Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > Fitting my Naviplus / air play unit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 13 <123 45 ... 111213>
Print this entire topic · 
jjfang

United States 2012 Range Rover HSE 5.0 V8 Santorini Black

Could one of you guys pm me the pdf for the system? I am about to order the single view system for my L322, I sadly can’t send a pm since I just joined

Post #573533 20th Nov 2020 3:58am
Andy2986

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Barolo Black

If you send me your email I can send you the info.
I don’t think I can post PDF’s straight to the forum
Andy 2011 4.4 TDV8
2000 4.6 P38
1998 D1 300tdi

Post #573556 20th Nov 2020 11:37am
Siftah

Spain 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

jjfang wrote:
Could one of you guys pm me the pdf for the system? I am about to order the single view system for my L322, I sadly can’t send a pm since I just joined

These are the two installation PDF's, current as of September 2020. He'll send you the latest versions once you place the order too. The PDF's look like they skip out a few things (which they kind of do), but once you get going with it it'll become obvious and the additional comments and pics on here will certainly help.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dbiw3wq2dx7u98l...6KkPa?dl=0

I'm a total noob when it comes to the L322 and I managed it, so anyone can Rolling with laughter

Post #573569 20th Nov 2020 1:25pm
jjfang

Thank you so much! Also when you guy were tearing apart the dash, were there any pop tabs or any clips that snap easily or fly off that you guys would recommend me to buy just to have in case?

Post #573592 20th Nov 2020 5:45pm
Siftah

I only managed to break one tbh and I'm a bit ham fisted. It was, from memory, the trim above the glove box where it says "Range Rover".

I snapped the actual plastic lug on it, but it epoxied back together without any drama - have some epoxy handy perhaps Smile

There's about 4 or 5 different types of clip used across the dash in total, so you'd be needing to buy one of each. For every bit of trim there's about 4 clips at least, so even if you snap one you'll stick get that piece back on nice and solid. I'd not worry about it tbh Smile

Post #573595 20th Nov 2020 5:49pm
Landmark

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Are these kits really £650 plus all the hands on

Post #574283 27th Nov 2020 11:48am
Siftah

More like 720quid with the wireless and steering-wheel-control add ons, yup.

You could probably source the electronics cheaper if you can buy direct from the manufacturer, then you'd need to do the wiring yourself and fabricate some of the ribbon connectors and looms - but I would not recommend it unless you're extremely knowledgable and comfortable with electronics.

It sounds expensive, but when you consider some car manufacturers are charging more than that to have CarPlay added to a new vehicle as an option, then it's pretty reasonable Smile

Post #574290 27th Nov 2020 12:19pm
flashheart59

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

I’m seriously tempted by this setup, looks a very well resolved solution. Could someone advise me please, is the wireless CarPlay necessary/worthwhile over a USB connection? I’m a little confused by the naviplus site where it seems to say you have to switch to aux to make or receive a phone call. I’d really appreciate any feedback. Also, would anyone who’s done the conversion consider installing or helping me install in my 2010 5.0 AB with dual screen obviously for sensible £ amount??? Based Essex/Suffolk.

Post #574790 1st Dec 2020 7:13pm
Siftah

I'm not sure I'll ever use the wireless option to be honest. I mostly bought it as at 100 extra quid, it seemed worthwhile to get and do at the same time and would possibly make it more attractive an option when I come to sell the car.

Honestly, if you're playing music, using the satnav etc using the phone, your battery is going to drain and so you're likely to want your phone connected to the USB, so I don't really see much point in the wireless option, but that's just me Smile

All of the audio from the Naviplus is routed via the Aux socket, so anything you do audio wise on the phone (playing music, audio from a phone call, sat nav instructions etc) come via the Aux channel.

The Range Rovers built in audio system therefore needs to be set to Aux in all the time, else you won't hear the audio from the phone/naviplus.

In practice this isn't an issue, it works great. You no longer need or use the RR's built-in bluetooth connection (I actually deleted my pairing the phone no longer connects).

'fraid Essex is a bit too far for me to lend a hand and anyway, it's freezin' over there, I'm not visiting the UK until at least June Rolling with laughter

Post #574794 1st Dec 2020 7:20pm
jjfang

Did you do a hard wire connection for the aux connection and where did you place the external mic then?

Post #574883 2nd Dec 2020 8:11pm
Siftah

So I believe since the earlier installs in this thread, they must have updated the kit, for me everything was plug and play, the loom is untouched and the AUX connection just bypasses the connection on the head unit - you don't have to do anything with the wiring under the armrest for the AUX connector.

I *am* currently using it with the "dummy plug" (supplied) inserted into the AUX socket. I'm not sure whether it's needed actually, I don't think I've tested it without...

You *do* still have to remove the centre console to be able to wire the USB socket into the cubby under the armrest, so you're basically in the area of the AUX socket anyway. I think removing the central cubby is one of the easiest bits, it's probably an hour to remove and refit at most, it'll take longer to drill the hole in the cubby for the USB socket and hot-glue it into place than it will to remove the trim on this bit! Smile

My car is a left hand drive because I live in Foreign, so I wired the mic up along the passenger (right hand side) a-pillar, across the top of the windscreen (just pushing it under the trim) and it sits on the left hand side of the rear view mirror. There's air-bags in the a pillars of course, but I don't believe the cable represents any kind of risk here, it's well against the glass and the airbag would deploy "over" it.

I've not done an audio test, but Siri works great so it seems to be placed ok (it's quite close to where the factory fit bluetooth mic is placed as far as I know). These cars don't generate much wind noise so I don't think being so close to the screen is going to be an issue, but you could bring it back a bit from the screen if needed, still wouldn't be very visible.

Post #574889 2nd Dec 2020 8:49pm
jjfang

Could anyone maybe assist me? I’m in the process of installing this unit for my single view system. Does anyone have Steve’s WhatsApp so I could ask questions?

Post #576032 13th Dec 2020 10:01pm
Siftah

I just have the sales email - but he responded pretty quickly on that!

If you ask questions here you'll hopefully get some answers too Smile

Post #576070 14th Dec 2020 10:17am
Baltic Blue

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

He’s on +61433596623 from the UK.
Mike. G reg 2.5VM Vogue Portofino red 1991- 1999
V reg 2.5td P38 Rioja red 1999- 2006
53 reg td6 Vogue Oslo blue 2006- 2015
11 reg 4.4 TdV8 Vogue SE. Baltic blue 2015- date.
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic56162...tty+affair

Post #576076 14th Dec 2020 10:25am
jjfang

Thank you everyone! I was able to get it installed in a day, it was about 8-9 hrs of work with two guys. Couple things I’ve noticed, the HDMI is really sensitive if you don’t get it right then you will get “Navi no Signal” in addition the Aux connection/bypass plug is sensitive too, if you don’t get it just right in the module behind the fuse box then you will get audio coming from one side only. I was able to put everything together relatively well!

I’m testing to see now how it does long term, how has everyone else’s unit been working long term? Also sometimes after I left the car sit I’ve noticed when I turn the car on the whole heady it goes crazy and I hear a bunch of static then it stops, I was told from Naviplus that it’s not enough power going to the unit has anyone else had this issue? I have a video but I’m not sure how to post it here.

Post #576127 14th Dec 2020 2:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 13 <123 45 ... 111213>