Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

a lot of caravan parks have or are installing EV chargers,

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/uk-holidays/...-charging/ ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #691202 24th Apr 2024 2:16pm
EdJ

United Kingdom 

I love driving my PHEV in electric mode - it's sublimely quiet and relaxing, and suits the FFRR well.

My most recent trip to the French Alps however highlighted that having to find somewhere to charge the car would completely ruin that journey. Admittedly it was the school holidays, but the queues for the limited number of electric charge points were huge, and of course you have to wait for the car to charge once you plug it in. 2024 Range Rover P550e AB

Post #691204 24th Apr 2024 2:24pm
DrF

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Orkney Grey

I think you may have inadvertently answered your own question, in my view EVs are only any good if leased and you don't do long journeys, as the long term maintenance costs are prohibitive and in my view it's a replay of the government saying everyone should buy a diesel (that went well!!!) I do smile when i pull into motorway services and see the ques of teslas waiting to charge given the number of cars vs chargers (esp working ones!)

Captain doom here, In my view EVs are a short sighted vision, especially given the damage caused by mining lithium etc and then the disposal costs and environmental impacts, plus the added manufacture costs and impacts.

Only my Wednesday rant!! but I will forever be Petrol I am afraid, I now do very little mileage so my carbon footprint is very low and I intend to keep my cars. So buy once, buy right, and maintain well, is my mantra.

Rant over

Post #691205 24th Apr 2024 2:32pm
EdJ

United Kingdom 

Have to say I agree with you. In my circle of friends, everyone who has an electric car, also has a ICE car as well. Hybrids solve that problem to an extent, but you are carrying a lot of weight that you don't use most of the time.

I'm holding out for some sort of synthetic fuel that I can then also keep using in classic cars. 2024 Range Rover P550e AB

Post #691206 24th Apr 2024 2:35pm
DrF

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Orkney Grey

I agree I am waiting for P1 to be available, wont be long.

Long live the ICE Thumbs Up

Post #691208 24th Apr 2024 2:41pm
AndyRoo

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Fuji White

P1 fuels are available now, but currently only for racing applications as far as I know, I assume you'd have to have quite a serious remap to be able to use that in a fatty.

But you'd be quite smug knowing your potentially producing about 80%+ less CO2.

The downside, you have to buy it privately, it's not available on the street so that's a bit of a problem, as is storage, if you travel any distance from home. Also 255 Euros for 54litres, means 4.7 Euros per Litre is not unreasonable but tax will be high. I don't think you can use it on the road legally though as tax need to be applied, similar situation to red diesel..

Anyone knows differently I'd be interested. Fuji White 2012 4.4 TDV8 Westmiinster

Post #691211 24th Apr 2024 3:05pm
JackRegan

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Waitomo Grey

Here is an interesting website - https://grid.iamkate.com/

It shows the Nation Grid demand/generation.

It refreshes a few times every hour and gives you an idea of where the grid's electricity is coming from.

As I type our demand is 36.7GW but our generation is only 30.5GW. The other 6.2GW is getting imported. In a nutshell, if the wind isn't blowing, we have to burn a lot of gas and then import the rest.

We can't rely on the weather, Solar doesn't generate at night and cloud cover is an issue. When the wind is good it can generate over 22GW alone. Nuclear supplies 5-6GW without any sites being down for maintenance or repair. I think we had four nuclear sites down recently, so imagine that with no wind and no sunshine and a queue of EV's waiting to charge their 80+kWh batteries.

So after reading these figures, where is the capacity going to come from if we have an influx of new EV's? 2016MY TDV6 Autobiography - Off The Road
2011MY 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography Black - Gone
2005 TD6 Vogue - Gone

Post #691219 24th Apr 2024 4:56pm
Salsbury

Canada 2014 Range Rover 5.0 SC V8 Barolo Black

If you fancy zapping about in an electric car, I'd say leasing is the way to go. The tech—especially those batteries—is bounding ahead faster than a cheetah on a treadmill. Splashing out on buying one outright? Well, you're basically just throwing your cash into a great big science project. Stick with leasing—keeps you current without the commitment. For me, it's V8 for the foreseeable future.

Post #691228 24th Apr 2024 5:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234