Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L405) > A few connectivity questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue
A few connectivity questions

Now I’ve finally done the deed and got my MY17 4.4 AB, I have a couple of connectivity questions.

1. Do /should the HDMI connections send video to the car? I’ve tried a few options such as a YouTube video but the only way I can get anything from my phone is to contact via Bluetooth, which only plays audio. The car also has RSE but I can’t get anything on there either.

2. I’m trying to connect the car to my phone’s WiFi hotspot but around 90% of the time, it doesn’t seem to find any WiFi connections and when it does and I choose my phone or home WiFi, it doesn’t connect.

Thanks. Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #680852 20th Dec 2023 8:55pm
alanm_3

Another quick question on the data sim connectivity.
I got a preloaded Vodafone SIM card to try and it seems to read the card (by seeing the 3 dots) but they stop and I see a G with a line through it. VF say this is a 3/4/5G card, so has anyone else had success doing this?
I should add that when I turn on mobile data and hotspot, my phone sees the hotspot, identified by RR and the last 6 digits of the car but it’s asking for a password, which I have no clue as to what that could be.

On the subject of the WiFi, when I look at the properties of the car, it’s showing an IMIE number but no MAC address, which might explain my lack of success with connecting to any WiFi networks.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue

Post #681329 28th Dec 2023 3:39pm
Fifth Horseman

Scotland 2018 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Carpathian Grey

What software version is the ICE running IIRC early versions had issues with WiFi connections, current is 22A
From the connectivity page if you touch "Hotspot" it should then show you the password. TBH there's no point using this as this relies on the vehicles internet connection.

Not sure about the HDMI connection.

Vodafone have by now switched off most of their 3G network, 2G should still be available until 2033. MY17 vehicles are not able to connect to 4/5G.

Post #681420 29th Dec 2023 6:36pm
alanm_3

Thanks for the reply. I’ll check the s/w version tomorrow but if it needs updated, I guess I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place if 3G won’t work and I can’t connect to WiFi!

I knew the car wouldn’t work with 4/5G but I had hoped 3G was still available but it seems not.

I’m sure I saw somewhere that the update could be done via a USB key but maybe that was just a nav update. I’m loathe to go to my local dealer to get it done as I’m sure they’ll bend me over with the cost. Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue

Post #681445 29th Dec 2023 10:48pm
Gremlin500

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

Hi Alanm_3,

I have a MY2017, so perhaps if you can post a few screenshots of your display, we can work through it?

You need to have both full wi-fi connectivity with your home network, and a working SIM 3G card inserted into the vehicle.

Please post current software versions with screenshots, and we all will try to help you. Thumbs Up “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #681451 29th Dec 2023 11:40pm
alanm_3

I hear what you’re saying Gremlin and I appreciate your offer of help but I have neither and see no way of getting them.
It seems 3G on Vodafone is no more (at least where I am) and I can’t even get the car to list any available WiFi connections, including my home WiFi and the hot spots on either of my mobiles when they’re both in the car with me, let alone connect to one of them, so I’m not sure what other options I have. I think the lack of MAC address is part of the problem Whistle
I’ll get the s/w versions tomorrow. Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue

Post #681461 30th Dec 2023 1:49am
alanm_3

Hi guys, managed to get out to the car between the snow and rain.

This is the s/w version

And if I hit the “check for update button”, it says it’s up to date but not quite sure where it’s checking if without an online connection?

I still don’t get any WiFi connections

More often than not, the SIM connectivity shows “reading SIM” but on a couple of occasions, it displays “mobile settings”

I can enable the car hotspot and it allows me to connect my IPad to it but obviously there’s no internet connection but it does seem to function as it should to that point.

Any more thoughts?

Cheers Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue

Post #681490 30th Dec 2023 4:37pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

Do you have a code reader, if so see if there any TCU faults if so, see if you can clear them.
If your phone can pick up your home wifi in the car, then the car should also pick up that home wifi network.

In your screen shot should not the roaming tab be on? 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #681495 30th Dec 2023 5:17pm
Fifth Horseman

Scotland 2018 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Carpathian Grey

Software version is not the latest but should not be too problematic at this stage. It can be updated offline but needs the dealer level diagnostic tools.

The "Software up to date" message is misleading, it really means "Unable to find software update", so you will get that message if there is no connectivity.

Reading SIM is usually shown when the system is attempting to connect to a mobile network, the "Network provider" box will be blank until the system registers with a mobile network.

Reading fault codes should show if there is an antenna fault affecting WiFi reception

Post #681497 30th Dec 2023 5:36pm
alanm_3

No faults showing on the iidtool.

If I see the options screen again, i’ll put roaming on Thumbs Up

And I still think the lack of a MAC address is fundamental to the WiFi issue.

Post #681505 30th Dec 2023 6:43pm
alanm_3

A quick update on today’s findings.
It looks like the SIM card finally sees the Vodafone network but still no access. I’m guessing this could be due to the dropping of 3G?

I should add that this is only seen briefly and then drops back to “reading sim”

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue

Post #681583 31st Dec 2023 5:40pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

Change your sim if you need 3G but at some point 3G will be gone O2 looks best option for you.

Vodafone started piloting its 3G switch off in February 2023 and confirmed its plans to start switching off the remainder of the UK from June 2023. It confirmed its 2G network will remain in place for calls and texts. Find out more at Vodafone's website.

EE trialed the phase out of 3G services in 2023, with plans to fully close down the network between January and March 2024. EE's 2G services will be switched off 'later in the decade'. Find out more at EE.

Three expects to have closed its 3G offering by the end of 2024. Three never had a 2G network as it launched as the UK's first 100% 3G network. Visit the Three website for more.

O2 will start phasing out 3G services in 2025, but hasn't made any announcements about 2G.
 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #681591 31st Dec 2023 7:26pm
alanm_3

Thanks Kot, I think I’ll give the O2 sim a try, it’s more a proof of concept just now in the vain hope that I can get my infotainment s/w updated and hopefully get the WiFi bit working.

Cheers Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue

Post #681592 31st Dec 2023 7:37pm
Gremlin500

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

Hi Alan, sorry for the delay, here are a few screenshots from my MY2017, I hope these help in some way, unfortunately we live in a dip, so when at home have to rely almost 100% on wifi for calls & data, hence no mobile signal in the display. The SIM in my car is EE, but there is an O2 mast 50m from my house!
I don’t think they have switched off any 3G yet, but I may be wrong.

If you have no basic connectivity with the vehicle, it may be worth contacting LR Customer Services, to see if they can help you, we had issues with the vehicle still being registered to the previous owner and had to contact them twice before the previous profile was deleted; no matter what we tried, we could not update anything until this was done by JLR.

Good Luck! Thumbs Up “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #681604 31st Dec 2023 9:00pm
alanm_3

Funny you mention the account thing, as it still welcomes the previous but 1 owner when you go into the nav screen. I try to change it but it needs an active internet connection to re-register, so I’ve ordered an O2 sim to try and resolve all these issues.

Cheers and a Happy New Year.

Alan Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue

Post #681616 1st Jan 2024 2:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>