Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > Alternative to L405 gear selector
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 11 <123 ... 78 91011>
Print this entire topic · 
JDGeorgia

United States 2006 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Buckingham Blue

Between woodworking orders and Day Job travel... not much has happened.
Returned from Minnesota this evening to find the Mouser order had been delivered! LaShonda is good... (Also got the MY17 HUD from eBay as well... that is another post. https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic68365.html)

Took some time to assemble the rest of the PigTail.

The fancy schmancy pins - probably did not need to be so fancy schmancy...
I only ended up screwing up 1 Pin crimp - New League Record!

Since the scab had pins coming from a PCB... I am not inserting the pins into a 'pin holder' - in fact, they don't fit. Not even close... I just butted them up against the back of the scab with some CA Glue - but it is good info for future generations of idiots.

Click image to enlarge

Inserting the L405 (12 hole) pigtail into the Scab was key. Thanks for that.
I inserted it all the way since I was working on the backside and there is a mil or so of airspace even when it was clicked in.

Click image to enlarge

Each wire was crimped and the crimp was 'heat shrinked' (Blue) - then I decided I really should have used a slightly larger wrap to catch the square base of the 'pin'(Green).

It was all checked for continuity and shorts between the wires - I left the (12 Wire) pigtail inserted and checked wire color to wire color. I inserted the screwed up 'pin' into the L494 Female - clamped the negative, touched the positive to the stripped end of the L405 pigtail. All good.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The machine screws to hold the L494 Lever into the sub-frame will be sourced from Ace Hardware tomorrow if I get some time at lunch.

I have been going through Vids and the L405 Workshop Manual (Thanks for that) on how to remove the top of the console - if we are not careful - this may happen... FAFO! JDW 2006 L322 HSE LUX 4.4NA Jag V8 Buckingham Blue/Ivory - 'Col Reb'
Rolled Yahtzee Aug 2023 222,222Miles
2016 L405 HSE TD6. Santorini Black over Almond. - 'Donna the Diesel'
Only L405 IN THE KNOWN UNIVERSE with an L494 Shift Lever Fitted!
97K at purchase Sept of 2023

Last edited by JDGeorgia on 10th Nov 2023 2:46am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #677584 9th Nov 2023 1:59am
JDGeorgia

Bought the Machine Screws for the L494 Lever to Sub-Frame today - in the US - you can find them at Ace Hardware... M5X20 .80 pitch for the screws ($0.53/ea).

I also bought 'split washers' or 'lock washers'($0.16/ea), but will probably just go with Loctite Blue.

Not sure if there is a British equivalent to the Southern phrase 'Wallered out'... but when I test fit the lever - I noticed that the front nylon holes were a bit wallered out, and the back was fine...

Click image to enlarge

Naturally, it is a more aggressive 'shift' into Drive than it is into Reverse and the front screws take the brunt of that.
I will hit Ace again this weekend and get some M5 flat washers to spread torque of the Need for Speed!
Some Pics to add to the library (at Alexandria)...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 2006 L322 HSE LUX 4.4NA Jag V8 Buckingham Blue/Ivory - 'Col Reb'

Post #677638 10th Nov 2023 2:43am
aljo

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE 2.0 PHEV Santorini Black

How are you progressing with the gear lever swap ? Hope itโ€™s going well ๐Ÿ‘ and not causing too many problems Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where,s the f**king ceiling!!

Post #678677 25th Nov 2023 10:10am
JDGeorgia

aljo,

I guess I have been awfully quiet - especially for my verbose self - of late...

Day job has picked up a couple of new clients that required travel(I am in a hotel as I type this). I also had some woodworking projects I had to get out. Here in the States we have Thanksgiving, so I was on Holiday on Hilton Head Island for the week. The Iron Bowl - American College football with my beloved Tigers vs the toothless inbreeds from Tuscaloosa - was Saturday and I was there... Probably too much info. In short, Life has been busy.

In the coming weeks I will have some time to dismantle the center console. I was looking at the components yesterday thinking I need to get back on that.

Thanks for checking in - JDW 2006 L322 HSE LUX 4.4NA Jag V8 Buckingham Blue/Ivory - 'Col Reb'

Post #678891 28th Nov 2023 3:07am
JDGeorgia

ONLY L405 IN THE KNOWN UNIVERSE WITH A GEAR LEVER!!!!!!

Gentlemen (and Ladies),

We DID IT!!!

A proper gear lever from an L494 CAN be swapped into an L405 - at least from an Electro-Mechanical standpoint... There is much to do, but ride along with me as I take the only L405 in the known universe with a gear lever on a spin around the block...

Click image to enlarge

I don't seem to be able to post videos here... so please enjoy the ROUGH cut video of my first drive with the L494 Gearshift (lever).

The subframe is too wide and the lever is too deep. It will take work to get this thing looking like it came from the UK this way. A Dremel and a cut-off wheel will prove invaluable. Then there is the issue of the top of the console. To look Factory will be the biggest challenge to date.

The 'Range Rover filler' is a chromed plastic piece that can be removed... but there is no support to move it to the front.

Things are completely torn apart - so if you need pics of something on the guts of the L405.
Let me know - now is a good time to get them. Thanks to all the folks that provided part numbers, technical advice and general encouragement - never would have thought of doing this without y'all.

The 'Pretty Bits' will be the most difficult, but hopefully it will work as smoothly.

More to come in the days ahead! - JDW 2006 L322 HSE LUX 4.4NA Jag V8 Buckingham Blue/Ivory - 'Col Reb'

Post #679087 30th Nov 2023 12:14am
DrF

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Orkney Grey

Well JDGeorgia,

Congratulations, a world first Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

That's a labour of love and looks great, brilliant video lets hope the unsupervised time renders good results. I like it. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Now comes the really hard bit, making it look factory. Well done again.

The fact you have 7,000 page views must make this one of the most viewed pages, keep up the sterling work.

Post #679090 30th Nov 2023 12:27am
JDGeorgia

Dr F - if you are ever in Atlanta - let me know... would love to have you by.
We only do (sweet) Iced Tea... but if you are here in July or August you will understand!

In my #DayJob and woodworking, I am used to Concept to Creation - but this was kinda nuts!
Adapt, Overcome, Improvise, Conquer... 2006 L322 HSE LUX 4.4NA Jag V8 Buckingham Blue/Ivory - 'Col Reb'

Post #679092 30th Nov 2023 12:36am
DrF

JD Georgia,

Thanks for your kind offer.

As a result of your sterling efforts, I believe it's time we should honour efforts such as this. Therefore I am proposing we should have an annual awards on the forum, you sir are my nomination of 2023. Thumbs Up

Post #679094 30th Nov 2023 12:44am
JDGeorgia

I am pretty sure they already have an award for this kind of stuff... it is called the Darwin Awards! Rolling with laughter

https://darwinawards.com/

I come from a long line of White Trash - so if an award is presented and I can not be present... These are my people! They will represent me.
https://www.peopleofwalmart.com/ 2006 L322 HSE LUX 4.4NA Jag V8 Buckingham Blue/Ivory - 'Col Reb'

Post #679095 30th Nov 2023 12:55am
DrF

Now there is some things I can't unsee!!!

Post #679096 30th Nov 2023 1:00am
aljo

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE 2.0 PHEV Santorini Black

Fantastic work Thumbs Up great to see a genius at work Thumbs Up
I would certainly second you for an award Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where,s the f**king ceiling!!

Post #679175 30th Nov 2023 8:06pm
Andy S

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Aintree Green

Excellent work and definitely worthy of an award.

Also tells me its not a straight swap, which is kind of what I was hoping!

Post #679183 30th Nov 2023 10:22pm
JDGeorgia

Let's not celebrate too soon...

The Frustration Meter TM - is at an all time high... Censored Big Cry Censored Big Cry Censored
2 hours during lunch and I am spitting nails. Maybe I should have eaten BEFORE grabbing the cut-off wheel. Nothing like low blood sugar and power tools!

I cut out a part of the console 'floor' that I probably did not need to...

Click image to enlarge

It turns out that there a foam duct - kind of brilliant actually - under the floor of the console.
I assume it is a Temp Probe that was hot glued to a square cut-out in the top of the duct. I removed the probe and it's holder from the bottom side of the console floor and re-glued it back to the top of the duct.

Click image to enlarge

The Sub Frame is floating in mid air in the L405... there is no good way nor place to attach it to measure anything. It is also too wide. I cut off the lower left 'foot', and sanded down the side that slams against the driver side 'wall' - even with that it appears to be too far toward the center of the console... Censored (is there a limit to the number of censored imogees one can use in a single post?)

The only thing in futzing around that seemed to have any kind of promise was to possibly 'hang' it from the underside of the console lid like the spinny knob. I know we discounted that a while back, but I could build an 'adapter' piece(s) of wood that the L494 would screw into - and then a different set of holes to catch the L405 holes in the underside of the console. this could be made in such a way to add support
I would probably run it in such a way that a 'filler piece would just sit down on it.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

If I can get the silver bit flush or even a little proud, it would be less of a crumb catcher than the L494...

Things got a little weird(er) at one point, aaaaand I completely disassembled the L494 gearshift...
If memory serves, I was trying to get the 'chrome' oval trim off the gearshift - it looked like it would involve drilling out a giant rivet and witchcraft and blood sacrifice - so I reassembled it before I forgot how it came apart.
But just in case anyone wants to see the guts of the L494 Gear Shift module...

Click image to enlarge

I may let this rest for a couple of days or weeks... As one of Santa's Helpers, I have 'toys' to get out before Christmas.

If an adapter can be built and successfully hung from the bottom of the console... there is hope yet. 2006 L322 HSE LUX 4.4NA Jag V8 Buckingham Blue/Ivory - 'Col Reb'

Last edited by JDGeorgia on 30th Nov 2023 11:45pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #679188 30th Nov 2023 11:33pm
JDGeorgia

Andy S wrote:
Excellent work and definitely worthy of an award.

Also tells me its not a straight swap, which is kind of what I was hoping!

You're dead to me...

It was your post that started all this! We need POSITIVE Chee projected into the Universe... 2006 L322 HSE LUX 4.4NA Jag V8 Buckingham Blue/Ivory - 'Col Reb'

Post #679190 30th Nov 2023 11:41pm
DrF

Evening JDGeorgia,

As with all things JLR, two steps back one step forward, however I have to say it's looking rather good, and nothing a few cold fizzy beverages won't solve.

I have every confidence you're wizidary will make this look nothing short of amazing old bean Thumbs Up .

Keep up the sterling work, and I look forward to the next installment. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

I would love to see the main dealers face when you drive it in for a service....

Post #679191 30th Nov 2023 11:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 8 of 11 <123 ... 78 91011>