Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > What to do if your DPF is blocked...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 12 of 40 <123 ... 111213 ... 383940>
Print this entire topic · 
Dr richie_poor

Australia 
Thanks for the info and a few comments

Firstly having spent the last hour reading this thread I feel much more up to speed on DPF issues - thank you so much to all especially Greg

Here is a little story you may enjoy, especially the self confessed DPF nerds..

The last couple of months have been a DPF nightmare for me and my 2016 Evoque - yes I know its not fully fat but please forgive this transgression, its just that this thread is the most helpful one on the net that I have found

For 2 years 6 months, from new, I only had one random red which dealer fixed. but in the last 12 weeks I have had three "go directly to red without passing yellow" the later only 8 days after the car had been returned. I am still driving in the the same manner - although I now realise I am the poster boy for the wrong person buying a diesel Big Cry

I should definitely have not bought a diesel but the selling dealer (different to my current one) wasn't about to tell me I shouldn't buy his car and nowhere in any owner's manual or JLR promotional material is there a warning that the advertised yellow light situation may in fact be skipped in favour of red. We have really strong consumer protection laws in this country so am currently communicating my concerns/annoyance with the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission

My dealer has been fantastic in so much as I always get a replacement car whilst mine is in and they are trying all they can but we both suspect that recent upgrades to the RR software possibly due to newer ECU6 requirements has pushed my borderline driving activity into the twilight zone. My car goes in regularly for other reasons (don't get me started) and every time gets all software updated so it could easily have happened just prior to the start of my woes

I know I have to sell and move on but if I trade I loose a lot and am reluctant to sell privately until I can be sure the problem is mainly with me

To this end it would be great to be able to monitor what is happening. After extensive searching it seems the IIDtool is the best bet but in Australia a little pricey given that I may be out of the car in 3 months.

However plenty of cheaper options look like they can get a live reading from the DPF differential pressure sensor. Would it be possible for someone with the IIDtool to see if a conversion chart can be plotted - gm soot vs DPF DPS reading? It would only need a few values to be helpful
17gm = ? DPS reading
23 = "
27 = "
28 = "

Obviously my car will be different - It may well have different soot levels needed to trigger events and may be at different DPS readings. I am just interested in the concept

My brilliant dealer has offered to "read" my DPF weekly and before and after a long run so will ask him to let me know the DPS readings as well. Fortunately I am semi retired and my wife is always on at me to get a hobby Laughing

Realistically I only go for a long run once a week and it seems timing is everything. if the car is below 17gm when I do it I will miss out on a regen but at least I will benefit from passive? But if I wait to much longer I may get a red. One bit of good news from today's visit to the dealer (the car is still being tested) is that the mechanic fessed up that he forgot to clear a code which contributed to the most recent 8 day turn around - success to failure. Actually there is a second bit of good news - they know how to make me a great cup of coffee!

Bad news is that I have been running a Disco loaner and have managed to get a red light on that in just 3 weeks!!! aargh

It had 47 gms and went straight to red. In fact it was so high that they couldn't do a forced regen but after we drove for 30 mins in limp the gms came down to under 36 and we could then do the forced regen and back to 2gm. I was in the car with the mechanic and they used a little hand held OBD tool to force the regen

FYI I have found this on line Nexas ND602 http://www.nexastech.com/index.php?s=/List/index/cid/1.html
Which is a JLR specific variant of their diagnostic tool that advertises that it can do a forced regen. Not sure if it can also clear the red light code but then I suspect you IIDtool can do that? Quite reasonably priced

Anyways nice to hear friendly voices from the motherland..coming home end of July to watch the Ashes with divided loyalties

Cheers Richard

Post #520682 5th Jul 2019 4:30am
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Hi Richard,

Glad to hear this has been of some use. You are very welcome here, but also suggest you get on Evoque forums as you really need the workshop manual to see if the above scale applies to the Evoque.

It's interesting to hear the Discovery was also a problem.

As for alternate devices I'm not too confident you can clear a red warning - and you can't with an IID - having borrowed another members iCarSoft I think it was (see many pages up for exact details).

So if buying one, you may be best to get in writing that whichever device can clear a red, that way you can return it more easily. When I rang around trying to buy a device that definitely would, none would give me an absolute yes and many said no. I'd they say but it says it does, they'd put me on hold and then come back and say errr no it won't on your car.

That said another member a few pages up did have success with one system but I could not easily see where to buy and it may be PC laptop based with an OBD reader dongle.

Best of luck, Greg Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #520691 5th Jul 2019 8:06am
GGDR

Matt that fill rate does not sound great. Big Cry Big Cry

I'd be looking at EGR next. I've been hunting around on pistonheads just trying to broaden the net a bit and there were a couple of cases of DPF problems, EGR replaced and things settling down.

I'd also be straight on the phone to the tech you used and asking him to get more help from the 'network'.

Are your four intake hoses ok?

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Post #520692 5th Jul 2019 8:11am
Dr richie_poor

Australia 

Hi Matt

Thanks for the welcome and the advice

I'm afraid I was a little obtuse with my first post - yes i saw the soot figures from Greg's original post. Admittedly they are probably not the same for my Evoque but my mechanic will probably give me the figures I need.

What I was wondering is if anyone has correlated these figures to a read out from the Differential Pressure Sensor. The technical bulletin mentions that soot levels are calculated from amalgamating DPS readings with the EPG and temperature readings via some not mentioned calculation. It is much easier and cheaper to get an OBD device that will read the DPS - the thing that SSD software and IIDtool software does is convert the readings and others into a soot level

So.. can one just read the DPS and correlate that reliably to a soot approximation without input from EPG and Temp and doing the calculation.

I think one could get the figures from IIDtool (DPS and Soot) and see if they always correlate for all driving conditions. sadly i don't as yet have a IIDtool but after your comment I might spend my holiday money on one if I am still having problems

My other option as mentioned is I am sure my mechanic will give me DPS readings when he is checking the soot for me and if I get enough i maybe able to predict problems just from the DPS which is my holy grail

Cheers Richard

Post #520693 5th Jul 2019 8:39am
Dr richie_poor

Australia 

Hi Greg

I'm scouring Evoque forums as we speak (god what a depressing read) but this thread has still been the most informative from a general point of view regarding DPF workings

You are right - i misunderstood previous posts - I thought you couldn't do a forced regen with IIDtool - The device i mentioned will do that but probably not reset the light

Onwards and upwards

Richard

Post #520694 5th Jul 2019 8:43am
GGDR

Just for clarity -the IID will not clear a red and/or force a regen
. Cheers, Greg

Post #520696 5th Jul 2019 8:54am
GGDR

Hi again Richard,

I don't know how the pressure differential reading actually equates to soot.

Well if you read a few pages back you can understand the theory.

But I think it's quite a complicated algorithm so I can't suggest a solution for you. Sorry.

. Cheers, Greg

Post #520699 5th Jul 2019 9:09am
Bill

United Kingdom 

[quote="Matt M"] My wife pointed out a normal person without an IIDTool and a preference for perfection would not even notice this![/b]

all the best,

Matt

Quote:

She might be right!!!!! Rolling with laughter

Just a serious thought. Why not try two tankfulls of seriously expensive town/city diesel or similar from one of the oil majors.
See if it makes a significant difference to the soot. It’s worth a tenner to rule it out.
I try and turn the auto stop start off every journey, can’t be good for the engine.

I was horrified at the amount of soot they found (posted before) at the air recirculation poin ( throttle body stuck) t as that had jammed open. I always use el cheepo supermarket diesel.

Watching with interest & sympathy

Bill
 Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #520710 5th Jul 2019 10:10am
Baltic Blue

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

I did a three month trial using 2 bottles of this additive to supermarket diesel.
It made not one iota of difference to the performance of the car or to the soot build-up rate.

Click image to enlarge

Mike. G reg 2.5VM Vogue Portofino red 1991- 1999
V reg 2.5td P38 Rioja red 1999- 2006
53 reg td6 Vogue Oslo blue 2006- 2015
11 reg 4.4 TdV8 Vogue SE. Baltic blue 2015- date.
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic56162...tty+affair

Post #520713 5th Jul 2019 10:54am
Dr richie_poor

Australia 

Thanks Greg

I will see what happens with my weekly soot and DPS readings and adv if anything useful eventuates

Probably not but you never know

Post #520715 5th Jul 2019 11:23am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

i thought it was the heat generated by the exhaust that is the main factor for dpf regen not the speed of the vehicle...am i wrong? ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #520741 5th Jul 2019 3:20pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #520746 5th Jul 2019 3:32pm
GGDR

Well Matt that's an interesting turn! We should talk! I'm wondering if they did any software update? Sounds like a hack.

I've had a slow-speed regeneration which I think I posted a few pages back. Another time recently I was on the M40 and as the temp rose I hit a column of traffic then I'm crawling at 5mph and the temp stayed at 505 degrees for five mins before dropping back

The main need for speed is not to reach temp. The engine does this by adding fuel to the exhaust stroke. As such, and as above I got 505 degrees at 748rpm.

The need for speed comes, as I understand it, from the need to keep the vehicle from catching fire!
Really! Staying static while your DPF cooks at 600 degrees carries a degree of fire risk Imagine if you were to drive over grass for example.

Matt I'll drop you my number on PM in case you want to chat, I'd love to know more!..

Greg Cheers, Greg

Post #520762 5th Jul 2019 5:19pm
GGDR

I do think the EGR valve could be a contributor to a too-fast-filling DPF.

I've been digging on pistonheads a bit more and, although anecdotal:

Quote:
if the EGR valve is sticking due to carbon build up...With the EGR valve open when it shouldn't be, the engine produces particulate matter (PM) quicker than it should, leading to more regenerations being required, and as the EGR valve is open during a regeneration, it is only ever partially effective.

(Meaning the valve should be fully closed, but crud prevents it closing properly)

Needs more actual research, but I'd bet hard cash notes my EGR and well whole intake system - has some clogging.
Perhaps it's not closing properly.

If the throttle body is clogged too that may affect things as equally.

It's the mix of o2 vs exhaust gas that both of these control.
And that mix (o2 vs exhaust gas) also affects soot production - (I am right on this?)

What do we think?

. Cheers, Greg

Post #520837 6th Jul 2019 11:51am
Baltic Blue

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

Matt,
I have just double checked and number of demanded regens is not an option on my iid.

Click image to enlarge

This is what I intend to monitor from now, unless the brains trust convince me alter my selected values.

Greg,
If the soot on my MAPT sensor only a couple of weeks after cleaning it is any sort of guide, then yes I think we would all find the throttle body and EGR’s pretty dirty, but the fact that I have recently seen an Active regen bring my soot mass down to 2.3g suggests to me that they are closing and opening correctly and not sticking.
Also Matt’s mega clean didn’t help his. ???
Mike. G reg 2.5VM Vogue Portofino red 1991- 1999
V reg 2.5td P38 Rioja red 1999- 2006
53 reg td6 Vogue Oslo blue 2006- 2015
11 reg 4.4 TdV8 Vogue SE. Baltic blue 2015- date.
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic56162...tty+affair

Post #520838 6th Jul 2019 12:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 12 of 40 <123 ... 111213 ... 383940>