Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > First problem with my 2011
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

I obviously deal with a wide range of Range Rovers and they all seem to sleep quickly when locked at normal height. I rarely if ever have problems with discharged batteries.

My logic says if you use access height every time you park the air suspension compressor & bags are going to wear out quicker than if you don't....

Others may think that if its there its there to be used. Each to you're own I guess.

Post #51490 23rd Feb 2011 9:42am
47p2

Scotland 

I never drop my height to access and often leave the bonnet open if I have been working on the vehicle, it can be left for 3 weeks in this position and never suffers from a flat battery

Post #51491 23rd Feb 2011 9:48am
JOKER

Scotland 

Same here never dropped vehicle height , and still on the same battery that came with the car come June it wil be 6 year old if not older depending when car was built , and it still starts first time ...........

Kiss of Death now ........ Laughing

Post #51493 23rd Feb 2011 9:53am
jez000

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Bournville

Jeremy at LPR also mentioned he had not heard about acess hight putting the car to sleep faster so it sounds like that may be a red herring Tim ? 2021 P400 Silicon Silver AB
Gone 2011 Bournville TDV8 VSE
Gone 2008 Black Canadian HSE LUX

Post #51510 23rd Feb 2011 10:55am
Lookers Park Royal

It used to be the case with P38a (pre2002 RR) as it shut the BCM (Body Control Module) down quicker, however I'm not sure if this is the case on L322. I was always told to park a P38a in access mode if it was not going to be used for a week or so.

That said, It wouldn't surprise me if certain modules shut down quicker in access mode, such as height monitoring/sensors etc. Unfortunately I'm not technical enough to be able to confirm either way. Embarassed

James Thumbs Up

Post #51515 23rd Feb 2011 11:02am
Tim in Scotland

Location: Somewhere between here and there, if not then I'm all at sea or at home in Scotland

2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

It works for me, in ownership of 4 air-suspended Range Rovers and Range Rover Sports that get left undriven for 3 months at a time I've not yet had a flat battery. This last time away is the first time I have used a battery conditioner/ solar charger hooked up to the car and it started first turn of the key even though the car has sat outside in -20c over the winter. My Defender which was stored inside all winter on the other hand had a battery that would turn the engine but not start it after the same period, the battery in that is only 2 years old and it has none of the potentially battery draining goodies that the FFRR has....... an hour on a battery charger got the Def going like a good 'un though 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #51521 23rd Feb 2011 11:07am
axle

Australia 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

jez000 wrote:

They report the battery doesn't need replacing which is a bit of a worry really for the long term. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Oh yes it does , once a battery goes that low it will never take a full charge again and will struggle to hold on to what charge it can take . You should point out to the Dealer that if they don't change the battery not it will only cost them warranty time and money later. 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.
magnus satis quod turpis satis

Post #51533 23rd Feb 2011 12:32pm
HJD

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black

Jez000 - have you go your car back now? Sorted? MY2011 FFRR 4.4 TDV8 Vogue, Santorini Black and Ivory *Arrived*
MY08 Discovery 3, TDV6 HSE, Buckingham Blue and Ebony *Gone*
MY07 Defender 110, XS
MY05 Discovery 3, TDV6, SE, Java Black and Alpaca *GONE*
Audio A6 Allroad, *GONE*
Audi A4 Cabriolet 3.2, *GONE*
BMW Compact 316, *GONE*
Lotus Elise *GONE*

Post #51673 24th Feb 2011 9:25am
jez000

Should be getting it this morning, they fitted a tracker to it for me as well so it took a bit longer and they wanted to check the battery draw after the tracker was installed. 2021 P400 Silicon Silver AB

Post #51675 24th Feb 2011 9:33am
Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

We had the Reassurance Programme that James refers to as it failed to start in the showroom (brand new) Shocked and then failed on several more occasions over the next 10 days Shocked Shocked

Have you ever seen a salesman looks as though he is going to pass out as a 70 grand car dies in the showroom Embarassed

This was back in Oct 2010 on a MY11 TDV8.

Since then it has started every time although there were some mornings (in the last very cold spell) that it had to be cranked twice (it timing out on the first attempt). Question But it was minus 18 degrees.

Since then 14,000 miles and all is well.

As long as you don't count we had brand new brakes discs and pads at the front at 5k miles and again at 10k miles. And last week it had brand new side steps as the others were de-laminating (coming apart basically).

Oh the joys of owning two LRs. Currently running FFRR MY10 TDV8 3.6L and a Disco 3 XS Commercial (tank like but very effective as a Company van). Plus one mint condition Track Day Car in the form of an E36 M3 3.2L Evolution circa June 1996 with lots of go faster bits and only 52k miles on the clock! Oh, plus a few bits to make it slow down really quickly as well! Luvverly.

Post #51677 24th Feb 2011 9:36am
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

FYi - You can tell when the car has gone to sleep because the red dot on the gear selector goes off. If you go out in at night to find it still on then you have a problem as the BCM has not gone to sleep. Normally because something else has caused it to not sleep, or keeps waking it up.

In the case of the P38, this was the alarm module. It's frequency was similar to a lot of other cars, a new module sorted this. In the L322, I believe it has similar issues with BMW's, so they love to get a flat battery at airports where there is possibly a higher proportion of BM's to wake the alarm module up with all the people unlocking their car.

The alarm module is constantly listening for the handset signal, so every time it hears one it has to decide if it has to do anything, even if the answer is no, it still wakes.

That being So if you live next door to a BMW garage that may be your problem Rolling with laughter

D 

Post #51682 24th Feb 2011 9:59am
jez000

Just got back from Farnells Guiseley and the car seems fine, software updated to solve the drain issue which apparently was with the instrumentation cluster not the entertainment system. I couldn't get any more info on this but they assured me the software update was available to all dealers so should be applied for all the people picking up on March 1st.

The battery was not replaced as it passed the LR testing cycle and so cannot be replaced under warranty.
I'm not overjoyed about that but can't really argue with LR's rules, time will tell if its damaged or not.

Traffic master Trackstar was also fitted at the same time for my insurance company.

On the plus side Farnell's were great and gave the car a good clean inside and out.

So now I just need to wait a week and see how we go but I won't be holding back on the pre heat this week Thumbs Up

One last thing - after driving a RRS for 3 days it felt great to get back behind the wheel of my FFRR Thumbs Up 2021 P400 Silicon Silver AB

Post #51706 24th Feb 2011 12:34pm
jez000

dan_uk_1984 wrote:
FYi - You can tell when the car has gone to sleep because the red dot on the gear selector goes off. If you go out in at night to find it still on then you have a problem as the BCM has not gone to sleep. Normally because something else has caused it to not sleep, or keeps waking it up.

In the case of the P38, this was the alarm module. It's frequency was similar to a lot of other cars, a new module sorted this. In the L322, I believe it has similar issues with BMW's, so they love to get a flat battery at airports where there is possibly a higher proportion of BM's to wake the alarm module up with all the people unlocking their car.

The alarm module is constantly listening for the handset signal, so every time it hears one it has to decide if it has to do anything, even if the answer is no, it still wakes.

That being So if you live next door to a BMW garage that may be your problem Rolling with laughter

D

I'm guessing with the rotary gear selector I won't have that light Dan ?
Your right about the airport, I'm not looking forward to the first time I have to leave mine there Sad 2021 P400 Silicon Silver AB

Post #51707 24th Feb 2011 12:36pm
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

I'd guess there is an equivalent tell-tale. Lock the car in the dark and see if there are any lights left that go out after a few minutes... 

Post #51710 24th Feb 2011 1:22pm
HJD

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black

Anyone with access to gtr know what tsb jez000's dealer was referring to? Would like to have the reference to give to my dealer to make sure that the update is applied prior to delivery next week. MY2011 FFRR 4.4 TDV8 Vogue, Santorini Black and Ivory *Arrived*
MY08 Discovery 3, TDV6 HSE, Buckingham Blue and Ebony *Gone*
MY07 Defender 110, XS
MY05 Discovery 3, TDV6, SE, Java Black and Alpaca *GONE*
Audio A6 Allroad, *GONE*
Audi A4 Cabriolet 3.2, *GONE*
BMW Compact 316, *GONE*
Lotus Elise *GONE*

Post #51718 24th Feb 2011 1:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 8 <12345678>