Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > L405 2014 Vogue Knocking Noise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 9 of 9 <123456789
Print this entire topic · 
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Congratulations Matt. It's a horrible situation to have been in and hopefully you are now in the position to enjoy the vehicle again Thumbs Up Kev

2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #574348 27th Nov 2020 8:07pm
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

Thumbs Up

Post #574354 27th Nov 2020 9:53pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Awesome result Thumbs Up Thumbs Up There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammeršŸ˜œšŸ˜œ
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #574383 28th Nov 2020 9:48am
M99TYK

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Fuji White
Part 2 - Sick!!!

Yawn

So Friday last week I heard a tapping/ticking noise from the engine when idling and a turbo type spooling sound / waste gate chatter for a second after the engine was turned off. I spoke with Stratstone and booked the car in to have it checked on Monday. After arriving at the garage the service adviser told me not such booking had been put in the diary (great Thumbs Up ) but he managed to pull one of the technicians out have a listen. He agreed with the noise of the wastegate but the ticking noise was not present at that time.

I had holidays from work on Monday and Tuesday and the service adviser managed to take the car in so they could plug it in and have a proper look, I explained I was back to work on the Wednesday so if they had no courtesy cars available Iā€™d need the car back Tuesday night - no problems here.

That afternoon (Monday) I had a phone call from the service manager, they couldnā€™t hear the noise but were still looking into it. Tuesday evening came around and I still heard nothing, at this point I tried to arrange a lift for work for the Wednesday and couldnā€™t - I ended up explaining the circumstances to work and took unpaid leave as due to COVID I couldnā€™t have a lift from a colleague. I emailed Graham early Wednesday morning asking for some sort of update - no response and no update.

Thursday came around and Iā€™m in the same position, no idea what is happening with my car and no way of getting to work. I called to speak with the service manager on Thursday afternoon, no answer no call returned. I decide to speak with the service advisor who I originally booked the appointment with to see if he could update me. The manor of the response I got completely shocked me, ā€œI donā€™t know I havenā€™t heard from the technicians do you want me to speak to them?ā€ Well... if it isnā€™t too much bother. ā€œIā€™ll call you back in 5 minutesā€ ā€˜25 minutes laterā€™ - ā€œHi Matt, spoke to the technician, they think your engine may have failedā€. To be honest I didnā€™t know how to respond Laughing - the way he put it was like heā€™d told me my pizza delivery was outside. I asked a couple of questions, none of which he could answer apart from ā€œcould I have a courtesy car?ā€ he was pretty efficient respond ā€œnoā€. Iā€™m still unsure what happened here, I dropped my car off on Monday because of a slight tapping noise - heard F*** all until I chased them for some info to be told they still donā€™t know but my engine may have failed Censored .

So last night I decided to get in touch with the head of group standards, the same guy who sorted things out last time around. He responded to my email at about 12 today to apologise about the situation and that he would get back with me at some point today.

I thought Iā€™d just update and let you guys know that even though I thought I was on my way that Iā€™m very glad I did take the warranty as Iā€™m not sure what position I would now be in?! Iā€™m frustrated but not angry that my engine may have failed. Censored happens and people have had worse to deal with on their lives than that. But there is no excuse for the extremely poor customer service, they managed to get me back on board with their services and brand but here we are again.

And I apologise for the novel Laughing

Post #583408 12th Feb 2021 3:17pm
jc132jc

United Kingdom 

WOW Shocked Just read through your story and what a ride you have had. Fingers crossed

Post #583410 12th Feb 2021 3:42pm
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Wow, that is completely bad luck Shocked Kev

2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #583420 12th Feb 2021 4:10pm
northernmonkeyjones

that's Censored

you can't have travelled more than about 300 yds on that new engine!

something must have been amiss with it from the factory, though that seems unlikely. For a brand new engine to fail after only a couple of months is depressing to say then least.

you have the comfort of the warranty though so at least you should get sorted out with a lot less hassle than last time, you know what protection you have and they offered it to you directly and implicitly so there should be no too and fro with the warranty providers or LR. engine is broke - new engine again please as per your warranty given.

and there should be no cost to you to do any of this. You are protected under law for this as the new engine is less than 12 months old in any case. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammeršŸ˜œšŸ˜œ

Post #583544 13th Feb 2021 12:47pm
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

Farnellā€™s service/ maintenance related communications processes are unacceptable IMO. Getting past the remote, clueless call ā€˜centreā€™ triage set up such that you are actually connected to your garage of choice is difficult... then trying to get a service person at your garage of choice to take your call and/ or reply to a reasonable email enquiry in an intelligible manner is more difficult.

Theyā€™re poor.

And they keep getting away with it...

Post #583615 13th Feb 2021 9:37pm
M99TYK

The service manager from Stratstone called to update me this evening. They have been in touch with various service centres to search for a tool which allows them to complete an oil pressure test. Apparently they have never been asked by LR before to perform this test due to the engine being ā€˜bombproofā€™ and the only common issue being the crankshaft which is very much diagnosable by finding metal in the oil/filter. They have had to fabricate this part in order for them to carry out the oil pressure test.

The issue now is they do not have any charts (or cannot find them) which show what the oil pressure should be on the 3.0l TDv6 engine only the older 2.7l. They have said the reading shows the pressure to be on the very bottom tolerance for the 2.7, but they do not know where it would be on the 3.0l chart (all very confusing to me Iā€™m certainly no mechanic Laughing )

They have also sent a audio recording to LR technical of the noise coming from the engine, according to the service manager LR have people who can listen to the frequency etc. and understand which component the noise is coming from. LR have asked for a better quality audio file so Stratstone are sourcing an external mic to record said sound... Rolling Eyes

Has anyone had any experience with this issue or have heard of someone with a similar issue or even know anything regarding oil pressure tolerances on the TDV6?

Thanks, Matt.

Post #584086 16th Feb 2021 8:21pm
M99TYK

*Update*

Last night I received a phone call from LR asking if the retailer (Stratstone) had updated me on the situation. At some point yesterday it was confirmed the engine needed replacing. LR couldnā€™t give me any technical information as to what the issue was exactly but explained they had approved the claim for a new engine with it being under warranty (imagine the situation I could have found myself on had I not decided to pay part of the initial replacement cost).

I emailed with the Divisional Standards Leader asking why Stratstone had once again failed to update me. Later on this morning I received a response stating he was happy LR finally decided the engine needed replacing (Iā€™m wasnā€™t so happy). I responded stating I no longer want the car and believe the only fair outcome is for Stratstone to pay off my settlement and retain the car so I can walk away and look at other options as I no longer feel happy having a car which has had 3 engines after only 50 odd k miles, I mean how can one sell a car with 3 different engine No.s on the V5??? I was told Iā€™d get a call at some point this afternoon after he has spoken with the Managing Director, which I never did. Once again very poor from Stratstone and real disappointing considering their efforts on the last occasion, maybe the whole previous issue has softened me from not knowing if I was going to be left high and dry or whether Iā€™d receive the help I believe was fair and just.

Iā€™m hoping someone will call me tomorrow.

Post #585015 23rd Feb 2021 9:24pm
M99TYK

Final outcome

The car has had the new engine fitted (3rd) and after a couple of weeks an agreement made in which I dropped it off at Stratstone Newcastle and said goodbye. It feels good to walk away from a problem which from the start has never felt right. Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll find myself in another LR one day but for now Iā€™m going to enjoy a motor that I can rely on and not worry each time I hear a small sound from the engine bay or a knock from the suspension. Maybes one day when I can afford catastrophic failures or a new one with a warranty Iā€™ll be happy.

Thanks all for your help.

Matt

Post #587760 17th Mar 2021 12:03pm
northernmonkeyjones

Well at least itā€™s an outcome you are happy ish with.

Donā€™t let it put you off as said at the start plenty run into no issues at all! To have 2 engines go in close succession is just plain daft, but I do see your point on unloading it.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you end up in.šŸ‘šŸ» There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammeršŸ˜œšŸ˜œ

Post #587790 17th Mar 2021 5:37pm
BenRK

United Kingdom 

That's a good result for you by the sounds of it. Can you imagine if you took a gamble and went for it without the warranty! Surely they aren't going to stick that on a forecourt now on its third engine, I'd imagine that would be off to auction?

Post #587794 17th Mar 2021 6:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 9 of 9 <123456789