Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Electrical Gremlin Help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
the_ferret82

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver
Electrical Gremlin Help

Help, i have a random intermittent Electrical Gremlin that i cant trace that's driving me nuts. and pointers where to look would be appreciated. ill do my best to describe the issue.

so as already described this is a intermittent fault and i cant seam to get the fault to happen on command it also never happens in the same condition twice or under the same driving style.

the issue is i can be driving along either though town or down he motorway perfectly and then the TPMS light on the dash flashes over and over really fast, then the dash flashes up Tire Pressure Monitoring Fault, then any playing music will stop and the radio will power cycle. it will keep doing this over and over and some times clears itself while driving sometimes not. once i stop and park up the car and is still doing the mad reboot and turn the engine off it wont let me restart the car it acts like its immobilised. some times after a while it will clear its self some times it wont. and i have tried pulling fuse 18 to trick it into starting again some times this helps and other times it does not and i find a bit of persistence will allow me to start it sometimes.

i have not had a chance to put a fault reader on the car yet.

i have pulled the back left of the car part to check for water ingress and i can see no signs of any water ingress and i have also opened and checked each of the units and there is no marks on any of the boards

Post #547961 22nd Mar 2020 8:54pm
the_ferret82

well made some inroads last night and managed to attach the computer to the car..

it suggests that the cluster software is corrupt

so i have re flashed the cluster will see how it goes next.

Post #548079 23rd Mar 2020 9:31pm
DucatiBrandon

United States 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Ipanema Sand

For giggles check the black box on the passenger rear side compartment. It’s the TPMS box. I pulled mine out the other day and dumped two cups of water out of it. This was causing all sorts of issues and I seen another guy have the same problems your having. Worth a look. Good luck

Post #548299 25th Mar 2020 11:27pm
the_ferret82

thanks for the heads up ill have a look tomorrow... it did seam dry that side.

Post #548300 25th Mar 2020 11:30pm
Ragingrover

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Nara Bronze

Not very helpful I know but has all the hallmarks of a common ground connection or soldered joint breaking down. As said water definately doesn't help ...

Post #548395 27th Mar 2020 10:54am
the_ferret82

i managed to get some time yesterday to look at the TPMS module and other modules that's side of the car and they where all dry and showed no signs of water ingress. so happy there.

just seen the post about the grounding issue, is there any common points to check?

Post #548399 27th Mar 2020 11:21am
Ragingrover

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Nara Bronze

Depending how confident you are with wiring diagarms and schematics, then have a look on the Wiki section, pretty sure you'll find information in there.
I've had similar issues with all makes of cars (some more than others!) where contacts on multi-pin plugs have minor corrosion, especially were there is copper alloy used for the male/female connections. So use some contact cleaner and excersice them. Also common(ish) is circuit boards with dry joints/corrosion which are easy to fix if you know what to look for. So if there is a unit thats central to the problems then get board out of its plastic home and investigate.
Failing that then broken wires in the loom sections can be a mare and cause all sorts of freaky bizarre issues, again its down to schematics, patience and confidence to have a go. In your case it seems less likely but others on here know the specifics on these cars much much better than I do. I'm a relative LR beginner.
I've got quite a bit of experince fault finding in Mercedes and these are common issues, so no reason to beleive that Landrover have some superior manufacturers or quality ! LOL

Post #548411 27th Mar 2020 1:24pm
the_ferret82

Hi Ragingrover,

apologies for the slow response but works been a little busy last few weeks. im quite confident with wiring diagrams, so am quite happy to trace though them was just hoping there was a quick win to check based on peoples experience. ill save going though the wiring diagrams until the issue rears its head again, likey when i drive it more regularly again post lock down will update on here if / when things develop.

Post #549595 7th Apr 2020 8:27am
the_ferret82

Just a small update, had the car out a few times over the locakdown fro some shopping and when works has allowed, and the problem is still there. altho i have now started to notice a patten it seams to happen when its been cold over night / sudden drop in temperature.

with this information i have been doing some reading and i found a post rangerover.net that described the issue i was having, only difference was it was on a Range rover sport but of the same year. decided to read on and there is a few comments on there about people saying they have it on there L322's. after much reading ti was suggested its either a cluster issue or the plus / wiring issue to the cluster.

armed with this information i removed the top half of the dash to have a look and remove and reseat all the plugs i did this as well as correctly mounted the fusebox in the dash that was only held in with one screw.... other then this i saw nothing obliviously wrong i reassembled the car and started the car up boom error straight off and would not clear itself.. Sad

being tired and frustrated at this point i left it, started the car up this morning and all ok.. Grr, so i have left it as is for now to see if i get the error back if so ill try stripping the dash down again and try all the pugs and connectors and wiring and check it much much closer

Post #553290 9th May 2020 7:14pm
RR P38

Australia 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

Take a look at the ECU in the LEFT FRONT FOOT WELL
Its right down low out board side, pop the cover off it and take a look around the circuit board you will need to remove it to do this.
There is a pretty large resistor on the board which can get some serious oxidisation about it which will cause canbus errors galore.
I had similar issues to you, cleaned it up and all is well

Post #553325 10th May 2020 11:48am
the_ferret82

hi RR P38,

i take it this is the ECU you mean?

its the one that controls the adaptive headlights.

inside looks good

Have cleaned it up anyhow.

Post #553341 10th May 2020 2:57pm
RR P38

I have an 03
My module had a sizeable scart type connector on it, yes it did have some headlight leveling function
My issue was water ingress due to blocked sunroof drain and water collected in the footwell
The oxidisation interrupted communications with my obd reader I couldnt access many modules
The trouble is interference is created in the bus which corrupts the data stream as it were an issue can appear down stream from the actual problem, the entire system is as one its like a nervous system.

Looking at the codes in the list you posted previously;

UO155-87

Lost Communication With Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Control Module - Missing Message
Missing message from the Instrument Cluster
CAN Network fault
Check the Instrument Cluster for stored DTCs. Using the manufacturer approved diagnostic system, complete the CAN Network Integrity test. Refer to the electrical circuit diagrams and check the CAN Network between the Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) Control Module and the Instrument cluster

Post #553403 10th May 2020 11:23pm
RR P38

Out of curiosity what is your Alternator output and Battery state, Volts?

Post #553404 10th May 2020 11:41pm
the_ferret82

Hi RR P38,

i have a MY08 car on a )7 plate so i expect there is a few differences in the electronics. i understand what your saying and i agree it could be something as simple as that if i can find it. the issue being with the nature of the fault trying to make it happen and have the computer to hard to test the network at the same time is hard. i have fan a few network test and they always come back good.. as for the codes i don't get much more than what you have seen even with the manufacture software (unless im missing something obvious) ill have to dig out the diagrams to check the wiring between the areas you suggest to see if that gives me any ideas to check.

as for the battery its a new battery i brought a new 110AH 920CCA battery just the other week to replace the 90AH 800CCA that was in there to see if that improved things, and other then better starting as you would expect. i don't know about the alternator output i haven't checked if honest. a job for this week. for referenced the old battery in now in my Jag and works fine (my jag had a undersized battery from when i got it)

Post #553505 11th May 2020 9:39pm
the_ferret82

should alos add i have checked evey possible area for water ingress and i can find no signs of any.

Post #553507 11th May 2020 9:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>