Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Bottle Jack Modification to replace Scissor Jack
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 10 of 10 <12345678910
Print this entire topic · 
Nylands

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Zambezi Silver
Bottle Jack Option

RR 322
Hi
Thanks for the response and drawings of the attachment. No problem if the new bottle jacks advertised have the same shaft diameter as the older ones and if they still have the removable heads. Tugger’s posting above may show some light on this as he is having another go with his this weekend. My tools are limited to to a hand drill and spanner’s but I really would like this setup for the roadside.
Many thanks
Nylands

Step one, ordered the jack today. Prices seem to be rising for these on a daily basis!

Post #591279 15th Apr 2021 8:42am
Tugger

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Found some time yesterday and had another go

Got it fitted in the end. It is EXTREMELY tight, which I guess is a good thing as it forms a reliable hydraulic seal. It took a LOT of hammering. I started off with a rubber mallet but it simply wasn't up to the job so resorted to a standard metal hammer in the end. I taped some thick cardboard over the top of the block as I didn't want to damage it with the hammer but in the end the cardboard broke up and I've got some marking on top of the block. It's not damaged or deformed at all, just a bit unsightly.

After that I had to refill the jack with hydraulic oil as it had leaked on my earlier attempt. This was pretty simple but here's a tip for anyone doing this - to get the last bit of air out, turn the jack upside down and angle it so that the bleed screw is the highest point. This makes any remaining air float up to where the bleed screw is, and you can release it quite easily.

All tested and working, lifts the RR very easily and holds it well, popped the axle stands in just to finish everything off. Now to get on to fitting the new starter motor and having another pop at the FBH!

The bottle jack is so much better than the standard jack, can't believe Land Rover supplied these in the first place, they are absolute death traps. 09 RR Westminster 3.6TDV8 - Stornoway Grey / Black interior - now gone (sad face)
Nissan X Trail 1.6TDCi Tekna
Fiat 500 1.2

Post #591386 16th Apr 2021 7:28am
Nylands

Bottle jack mod

Hi Range Rover L322

At last I have the jack needed which appears to be the one needed, Any tips you may have to remove the spring pin or tool you had to use?
David

Hello again
Just found a suitable 4mm rod and moved the retaining pin OK. Your designed adapter head ordered today so nearly completed roadside Jack available for the boot.
Thanks for your help on this as nice to know I’ve got it should I need it.
David Thumbs Up Bow down Bow down

Post #592668 29th Apr 2021 11:32am
Nylands

Bottle Jack and for mentioned L322 head

The Ali adapter head arrived today completel with split pin. Well machined item which fitted to the shaft with ease. Having aligned the holes from one end with drill bit or anything you have it’s ready for the split pin. I found it necessary to close the pin up enough to hammer it through but no problem if anyone wants to have a roadside Jack for the L322 !

Thanks for all the comments on this.
Dave Thumbs Up

Post #592875 1st May 2021 1:32pm
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

Just come across this thread. Will make up some adapters this weekend for my pair of sprinter jacks. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #620771 21st Jan 2022 1:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 10 of 10 <12345678910