Post Reply  Down to end
Page 32 of 39 <123 ... 313233 ... 373839>
Print this entire topic · 
Kot

United Kingdom 
Re: N759v2 - Front Knuckle Cracking - Technical Q&A

4RRS wrote:

Answer
A crack in the front suspension knuckle may propagate in the presence of extended exposure to road salt, this may lead to a detachment of the upper suspension arm, which under an extreme avoidance maneuver use conditions may compromise the vehicle’s controllability and increase the risk of a crash.

Extreme avoidance!!!!!
But most of the incidents we have seen have been low speed slight turns either off the drive or on a slight bend etc.
Typical JLR trying to downplay this issue 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #673492 16th Sep 2023 11:25am
Gremlin500

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

Well, I am NOT reassured at all, and will continue to inspect my 2017 vehicle on a weekly basis ad infinitum. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #673509 16th Sep 2023 4:30pm
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

Am I right in assuming that my VIN falls outside the range XXXXXXXXXXX136906, as Gremlin not reassured but would explains why no recall. Geoff

Post #673514 16th Sep 2023 5:19pm
AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

Kot wrote:

Engineers blue is used when mating to flat surfaces together then file/grinding paste to remove the high spots.
No way is it every used to find cracks.

Exactly my point, it was mentioned earlier in the thread that the MD had used engineers blue or similar for checking for cracks. Maybe they used it so they didnt find any Sad BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Post #673524 16th Sep 2023 7:29pm
cass

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

I was talking to a LR mechanic whose gossip has generally been accurate and mentioned mine is booked for recall next week. He reckoned mine (64 plate) will get new joints because of the build date. His explanation is LR have identified suspect batches of the components as they have more than 1 supplier for some parts. On cars that have these are KNOWN to be fitted they will be replaced. On cars that they COULD be fitted to they will be inspected and if the suspect parts are fitted then they will be replaced. If they confirm that the suspect parts are not fitted then they will not be replaced as they wont fail.
His take on the risk of failure is that the joint that fails is under most load on full lock and under very little in the straight ahead position - this does seem to fit with the reported failures with all of them at low speed turning into drives or other parking manoeuvres, I've not heard of any incidents at speed? It also fits with "possibility of failure during extreme avoidance manoeuvres"
I don't know how accurate this is but it does seem to provide an explanation about the apparent random recalls and the inspections could be to identify suspect parts rather than looking for cracks?

Post #673592 17th Sep 2023 2:57pm
AJGalaxy2012

If the failure happened at speed there probably wouldn't be anyone alive to report it......

It strikes me as odd that the problem seems to be caused by galvanic corrosion from different metals touching each other. Replacing them with the same metals surely will only give more time before it starts happening all over again? BMW i3 Electric Car

Post #673597 17th Sep 2023 4:17pm
cass

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

"If the failure happened at speed there probably wouldn't be anyone alive to report it" - If people had died then I'm sure the fault would have been discovered during the accident investigation

"It strikes me as odd that the problem seems to be caused by galvanic corrosion from different metals touching each other. Replacing them with the same metals surely will only give more time before it starts happening all over again?"
Where did galvanic corrosion come from? was this not just speculation that some confused with fact?
JLR seem to think it's down to a faulty component and they've got more info than most of us.

Post #673614 17th Sep 2023 7:03pm
Mikey

Scotland 

Bulletin makes no mention of galvanic corrosion, only part failure due to poor manufacturing

Post #673632 17th Sep 2023 9:01pm
4RRS

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Whereas the Q&A doc states it's due to road salt, which I find ridiculous, however I guess this sounds better to the general public than we used cheap parts and sub standard QA L405 SV Autobiography LWB SDV8, finished in Aston Martin China Grey by ETO division.

Last edited by 4RRS on 17th Sep 2023 9:13pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #673633 17th Sep 2023 9:04pm
AJGalaxy2012

cass wrote:
If people had died then I'm sure the fault would have been discovered during the accident investigation

That would depend on how bad the smash was and it would be easy to say the wheel came off as a result of the crash rather than the opposite.

Quote:

Where did galvanic corrosion come from? was this not just speculation that some confused with fact?

I thought I had read that either in this or other threads about this issue.

Quote:

JLR seem to think it's down to a faulty component and they've got more info than most of us.

I dont share your confidence in JLR. It's only a few weeks ago they were denying there was a problem. BMW i3 Electric Car

Post #673634 17th Sep 2023 9:06pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

4RRS wrote:
Whereas the Q&A doc states it's due to road salt, which I find ridiculous, however I guess this sounds better to the general public than we used cheap parts and sub standard QA

No it doesn't - read it again. 'A crack in the front suspension knuckle may propagate in the presence of extended exposure to road salt'
That does not mean it was caused by road salt.

Post #673635 17th Sep 2023 9:20pm
4RRS

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

So, it maybe due to road salt and maybe not... They're certainly not mentioning manufacturing defects in the document, which we all know is the cause. Odd how road salt only affects certain vin ranges, maybe they started using a special salt resistant JLR coating on later versions Laughing L405 SV Autobiography LWB SDV8, finished in Aston Martin China Grey by ETO division.

Post #673638 17th Sep 2023 9:24pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

AJGalaxy2012 wrote:
cass wrote:
If people had died then I'm sure the fault would have been discovered during the accident investigation

That would depend on how bad the smash was and it would be easy to say the wheel came off as a result of the crash rather than the opposite.

Quote:

I thought I had read that either in this or other threads about this issue.

Quote:

I dont share your confidence in JLR. It's only a few weeks ago they were denying there was a problem.

Galvanic corrosion was most likely a wild guess by the herd - not a fact, at best supposition.

I'd personally not put much weight in your opinion of JLR given that you're a self-confessed BMW driver: there has been no denial of an issue, manufacturers will always be 'tight lipped' on emerging concerns until they have been identified, quantified and a fix developed. BMW are well used to the process....

Post #673639 17th Sep 2023 9:28pm
AJGalaxy2012

Laughing Laughing Laughing

If you get peace of mind believing that JLR have your best interests and safety in mind that’s great. Keep swallowing their male cow manure, get your rose tinted specs on and tell yourself you that you have the ultimate driving machine that has no reliability issues and is second to none. Keep repeating it until your brain washing is complete. Rolling with laughter BMW i3 Electric Car

Post #673644 17th Sep 2023 10:26pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

Yawn

You're here why?

Yawn

Post #673658 18th Sep 2023 7:27am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 32 of 39 <123 ... 313233 ... 373839>