Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > Fitting my Naviplus / air play unit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 10 of 13 <123 ... 910 111213>
Print this entire topic · 
garyRR

United Kingdom 

Tinman wrote:
Not fitted mine yet? the cost was under £700 with the extras. I don't think you have to touch your phone after its Bluetooth paired and you can control other functions as before from the steering wheel controls.
Those that have fitted it say it's worth the money?
The instructions that come with it seem easy to understand, from what I can see it does not require any soldering just plug ends to connect?
I have fitted three cars with deployable steps and JLR instructions are a lot harder to follow on removing the trim?

The website says $1300 AUD with the extras, plus $80 AUD shipping plus import costs and 20% VAT to UK, makes it about £930? 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #625758 9th Mar 2022 8:34am
Tinman

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Silicon Silver

If you order one make sure that they do not charge 10% gst tax as they are not registered for tax? they paid back to me the 105 tax when I asked for a tax invoice? I bought mine in Australia and brought it home no 20% vat. If you would like my one £700 posted as I can get another?

Post #625765 9th Mar 2022 9:46am
Full-fat-Lance

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

I just had mine delivered Monday. I didn’t have to pay the extra 20% VAT you seem to be adding on.

Post #625786 9th Mar 2022 12:23pm
bigben

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

stan wrote:
although this naviplus system is integrated and mostly works ok, i've always thought it was way to expensive...

there are headunit replacements for £300'ish or you could get one of these,

this excellent thread started by baltic blue shows how easy it is to fit and to remove the unit,
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic61372.html

these unit normally retail around the £200 mark but as it happens there is an ebay seller selling them at £133..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203860081968

That picture shows exactly why I was happy to spend the money on the properly integrated Naviplus system. I am sure the solution works just as well (better?) but one of the things that I like about the L322 is the design of the interior which I think everyone will agree is not improved by randomly bolting a 'phone / tablet to it. 2011 TDV8 Vogue
2007 TDV8 Vogue

Post #625890 10th Mar 2022 12:01pm
Tinman

Likewise, I don't like wires hanging around the dash, But we are not, all the same, some do some don't

Post #625896 10th Mar 2022 12:56pm
Baltic Blue

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

For £133 they are an absolute bargain way to get full Apple CarPlay functionality , Google maps, Waze etc. and you won’t see the wires once you have fitted it in less than an hour. Very Happy Very Happy
Mike. G reg 2.5VM Vogue Portofino red 1991- 1999
V reg 2.5td P38 Rioja red 1999- 2006
53 reg td6 Vogue Oslo blue 2006- 2015
11 reg 4.4 TdV8 Vogue SE. Baltic blue 2015- date.
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic56162...tty+affair

Post #625904 10th Mar 2022 1:37pm
Tinman

I bow to your expert knowledge Bow down

Post #625906 10th Mar 2022 2:32pm
Siftah

Spain 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

garyRR wrote:
Forgive the potentially inflammatory comment or is anyone else with me on this or am I missing something?

The Naviplus kit is nearly £1,000 last time I looked and it is a horrendous install, as exemplified by this thread (my worst install was the tow bar - 90 minutes the instructions say!!!!). The whole dash and front fascias need to come off to fit is.

As far as I can tell, what Naviplus gives you is Android Auto or Apple CarPlay on the existing screen in the car.

But what i cannot understand thus far is why you would want to spend £1,000 plus many hours installing something on a low resolution screen, when you can just run car mode on your phone in a good quality car mount. And many modern phones have screen sizes getting close to the size of the screen in the car, at MUCH higher quality. So, what is the benefit? What am I missing over spending £15 on a car mount?

Everyone sees value differently. For many of us, having a system which is as close to OEM spec as possible is important. I don't want ugly cables hanging around the dash. I don't want a 5quid off eBay phone holder ruining the look of a 100k vehicle. I want the steering wheel buttons to control the music. I want the audio from my satnav to lower the music volume so I can hear the instructions. I dislike the cheap suction cups on a phone holder coming off mid-corner. I dislike having bits of metal protruding from the dash etc.

We're all different Smile

Post #630361 2nd May 2022 9:08am
Siftah

Bl4ckD0g wrote:
Hmmmm I'm trying to look at the big screen, but yours is significantly different. Amazing for just dual vs single view.

As a comparison I've attached my image and indicated how I've attached mine. Yours could be good on the outside but it is hard to judge and you may need someone else with a single view screen. Sorry Sad

This is an interesting point - I also earthed mine to the outside of the case (from memory), it could be why some of us have experienced "static" on the screen sometimes, a bad earth could do that I guess.

I assumed the whole outside of the case would be earthed (to negative) as they usually are, but maybe that's not correct.

Who used this earth point, did you get static?

Who earthed to the case or elsewhere, did you get static? Smile

Post #630363 2nd May 2022 9:14am
Full-fat-Lance

I’ve earthed inside the case per the instructions and don’t get any static.

The only problems I’ve had are 1) occasionally the sound goes really quiet for 30 seconds or so (could just be Spotify playing up as not had it with other apps yet) and 2) I’ve had the unit freeze and restart itself twice. Both times on the same day before and after work and hasn’t done it in the thousand miles or so since.

Post #630369 2nd May 2022 9:52am
redleicester

United Kingdom 

Has no enterprising ICE installer yet set up a UK supply and even installation service? Those of us too terrified to open up a dashboard might still be inclined to throw money at a long term car.... 2011 VSE 4.4 TDV8 Santorini / Ivory
2008 VSE 4.2 SC Santorini / Ivory
2005 Disco 3 4.4 V8 Chelsea / dead llama
2005/06 FFRR Vogue 4.4 V8 Cairns blue / camel

Post #630386 2nd May 2022 11:00am
Full-fat-Lance

I recall seeing someone selling units with fitting for £1k all in. Not sure which units they fit, but it was like this one in that it integrates into the original screen.

To be honest, I’d save the £350-£400 and just fit it myself. Having done it, it’s really not too bad. The trickiest bits are, in my view, the clips that hold in the air vents on drivers and passenger side and the changes to the delicate cables inside the screen. That said, the vents are easy when you know how, and the cables weren’t difficult, you just need to take your time and not get impatient trying to line things up and getting the clips closed.

Last edited by Full-fat-Lance on 3rd May 2022 11:32am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #630447 2nd May 2022 7:22pm
Siftah

redleicester wrote:
Has no enterprising ICE installer yet set up a UK supply and even installation service? Those of us too terrified to open up a dashboard might still be inclined to throw money at a long term car....

Pretty sure most installers would do it for you if you asked!

Post #630492 3rd May 2022 8:18am
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

I have no skin in this game having gone for the cheaper option (I only wanted Waze) but while googling I found this https://unique-ad.co.uk my son had one fitted in his Audi (he did get someone to install)
I think Craig got one and as far as I can remember he liked it. Geoff

Post #630495 3rd May 2022 8:53am
Seriouslthinkingaboutit

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

If it does what it says on the tin a good alternative to NaviPlus but no 2007 version yet. Wonder if we can lobby

Douglas

Post #630585 3rd May 2022 10:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 10 of 13 <123 ... 910 111213>