Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > 2002-2006 Replacement head unit running Android
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 36 123 ... 343536>
Print this entire topic · 
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue
2002-2006 Replacement head unit running Android

Fitting thread here....

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/post300444.html#300444

THIS UNIT WILL NOT WORK WITH A TOUCHSCREEN HEAD UNIT

This is the Erisin ES9753A unit available if you email Crystal at erisintechservice@erisin.com and tell her you are after what Peter Hitchcock had, they are sometimes on eBay but you will get the best price from her, it only takes a few days to arrive...

EDIT... This unit is no longer available, search ebay for a "BMW X5 Android" unit, there are now many available, all seem to be pretty much the same in fitment... if I was doing it now I'd get one that allowed a DAB radio plugin....

After drowning my amp, radio and TV unit about 2months ago I was getting a bit fed up of it being so quiet in the car, also fed up of the archaic GPS unit and the lack of Bluetooth I decided to look around for a replacement.

I've had several Erisin all in ones over the last few years so I contacted them and asked what they could do, well they have just bought out one for the BMW so it will fit the Range Rover without problems.

They did me a good deal on a ES9753EU 7" Pure Android 4.2.2 with a car camera and a 6mtr power lead for £330 all in delivered with them paying the import duty, it was here in 4 days from China...

It has....

- 7 Inch super wide Screen
- Google Android 4.2.2 Operation System, Capacitive Touch Screen, Digital Screen (800*RGB*480)
- Dual-Core 1.6GHz CPU, 1GB RAM, 0.98GB ROM, 5.6GB Internal Memory,
- support extended Media Card/GPS Card/2 USB Stick up to 4*32GB
- Built-In Clock and Calendar
- 8 Panel light colors, and you can setup hundreds of colors via RGB Combination
- Choose 76 open unit logos and Radio Area in Factory Settings
- Built-in WiFi Modem, support 802.11b/g/n WLAN
- Support Dual Zone function, while Navigating you can listen music
- Support Android Multimedia Player, it can play Music/Movie/Photo from local Disc or connected TF Card.
- Support read and edit Official Software, WORD/EXCEL/POWERPOINT/PDF/TXT.
- Support Google Play Store, you can download thousands of Apps
- Support Torque Pro (OBD2 & Car), you can connect a ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner Tool to use this function.
- Support 3D Games, HD Video, 1080P, H.264, DIVX Live images Formats
- Support HD Videos up to 1920*1080 pixels, Photo up to 4096*4096 pixels
- 4 x 50w Surround Stereo, Subwoofer Output
- Support Bluetooth hands-free function, built-in microphone and external microphone Jack.
- Support A2DP Bluetooth, can play stereo music through Bluetooth from your Phone
- Download phone book function, you can download contact information from your phone to this unit
- Radio Tuner with RDS, 30 Preset Radio Stations
- USB Port and Micro SD Slot, Support USB Stick and Memory Card up to 32GB
- Built-in Car DVR System, just connect with a USB Camera to use Car Record function. the records will be saved in
GPS card automatically, and you can play saved record on this unit directly.
- Support DVB-T/ATSC Box input, Touch Control and Power supply
- Support Rear View Camera input and reverse trigger Control
- Support Steering Wheel Control, special CanBus Decoder incl.
- Last Position Memory

and a few other things as well, although I haven't found the coffee making app yet!!!

I needed one with a built in amp as I've wired it in directly to the speakers, it does come as plug and play but this plugs into the radio socket so the amp has to work to get any noise...

Was straightforward to fit, had to trim some plastic off the dash cradle to get it to fit right but nothing too taxing, ran the lead to the rear, also had to buy an aerial lead and a fakra adapter.

The steering wheel controls work great and you can customise them if you want different functions.

The night time illumination was taken to the can bus box but didn't work on mine so I wired it directly to the lighting circuit and it works fine now..

I must say it is very good, the 1.6Ghz dual core CPU is very fast and button presses are instant (this was a failing with the earlier ones, you had to wait about a second for any response)

The brightness and clarity of the screen is excellent, and being Android based you can have just about anything you like on it....

Just thought I'd let people know how good it is if they are thinking of getting one..

Basically you rip out all this

get the soldering iron out, well you do if you did it my way... and you end up with another large cubby hole in the boot and this in the dash

I never used the analogue clock that was set by the old head unit so I decided to replace it with a voltmeter... managed to get a green one to match the dash lights, removed the innards from the clock and fitted it behind the original front.... The head unit has a clock on just about any display and I've still got the one on the gauges as well

A couple more pics

If anyone wants detailed fitting advice then just let me know...

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Last edited by Haylands on 15th Sep 2016 7:29pm. Edited 5 times in total

Post #276110 16th Aug 2014 9:49pm
Joe90

England 

Looks fantastic and great value.

Definitely seems the route to take if something goes bang in the boot.

Wonder if it would run the IIDTool BT as well ?

As found on eBay too ?

Erisin ES9753CU

Would be interested in fitting instructions, especially about the speaker connections, as the ebay blurb mentions issues with HK or Logic speakers (I have unbadged HK setup - no sub) .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #276117 17th Aug 2014 12:05am
Haylands

Joe

I've got the non BT IID tool, I guess the BT one uses an Android App on your phone so if it does it should work

That is the one on Ebay, I wanted to make sure it would fit the Range Rover so contacted them direct, they don't have any technical backup at their English store, was also a bit cheaper when you add the camera and long power lead...

Wiring is standard ISO, 12v battery, 12v ignition, Earth, aerial amplifier, then the four speaker channels which are rated at 4ohms, all my speakers measured 8ohms so you can run 8 speakers (and probably more) off the four outputs without problems. The can bus box is prewired and just works!!! it doesn't connect to anything specific, I suppose it uses the power line to do it's magicary.... (still trying to get my head round can-bus!!) I had to cut the night illumination wire from can-bus and connect it directly to the lighting circuit.

This is the sticker on the unit...

The K-GND, TX, RX, Key1 and Key2 are already wired into the can bus box

The reverse wire switches the unit to rear view camera mode, so needs connecting to the reverse lights if you want a camera, the brake wire should be connected to the handbrake warning light and lets you watch video only when stationary, mind you it has a setting to switch this off so there's no point in connecting it... The amp wire is 12v when the unit is on to power the amp but you won't need that....

It's then got another plug with lots of RCA plugs but I haven't used any of them, I fitted an RCA twin lead to the boot in case I want to use some later....

Pretty straigtforward...

Hope that helps..

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold

Post #276131 17th Aug 2014 8:11am
comports

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Mariana Black

Looks good Haylands

Did you car (being a Vogue) have DSP before..? I assume you ripped this out as well and the HU is powering the speakers. I went down this route but had issue with the DSP and the fact that you loose all the other system settings - Park Heating etc and the sound wasn't great so I ripped it out and reinstated the original.

Could I have a bit more info on your setup (re dsp, wiring, etc)

Would be good to see some more info and screens like nag etc... Is the nav experience good..? The unit I got took ages to power up the software so also not so good.

Thanks Ash
------------------------------------------------------
2016 SDV8 AB

Last edited by comports on 17th Aug 2014 8:26am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #276133 17th Aug 2014 8:17am
chris_read

England 2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

This is very tempting; as already said, if mine goes TU I shall be looking at doing the same. And as I'm just over the bridge I shall be likely to take advantage of your advice regarding fitting Wink

Post #276134 17th Aug 2014 8:17am
87RJD

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

I agree, looks brilliant, If I still had my TD6 it would be on the list. Thumbs Up

Post #276135 17th Aug 2014 8:27am
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

Very impressive. Thumbs Up
And there was me trying to find somewhere to permanently install a voltmeter. Thumbs Up

Post #276136 17th Aug 2014 9:33am
MrP

England 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Does it have DAB radio or normal FM etc ? I am really missing DAB in the car....... "On first name terms with my local Dealer......now."

'61 Plate 5.0SC Autobiography - in Black ——— Gone
'53 plate 4.4V8 Vogue Bonatti Grey inside and out. ----- Gone

Post #276141 17th Aug 2014 10:57am
SteveyD

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

I'm looking at these myself and the can't be beaten IMO! how is your sat nav? I think I'd keep my OEM head unit hidden somewhere (or the bits required spliced into the loom) meaning that the clock and cluster panel mpg stats could still be used. Just waiting to hear back about my offer rather than hittin BIN button.

*subscribed to this thread Smile

Post #276148 17th Aug 2014 11:36am
Haylands

comports wrote:
Looks good Haylands

Did you car (being a Vogue) have DSP before..? I assume you ripped this out as well and the HU is powering the speakers. I went down this route but had issue with the DSP and the fact that you loose all the other system settings - Park Heating etc and the sound wasn't great so I ripped it out and reinstated the original.

Could I have a bit more info on your setup (re dsp, wiring, etc)

Would be good to see some more info and screens like nag etc... Is the nav experience good..? The unit I got took ages to power up the software so also not so good.

Thanks

Yep mine had DSP, wired it directly into the speakers as they came out of the Amp, it would handle 8 speakers in total but it does have an additional sub woofer out with the RCA lead so I dare say you could wire that in, personally I'm not into music in cars much so I've just done the basics and it sounds OK to my non Dolby ears!!! It's too loud at 3/4 volume so it has a decent output.... It is plug and play if you have the original Amp and can use that in which case it should be as original...

I took a permanent 12v feed from the Amp, a switched from the radio plug and the aerial amp from there as well, and that was it....

The original Head unit will fit in the place of the CD Changer in the glove box and the wires will reach so you could run both setups and just use the old head unit for settings, mines a petrol so doesn't have a FBH so the only thing I've lost is the clock setting and I've taken that out so no probs....

I know these units take a time to come on, after all they're mini computers, or big smart phones, so have to boot....Just timed it and it takes 20 seconds to come on, radio playing after another 4 seconds and sat nav starting about 4 secs after that so not a great deal of time, this one also remembers what you were listing to and looking at the last time you used it so that's an improvement....

Main sat nav is IGO primo, see here for details of it, it is a good system and does all you need and more

http://files.car-vision.co.uk/files/primo/primo-user-manual.pdf

Should be enough pics there but if you want to see it on my screen let me know.... It came with full Europe maps even Iceland on it so should be all you need... there from 2012 but as far as I can make out that was the last update.

It will run TomTom software as well, and off course things like Google maps or any other Android App

chris_read wrote:
This is very tempting; as already said, if mine goes TU I shall be looking at doing the same. And as I'm just over the bridge I shall be likely to take advantage of your advice regarding fitting Wink

I'm Hull side of the bridge, pop round anytime you like for a look/chat... and I'll certainly help you fit one if you like, to route the cable nicely you have to remove a fare bit of interior including the passenger seat so it's not a 10min job....

87RJD wrote:
I agree, looks brilliant, If I still had my TD6 it would be on the list. Thumbs Up

Well.... alright then if you ask nicely I'll swap my FF for yours, then you can have one........

nicedayforit wrote:
Very impressive. Thumbs Up
And there was me trying to find somewhere to permanently install a voltmeter. Thumbs Up

It was this one, cost a staggering £3.73 !!!! They do a range of colours as well....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281102715008?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT

Was easy enough, panel off, take the clock out, remove the front and the lens, mask up and spray the inside of the lens black then take the front off the voltmeter and hot glue the voltmeter and smoked cover in place, there is a switched live in the loom running down the outside of the console on that side

MrP wrote:
Does it have DAB radio or normal FM etc ? I am really missing DAB in the car.......

The radio is just an App and there are DAB radio Apps so I suppose you could run one of them....

SteveyD wrote:
I'm looking at these myself and the can't be beaten IMO! how is your sat nav? I think I'd keep my OEM head unit hidden somewhere (or the bits required spliced into the loom) meaning that the clock and cluster panel mpg stats could still be used. Just waiting to hear back about my offer rather than hittin BIN button.

Sat nav is fine, see the link above, as I've said the original unit will fit where the CD Changer is so you don't even lose any glovebox space.... Don't forget you will need the longer lead which isn't included. Pete

Post #276154 17th Aug 2014 1:36pm
SteveyD

ahh a quick revisit to my watched items on ebay and I realise that I am looking at a completely differemt unit. Although the one I am watching (and have submitted an offer on) has a longer loom specially for RR, it looks as though your head unit is much better?

what do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...711wt_1054

I think I'm sold on the model you have. Perhaps the one I found does the same job and like most things from china runs on android. I prefer the layout of the one I was looking at but yours looks OEM and let's have it right yours is now tried and tested Thumbs Up

Post #276163 17th Aug 2014 3:03pm
Haylands

Steve,

I don't think that one runs on Android, the screen looks like the ones of old, also no mention of the processor size or other specs, I would imagine it's a fairly old unit....

Also should point out that they all seem to have the ends slightly wrong for the Range Rover, the front is curved out, whereas the standard one is flat on the ends.... doesn't really notice, especially from the angle you see it whilst sat in the front seats but thought I should point it out.... Mind you, looking at the heater controls they don't exactly line up either....!!!

Post #276190 17th Aug 2014 5:29pm
SteveyD

Thanks for that Thumbs Up I'm sure I could get arround the curve issue if it bothered me that much. It would just be nice to have a multimedia head unit, with current technology and without a huge OEM price tag Smile

Post #276195 17th Aug 2014 5:52pm
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Very interesting. It's nice to know there's an alternative. Is there one for the 2007+ cars with Terrain Response, etc.?

Post #276205 17th Aug 2014 6:42pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

the only thing i have found is this,

... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #276227 17th Aug 2014 8:20pm