Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > Retrofit Deployable towbar - how to
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
nicksaab

2016 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Have finally managed to try and find out the part numbers for each of the different years
Model Year 2018+
Wiring Loom VPLGT0225
Switch VPLWT0243
Module VPLGT0204

Model Year 2017
Wiring Loom VPLGT0202
Switch VPLWT0243
Module VPLGT0206

Model Year 13-16
Wiring Loom VPLGT0216
Switch VPLWT0123
Module VPLGT0215

Caveat with the fact I haven't installed a 17 or 18+ so can't confirm but these are the numbers my research has found. Current Fleet:-
2018 Discovery 5 3.0 HSE
2021 Ford Ranger Wildtrack
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt 5.0 V8
1993 Defender 90 200TDI Pickup

Gone - not forgotten
2016 L405 4.4 SDV8 Vogue SE
2012 L322 4.4 Westminster
2004 L322 4.4 V8 Autobiography LE
2000 P38 RR 4.0 HSE (ex Clarkson test car)

Post #660764 31st Mar 2023 12:58pm
Ryanmt

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV6 Santorini Black

Currently collecting parts for a 2017 and those numbers look right. You want a module with wfedt on. If you have side steps it says wfedt +dss on it.

Has anyone installed the towbar without parts C and D yet? I have the towbar but not the support bracket. Curious to know if I can go to the dealer for the bits or I will need to find them used since I can't find part numbers for C+D

For anyone else fitting to a 2017 specifically the switch you need has a little picture of a trailer on it. If the switch has a power button it's for 12-16MY. If you are buying 2nd hand the parts don't have LR##### part numbers but they do have the following to help you identify the correct ones:

-Switch hk5m-18x10-aa
-Loom hk5m-140a01-aa

Also, the photo in the first post of the bumper cover is for the non deployable towbar, the correct one for the deployable towbar only has half the panel cutout.

If you want the correct towbar bumper cover it can be found used by looking for ck5m-17k950-ca

Last edited by Ryanmt on 24th May 2023 12:26pm. Edited 4 times in total

Post #662406 20th Apr 2023 7:34pm
Ryanmt

Following on for part C + D

Spoke to the dealer today and you still can't purchase them separately, the same part is used on the aftermarket westfalia towbars, I called them too and they cant sell that part either. Rolling Eyes

People have fitted them without the bracket but it means you end up with 2 less connecting bolts between the towbar and the chassis. I'm probably going to fabricate some - if anyone has one handy or happens to be lying under their range rover any time soon would you be able to let me know the thickness of them?

Last edited by Ryanmt on 24th May 2023 12:23pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #662442 21st Apr 2023 1:50pm
zenman63

England 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Indus Silver

Hmm still looking myself for C&D brackets,
If only someone could send me one I can get it into Cad to make them.
Must be loads still on cars about.
Has anyone used the iid tool to enable tow assist?

Post #662511 22nd Apr 2023 11:40am
Ryanmt

I don't have the brackets in hand to measure but I have found some close up photos, shouldn't be too difficult to take that design and make some measurements on the car if you wanted to draw them on cad.

Post #662682 24th Apr 2023 8:42am
zenman63

Oh that’s great well done, we can make a cad up and probably get some made.

Post #662722 24th Apr 2023 5:54pm
Ryanmt

There are CNC plasma cutting services that could be used. I have a co2 laser that could be used to prototype a flat template for bending using acrylic. Not sure it's worth it for 2 sets though? bit of time with the grinder can fabricate a set up of sufficient quality

Post #662730 24th Apr 2023 7:25pm
zenman63

Yes we need orders to make it worth our time, we have everything to make them no problem and can powder coat them as well.

Post #662734 24th Apr 2023 7:34pm
Ryanmt

Fitted my towbar today minus the support bracket on my 2017MY. I figured I can get the bulk of it done and fit the support when I track one down as it doesn't require removing the bumper again.

I already had the tbm module as I have deployable side steps, it was just a case of plugging in the loom and switch. The bulb check feature worked without coding but the car needed programming with pathfinder before the towbar would deploy.

Pathfinder doesn't have a ccf edit feature like ssd but you have the option to install the towbar from the service menu. Takes about 20mins to do so ensure the car has a charger connected (not a trickle one!) and away you go.

Post #663073 29th Apr 2023 8:12pm
Ryanmt

Another minor update, if anyone wants to purchase the correct tow eye for the towbar its the same as an L322 or L494 one so readily obtained off ebay (I got one for £14 delivered).

Fitting the towbar removes the factory fit tow eye so if you ever end up with a dead car that needs pulling backwards you'll need one.

Post #663710 9th May 2023 4:02pm
Smoggie35

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Thanks for this info Ryanmt. Just to confirm then if I already have deployable side steps fitted when I install mine all I need is to locate the socket in the harness in the spare wheel well?
I also guess it will be programmable with my GAP IID?

Post #663846 11th May 2023 11:55am
Ryanmt

That bit of advice is for the my17 specifically. If you have the smaller infotainment screen you want the older style module. Good news is these are easily obtained (not my listing..just a bargain)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404250753210?mk...media=COPY

No idea about IID as I use pathfinder or SSD. I suspect it will sort it..if not SSD will for sure. You can probably use the dealer or find someone local with the right lead to enable it for you. Again because yours is different you won't need it programmed before it will deploy.. more a nice to have so you get the modes on the dash etc.

Post #663902 11th May 2023 8:55pm
Smoggie35

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Thanks for the heads up. I have an MY16 AB so I’ll need the module you linked then. I’ll check first just to see what’s in the well as the spec for the AB says it’s deployable ready??
If I fit a new module it’ll probably need coding anyway so I’ll drop GAP a line on that after scanning.
Thanks again.

Post #663910 11th May 2023 10:18pm
Ryanmt

Pre MY17 the module is standalone and only controls the deployable towbar (same goes for the side steps which has its own dedicated module).

In MY17 they changed to the combined module, as a base they can all control the towbar but optionally they can have the ability to control the deployable side steps. If you have the side steps but no towbar from the factory it seems they turn off the towbar part of the module in the software and thats what pathfinder enables with the programming.

If the module has WFEDT + DSS on the sticker if the module is capable of running both deployable side steps and the towbar. - there are also some other codes that i'm not sure whey do. This later style module is pretty commonly used across JLR it seems so you get quite a few on ebay but with different codes. WFEDT = westfalia electrically deployable towbar, you can also get just EDT which i suspect is for the later vehicles or something like the velar towbars that are made by a different manufacturer - thats guesswork though.

tldr; for MY16 or earlier just get the module with the single connector and don't worry too much about programming, for MY17 and no DSS just get a module with WFEDT on, it'll probably work out of the box but you will need pathfinder to activate it on the dash. MY17 with DSS, you wont need the module as you already have it fitted but will need it programming before the towbar will deploy.

Post #663921 12th May 2023 9:06am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Ryanmt wrote:
Another minor update, if anyone wants to purchase the correct tow eye for the towbar its the same as an L322 or L494 one so readily obtained off ebay (I got one for £14 delivered).

Fitting the towbar removes the factory fit tow eye so if you ever end up with a dead car that needs pulling backwards you'll need one.

Surely you would just use the towbar no? Or am I missing something?

Post #663922 12th May 2023 9:06am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>