progress. Let us know how you get on 2017 Range Rover SDV6 AB
2021 Aston Martin DBS superleggera
2017 Aston Martin DB11 V12 - Sold
2021 Tesla Model 3 Long Range - Sold
2014 Range Rover SDV8 - Sold
2014 Bentley Continental GT Speed - Onyx Black - Sold

Post #644253 28th Sep 2022 9:38pm
SVAuto_Man

Will do. A bit disappointed as I was told a flush and calibration be done today as I have to have car back for the weekend, my tracker says they moved the car about 10 feet at 4.45pm and that’s it for today

Post #644255 28th Sep 2022 9:40pm
memzy88

United Kingdom 

Dealers are big let down for the brand unfortunately. But the product has no substitute so we all need to bear with them i guess. 2017 Range Rover SDV6 AB
2021 Aston Martin DBS superleggera
2017 Aston Martin DB11 V12 - Sold
2021 Tesla Model 3 Long Range - Sold
2014 Range Rover SDV8 - Sold
2014 Bentley Continental GT Speed - Onyx Black - Sold

Post #644257 28th Sep 2022 9:55pm
SVAuto_Man

Yeah exactly. To be honest, they are the best I have delt with. Had many JLR cars, BMWs , Porsches etc but JLR talk to you and listen, the others just read a script and that’s it. I know my issue will take ages to fix, but will be fixed and will be compensated accordingly. That the important service to me. The funny thing is that the car felt like the Ackerman’s theory of a four wheel drive car but on the rear lol

Post #644258 28th Sep 2022 9:59pm
SVAuto_Man

Hey guys, car is back in the dealer now for this to be looked at. What do you think, could it be this?

LTB00906v6 - Twin Speed Transfer Case Judder
Some owners might experience the below symptoms that are specified in a UK LTB.

The symptoms can occur before or after a transfer box oil change.

The LTB is:

" LTB00906v6 - Twin Speed Transfer Case Judder "

" A customer may express a concern that a judder is felt from underneath the vehicle when using steering input at low speeds, for example turning left or right at a junction. This technical bulletin has been updated due to a change to the warranty section, parts section, condition summary and service instruction. "

If you present your car to a LR Main Dealer with judder symptoms, they might suggest a transfer box double flush, road test and software update. Our car displayed these symptoms (3.0 TDv6). The procedure was recommended and resolved the issue. The LR Main Dealer applied no charge for the procedure.

The symptoms can be the subject of an LR warranty claim.

If LR AU Warranty declines the warranty claim, the MD can raise a case for LR to cover the cost via LR CRC.

Post #645813 17th Oct 2022 2:22pm
fisha

Yes, it does sound like your problem. The transfer case is where all the differences of rotation between the wheels meet and have to be accommodated by means of friction clutch plates slipping against each other. If the fluid is anything other than in good condition (which it won’t Agee’s tens of thousands of miles) then they can’t slip properly, and end up grabbing against each other until the forces become too much and they release suddenly, the release being the knock and judder your getting. V8 or else ...

Post #645820 17th Oct 2022 5:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>