Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Electrical Gremlin Help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
the_ferret82

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver
Electrical Gremlin Help

Help, i have a random intermittent Electrical Gremlin that i cant trace that's driving me nuts. and pointers where to look would be appreciated. ill do my best to describe the issue.

so as already described this is a intermittent fault and i cant seam to get the fault to happen on command it also never happens in the same condition twice or under the same driving style.

the issue is i can be driving along either though town or down he motorway perfectly and then the TPMS light on the dash flashes over and over really fast, then the dash flashes up Tire Pressure Monitoring Fault, then any playing music will stop and the radio will power cycle. it will keep doing this over and over and some times clears itself while driving sometimes not. once i stop and park up the car and is still doing the mad reboot and turn the engine off it wont let me restart the car it acts like its immobilised. some times after a while it will clear its self some times it wont. and i have tried pulling fuse 18 to trick it into starting again some times this helps and other times it does not and i find a bit of persistence will allow me to start it sometimes.

i have not had a chance to put a fault reader on the car yet.

i have pulled the back left of the car part to check for water ingress and i can see no signs of any water ingress and i have also opened and checked each of the units and there is no marks on any of the boards

Post #547961 22nd Mar 2020 9:54pm
the_ferret82

well made some inroads last night and managed to attach the computer to the car..

it suggests that the cluster software is corrupt

so i have re flashed the cluster will see how it goes next.

Post #548079 23rd Mar 2020 10:31pm
DucatiBrandon

United States 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Ipanema Sand

For giggles check the black box on the passenger rear side compartment. It’s the TPMS box. I pulled mine out the other day and dumped two cups of water out of it. This was causing all sorts of issues and I seen another guy have the same problems your having. Worth a look. Good luck

Post #548299 26th Mar 2020 12:27am
the_ferret82

thanks for the heads up ill have a look tomorrow... it did seam dry that side.

Post #548300 26th Mar 2020 12:30am
Ragingrover

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Nara Bronze

Not very helpful I know but has all the hallmarks of a common ground connection or soldered joint breaking down. As said water definately doesn't help ...

Post #548395 27th Mar 2020 11:54am
the_ferret82

i managed to get some time yesterday to look at the TPMS module and other modules that's side of the car and they where all dry and showed no signs of water ingress. so happy there.

just seen the post about the grounding issue, is there any common points to check?

Post #548399 27th Mar 2020 12:21pm
Ragingrover

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Nara Bronze

Depending how confident you are with wiring diagarms and schematics, then have a look on the Wiki section, pretty sure you'll find information in there.
I've had similar issues with all makes of cars (some more than others!) where contacts on multi-pin plugs have minor corrosion, especially were there is copper alloy used for the male/female connections. So use some contact cleaner and excersice them. Also common(ish) is circuit boards with dry joints/corrosion which are easy to fix if you know what to look for. So if there is a unit thats central to the problems then get board out of its plastic home and investigate.
Failing that then broken wires in the loom sections can be a mare and cause all sorts of freaky bizarre issues, again its down to schematics, patience and confidence to have a go. In your case it seems less likely but others on here know the specifics on these cars much much better than I do. I'm a relative LR beginner.
I've got quite a bit of experince fault finding in Mercedes and these are common issues, so no reason to beleive that Landrover have some superior manufacturers or quality ! LOL

Post #548411 27th Mar 2020 2:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1