Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > Fitting my Naviplus / air play unit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 12 of 13 <123 ... 111213>
Print this entire topic · 
=dj=

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Orkney Grey

Pairing? I didn't have to pair my iPhone - but then I prefer to use the lightning cable to plug my iPhone in to the system, there's no pairing required you can just plug any random iPhone in and use CarPlay immediately Wink

Is your iPhone still (bluetooth) paired with the factory head unit? If so, try to un-pair that first - it will definitely confuse things if the phone is trying to pair to two different devices at the same time.

For audio, also check the factory head unit is still set to aux output as well before switching to the Naviplus system, it's easy to miss that (or find it gets auto-switched to a different source, perhaps if your phone is still bluetooth paired to the main unit and it detects it)

Do you have the option of trying CarPlay with a cable, or is it only set up for wireless?

Post #633322 31st May 2022 9:13am
Tinman

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Silicon Silver

I have tried it plugged into the lightning connector that's when it is showing on the screen but no sound, so as you say the head unit has not switched off the car radio and should be in AUX?
I will do what you have suggested without Bluetooth, I did not turn to AUX so that may help, I think that I may have confused the system by having the Bluetooth running with the car's phone?
But why would you need to turn off the Bluetooth every time you get in the car? I thought they are two systems that are able to be switched via a button on the steering wheel.

Post #633326 31st May 2022 9:44am
=dj=

The Naviplus system and the factory head unit are both always running all the time.
All the switch on the steering wheel does is hijack the video and touch-detection circuitry to redirect them between the two systems. Neither system is actually aware of the other, it all operates like one of those KVM switches where two computers can share the same keyboard, monitor and mouse... Laughing

Note that the switch doesn't hijack audio circuitry in a similarly invasive way, it simply plugs into the existing AUX 3.5mm jack cabling (it just taps into this circuit behind the dashboard, rather than having an unsightly cable plugging into the rear socket).

This is why the factory radio needs to be set into AUX audio mode to hear any sounds through Naviplus functionality.

I'm guessing if the iPhone has established a bluetooth connection to the factory unit first, it may not properly connect to CarPlay until Bluetooth is switched off (or the vehicle is "unpaired"), as you can't be connected to "two cars" (from the phone's point of view!) at the same time.

Personally I don't use the factory bluetooth integration as all that functionality is provided by CarPlay anyway.
Yes, there have been a few cockups where I've been listening to the factory DAB radio and answered the call on CarPlay, and then realised I need to faff about to switch from DAB to AUX audio so I can hear the caller, doh!

To avoid that I now use the Radioplayer app in CarPlay mode instead to stream radio...

Post #633336 31st May 2022 10:38am
Tinman

Thanks for the info DJ
It would appear that I can now play from the phone but the touch screen will don't responded, so car play, Waze, work just not on fullscreen on their own?
I cannot swipe the screen to go to settings the Naviplus people say to hold the centre of the screen for 20 seconds? not working?
I have pulled the fuse to see if that will do anything I will let you know how I get on Thumbs Up

Post #633345 31st May 2022 11:41am
=dj=

When the tech demonstrated integration with his Android phone, did he use the touch screen for input at all? Or did he just use his phone's screen to input options?

It's possible the touch circuitry integration hasn't been installed quite right.

It's a resistive touch screen, so needs a bit of a prod (swipes are particularly unnatural on it) - but you'd have definitely seen it respond by now if it was functioning... Confused

(I'm assuming you mean the screen image is working OK, showing Waze maps etc on the touch screen, it's just not accepting touch inputs?)

Post #633350 31st May 2022 1:17pm
Tinman

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

This is the screens I get.

Post #633371 31st May 2022 4:45pm
Tinman

Hi, DJ what do you think about the screen that I posted?

Post #633421 1st Jun 2022 6:57am
=dj=

That's looking exactly how it should! Clearly the video and audio side it working properly Cool

You should of course now be able to press anywhere on the screen for something to happen - a quick tap on the dots in the bottom left would take you back to the home screen - a long press would invoke Siri, etc...

If there is no response to touch input, then something isn't connected correctly.

Did the technician demonstrate touch input on the screen?

Post #633432 1st Jun 2022 8:00am
Tinman

Hi Mate what you are saying and what I am thinking are the same, it all points to the installation.
The problem I now have is to have a fight with the installer or strip it out myself (as I should have done in the first place) Censored

Thanks for taking the time to respond to all my questions. :thumbs-up:

Alex

Post #633463 1st Jun 2022 12:26pm
=dj=

No problem, Alex!

If you do decide to strip it down yourself - it is a fair bit of work, but nothing is particularly complicated, and actually it's likely to be easier to pull out vents etc now that they have already been out recently Wink
Just give yourself a couple of full days (which should be more than enough!) to take it slowly without rushing, and post or PM any questions if and when you get stuck.... Thumbs Up

Post #633465 1st Jun 2022 12:57pm
Tinman

Thumbs Up

Post #633467 1st Jun 2022 1:01pm
Rackers

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Dual view version of the unique-ad system available for preorder.

https://unique-ad.co.uk/product/wireless-a...2009-2012/

Think I'm going to try this one out, looks to offer what Naviplus does!

Post #634849 17th Jun 2022 2:54pm
Faukstad

Norway 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

Gents, how do these systems work with back seat entertainment, for those of us who have that.?

Post #636845 13th Jul 2022 7:19pm
Full-fat-Lance

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

The unit doesn’t really interact with the RSE. Certainly nothing from the unit can be output on the RSE displays. At most, I expect the RSE can select the aux input to be able to listen to whatever you’re playing via the unit.

If the occupants use the remote, there will be no difference to how it operates. If you normally do it from the main screen, you’ll just need to swap between the unit and the car menus to control the RSE.

Post #636851 13th Jul 2022 9:44pm
Rackers

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Rackers wrote:
Dual view version of the unique-ad system available for preorder.

https://unique-ad.co.uk/product/wireless-a...2009-2012/

Think I'm going to try this one out, looks to offer what Naviplus does!

For anyone that is thinking about buying the Unique-ad dual view kit, I installed it last week and it works great as advertised.

I used a combination of their instructions as well as the ones that come with the Naviplus (that was posted to this thread) as well as some Youtube videos for extra help in taking various bits of the dash apart.

I'd say the hardest bit is taking the screen apart, there isn't a lot of room in there but just take your time.

It took two days with me doing other various bits in between but safe to say unless you've done the dash before, it isn't something you could do in one day.

Post #639398 12th Aug 2022 11:04am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 12 of 13 <123 ... 111213>