Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > front knuckle cracking
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 33 of 39 <123 ... 323334 ... 373839>
Print this entire topic · 
AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

Because in my past I've had 3 Range Rovers, my last one being the L322. I find them interesting and some of the owners interesting too, the phycology is incredible. I'm a real buy British fan wherever possible and obviously JLR has been a part of that BUT IMHO they have dramatically lost their way and reading about user experiences on here confirms my fears. I just hope and pray they can get their act back on track and produce world beating vehicles here in the UK.

Why are you here?

Apologies here for the thread drift. BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Post #673659 18th Sep 2023 7:36am
Kot

United Kingdom 

I am sure they are not ignorant enough to use Engineering Blue, but of course it raises a concern.

So does Anyone have the workshop procedure or can anyone get it? on how JLR instruct the technician to look for cracks etc presume its DP
Which NDT method, and is the technician suitably qualified to do such NDT inspections ie qualified under PCN etc?

An extract below from Gov HSE https://www.hse.gov.uk/comah/sragtech/ndt2.pdf regarding dye penetrant is interesting

4.3.2 Dye Penetrant Inspection
Dye penetrant inspection is less dependent on the component material but oxide layers or other contamination on the surface will affect the performance. In addition the material compatibility of the penetrant and cleaning fluids needs to be assessed.
Recommendations
2 Inspection procedures for non-standard materials should be designed or approved by
MT/PT Level 3 inspectors as appropriate with specific knowledge of such inspections. The procedure should be developed using representative test pieces in the same material as the component if the Level 3 judges that this is necessary.
2 In the case of MPI, for non-standard materials, inspectors should be given specific training and the opportunity to practice in advance of an inspection on representative test pieces containing defects.
2 Personnel qualification arrangements (in-house or external) for the inspection of non- standard materials should be established in the absence of suitable national certification arrangements.
 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #673662 18th Sep 2023 9:21am
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

Be interesting to know if these joints are actually taken apart for so called testing as without doing so l would have no confidence any potential failure could be 100% found. I would also seriously question wether all potential cracks could be found visually, engineering blue or not.

Post #673687 18th Sep 2023 12:24pm
cass

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

Mine was booked in for the recall tomorrow but I've just had a phone call to cancel as they can't get the parts as they are now on backorder with no ETA. As p155ed off as I am that they've (Stratstones) waited until 3pm the day before it's due, it does add weight to what I was told that my car is KNOWN to need the new parts.
I'm still believe that the cars being "inspected" are simply being checked to identify if they are fitted with the suspect parts and not "tested" for cracks - it seems to make more sense to me anyway.
I'll be interested to hear if anyone else is cancelled due to parts being on backorder?

Post #673715 18th Sep 2023 4:48pm
SCL

England 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

I booked mine in the same day Kot posted (16 Aug) about the recall for the 11 Sept (first day they had a courtesy car available). I received an email from the dealer on 7th Sept advising the parts have now gone on back order. Now rebooked for 6th Oct. You can't swim uphill in custard all the time, sometimes you just have to go with the flow.

Post #673718 18th Sep 2023 6:07pm
XJRSuper

2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

I've followed this thread for a while and my 2015 car has had both knuckles replaced.

I think it's clear from the posts there is still a bit of confusion. For cars where they are doing inspections it is not to see if there is a crack. It's to see if the parts fitted are within the batch that is problematic. That has been said above already, but people still seem to be posting worrying about whether they'll be able to identify a crack in an inspection. That's not the point of the inspection. The inspection identifies if the part fitted is in the problematic batch. For some VIN ranges it's guaranteed it will be, for others it's not, hence the inspection.

Worth repeating that point so that we don't keep getting posts worrying about whether cracks are identified. That's not what the inspections are checking for.

Best of luck to everyone getting it sorted - mine went smoothly. both knuckles replaced, and is fine, if that's of some reassurance to those within the affected VIN range. 2015 Range Rover SDV8 Vogue SE

Post #673798 19th Sep 2023 2:07pm
jedza707

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover HSE TDV6 Santorini Black

I have a MY15 for which I have received a recall letter, booked in for 20/10 at Northampton.

The design of this knuckle has always worried me. It just looks so flimsy for the heavy car that the RR is Rolling Eyes

Post #673801 19th Sep 2023 2:13pm
swissomatic

United States 2015 Range Rover 5.0 SC V8 Fuji White

Has anyone seen anything from US. I know Canada had a recall but I am unaware of USA action....Maybe I missed it.

Post #673806 19th Sep 2023 3:04pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

XJRSuper wrote:
Worth repeating that point so that we don't keep getting posts worrying about whether cracks are identified. That's not what the inspections are checking for.

Almost, but not quite - JLR themselves have used confusing wording in the recall Q&A...... but I'd expect nothing more than a visual check that I could do myself.

JLR Technical Q&A wrote:

For vehicles in Period 1 (14-15 MY vehicles) the technician will replace both front suspension knuckles.
For vehicles in Period 2 (16MY vehicles) an inspection of both front suspension knuckles’ production batch codes will be completed. Where any component batch code is within the suspect batch range, the technician will replace the front suspension knuckle. Where the component batch code is not within the suspect batch code range, the technician will inspect both front suspension knuckles for the presence of any cracks. Where cracks are found, the front suspension knuckle will be replaced.

Full Q&A PDF here

Post #673812 19th Sep 2023 3:17pm
XJRSuper

2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

Alistair you're quite right for non-affected batches. It confuses the issue, but the point that I think wasn't clear (and I didn't quite articulate) is that no affected batch will be inspected for a crack. It'll be replaced, and the inspection is to confirm if the dodgy batch is fitted.

I guess inspecting for cracks if not a dodgy batch is just an additional belt and braces procedure in the circumstances, but there is no reason to believe any issue will apply to those vehicles.

If anyone does have a car in the VIN range of "possible dodgy batch", finds their car doesn't t have a dodgy batch fitted, but DOES have a crack, that would be very interesting to share! 2015 Range Rover SDV8 Vogue SE

Post #673825 19th Sep 2023 4:00pm
cass

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

I expect we’ll never know if there are any cracks on the “good” parts.
That would just open up a whole new can of worms !

Post #673840 19th Sep 2023 5:33pm
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Here you go, 2018 car:

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic66376...18+knuckle

Post #673842 19th Sep 2023 5:42pm
lawsey

England 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

My car was booked for the 21 Sept. Dealer has rang and cancelled appointment as no parts available.
I asked for re-book date and was told " No leadtime " on when they can expect the parts.
I asked if my car was safe to use.
There reply! That's up to you.
Thank you for your help!!!

Post #673872 19th Sep 2023 11:12pm
ChrisJC

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Aintree Green

Mine is scheduled to be looked at tomorrow. Dealer rang me today and said that the parts are on back order - can he give my number to a car rental company so they can provide me with a car.

I am sure I'm not getting a Range Rover as a courtesy car, but it's definitely a step in the right direction.

I just wonder how long it's going to be!

Chris. L405 - 4.4SDV8 Vogue
P38 - 4.6V8 HSE
Land Rover series IIA V8

Post #673937 20th Sep 2023 6:52pm
RutlandBoy

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Had mine checked (and replaced) today at Marshalls Peterborough, previous appointment canceled due to part availability as per the previous post.

Good service from them today.

I asked upon pick up if they were checked and replaced or simply replaced, got a slightly odd look from the service agent, and was told they are replacing them all regardless - whatever that means !

Either way felt slightly more confident driving home and upon checking yep two shiny new ones - let's see if there are problems with those !!! L405 4.4 V8 Vogue SE Santorini Black
RRS L390 4.2 S/C Stornoway Grey
Classic Range Rover Overfinch 5.7 - their first prototype - under restoration
Late Range Rover P38
Range Rover 3.9 Classic Softdash
Range Rover Classic Overfinch 5.7 - Sadly gone
Disco 3 - Gone
Disco 2 - Gone
TD5 - Gone

Post #674539 29th Sep 2023 5:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 33 of 39 <123 ... 323334 ... 373839>