Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > EV cost's more with new price cap
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 6 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
Flashman

England 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

Just to note the Octopus deal is only good if you have a private drive.

I live in an apartment in a converted house out in the greenbelt and have already spoken to UK Power Networks about fast charging options in the communal car park. Since the entire estate only has spare capacity for a single 7.5kw supply to be shared by up to potentially 40 residents.

I did ask about upgrading the supply and was quoted about £100k to increase the supply cables to the edge of the estate. So all in to make fast charging an option where I live would cost about £150k once you channel it in to the parking areas etc.

That is just to be able to install a few fast charger poinst, and the estate electricity would be classified as commercial so no discount rates etc at all. Not worth it in any way.

So if you have a house and can get the 7.5p rate then great for you, but millions don't have that option at all.

The only option is fast charging out on the public roads, car parks etc.and those rates from what I hear are pretty high too. Tom

Current Drive
2011 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography - Santorini Black - Ivory Leather

Previous Drives
2004 Model Vogue Td6 (Touchscreen) - Java Black - Parchment Leather
1994 RR Classic 3.9 V8 Soft dash - Niagara Grey - Grey Leather
1972 Series III SWB Safari - Green (Hand Painted) - Black Plastic

Post #641520 31st Aug 2022 10:07am
RRover

2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Causeway Grey

I wouldn't say you are guilty in reality (enough of western guilt trips which are all invented by the far left radicals) but more duped into compliance, like so many others.
The reality of the EVs and other failing renewables (makes the very few much wealthier than they already are) is that even they know they will not last - apart from the zealots and cultist types - as the general idea is to get us all (except the few) away from owning transport and self-reliance and thinking for ourselves. Think China and you are heading in the right direction...
The WEF OPENLY speak/s about and lay/s this plan out! They are that emboldened now (remember all the controlling seal clapping for starters) they do not even hide their grand scheme of plans for US away anymore.
WEF = psychopaths.
Go listen...
Only the Davos pack will be exempt from the final lunacy of the plan...

It seems presently the hybrids are the better way rather than EVs - and those I know who own them have no real qualms about them - certainly no fears of running out of battery power...

Post #641521 31st Aug 2022 10:18am
Kot

United Kingdom 

supershuttle wrote:
I don't know why I am transfixed by this thread but I keep reading it even though I am only really interested in Full Fat Range Rovers. Its like on my bicycle forum where people pontificate about the benefits of wearing a helmet, who cares?. When I am bored I occasionally wind people up by admitting to being a Tory, riding an electric bike, using supermarket fuel, driving a Range Rover AND having two seats at Manchester United but again - Who cares you'll never change anyones mind one way or another but its fun to watch people trying. Rolling with laughter

Its the 2 tickets at Old Trafford that I am aiming for Rolling with laughter its been the monkey on my back since `i left Gods county Rolling with laughter 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #641522 31st Aug 2022 10:18am
RRover

[quote="Flashman"]Just to note the Octopus deal is only good if you have a private drive.

I live in an apartment in a converted house out in the greenbelt and have already spoken to UK Power Networks about fast charging options in the communal car park. Since the entire estate only has spare capacity for a single 7.5kw supply to be shared by up to potentially 40 residents.

I did ask about upgrading the supply and was quoted about £100k to increase the supply cables to the edge of the estate. So all in to make fast charging an option where I live would cost about £150k once you channel it in to the parking areas etc.

That is just to be able to install a few fast charger poinst, and the estate electricity would be classified as commercial so no discount rates etc at all. Not worth it in any way.

So if you have a house and can get the 7.5p rate then great for you, but millions don't have that option at all.

I saw a queue of eleven EVs at a charging point some weeks ago and one frustrated owner said they need 30-mins to get a reasonable charge - and this completely baffled me! Why would you do this? How long will the person at the end of that queue have to wait?

Most who go EV seem to be either using them as a company car directive (ie someone up top (CEO) is being funded to push the narrative maybe) or they are simply trying to virtue-signal from a false moral high ground...

I do say, hey, if you go EV then good luck to you... I still like my hat that doubles as a tennis racket... Shocked

Post #641525 31st Aug 2022 10:27am
RRover

TJH1985 wrote:
AJGalaxy2012 wrote:
MikeO wrote:
SamThomas wrote:
I see the irony, but it's a politicians answer.

I think it was intended to be tongue in cheek rather than avoid the question. If you regularly tow anything of significant weight than an EV probably shouldn't be on your shopping list...

Very true with the exception of Tesla Model X and Hyundai Ioniq 5, both tow and tow very well. Excellent characteristics from electric drive, good use of regen braking etc, range is somewhat scuppered though, not dissimilar to an ICE car in that respect.

A good Plu In Hybrid is probably a good halfway house if a lot of towing is undertaken.

I owned a plug in Hybrid it was awful, averaged about 25mpg compared to the 45mpg of the diesel car I replaced it with and was of no benefit at all. Having owned one, I would never again. The only up side was parking it in EV charging spots back when they were always available Rolling with laughter

Towing with electric seems to cut range by 40-60% in real world tests, which makes them pretty unusable for touring caravans IMO. We tow a 1950kg van occasionally and I can tell you, all you want to do is get to site and get set up and stopping to charge wouldn’t be the best start to a holiday.

After this thread I have been pricing up options, but nothing makes financial sense even a ID.4 is the best part of 50k in the spec I would want and that’s allot of cash for a Golf level car. EV’s seem to be a good excuse for manufacturers to continue to push their customers into monthly payments and away from ownership with sky high pricing.

Good thinking and direction there. But the idea of our leaders is to stop us owning anything - and rent everything. Blackrock in the US are buying up as much property as they can - to rent. They don't wanting us owning, but renting. That way you are controlled, and have to obey them, outside clapping like a demented seal.
They don't want you owning ANYTHING...
You'll be happy though?!? Bow down

Post #641526 31st Aug 2022 10:35am
AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

Jayk69 wrote:
Just to add this, and this really puts me off however i am as guilty as the next person with my mobile devices Embarassed

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/201...batteries/

it is an old article i note that but really is it true?

I have read a lot on the cobalt and lithium mining stories, yes a lot of what is reported is true and in many ways cruel. If you look further into it, 42% of cobalt is used for batteries, all batteries not just EV's and it is growing. The bulk of it does not come from the child unfriendly countries, still a substantial amount does.
I watched one report where children are used and the mother was saying, if they have a good day in the mine they can eat, if they dont, they cant. They were all very willing to work and queued at the gate to get in. The criticism shouldn't be levelled at the end users of the cobalt but at the countries and the operators of the mines. BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Post #641528 31st Aug 2022 10:43am
RRover

So maybe you'll be on a trip to go experience the cobalt mining yourself sometime soon, for a few years, possibly, and bag a Ukrainian ''refugee'' on the way back home, just to keep in with the corporate crowd?

I doubt...

Wink

Post #641546 31st Aug 2022 12:35pm
AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

No I wont be doing that, I have no need to.

I'm bowing out of this discussion now, it's getting personal and political, as they say on Dragons Den, I'm out. BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Last edited by AJGalaxy2012 on 1st Sep 2022 10:53am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #641585 31st Aug 2022 9:21pm
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Real shame this thread has been spoiled by one particular moron. It's mostly informative and interesting. Could do with an 'ignore' button.

Post #641611 1st Sep 2022 4:56am
Mikey

Scotland 

After all this, our Mini-e goes into build next Friday, with delivery by end of the month

Despite being a fan of big engines (4.4 V8 Disco 3, TDV8 Disco 3, 5.0 S/C Jag) I'm actually quite excited for its arrival Thumbs Up

Post #641612 1st Sep 2022 6:16am
MikeO

Scotland 2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Thumbs Up Do you have a chargepoint installed Mikey? If so, what did you go for? 2016 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate
<gone>2009 FF Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue</gone>
<gone>2015 BMW 520D SE (not my favourite car)</gone>
<gone>2009 D3 HSE Galway Green</gone>

Post #641613 1st Sep 2022 7:17am
Flashman

England 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

KurtVerbose wrote:
Real shame this thread has been spoiled by one particular moron. It's mostly informative and interesting. Could do with an 'ignore' button.

Totally agree Kurt, this topic is certainly very current, but both sides need to be heard.

Shutting down debate and insulting anyone questioning main issues will never help things progress and just help create a stigma about the subject. Some prefer to let feelings get in the way of facts. Tom

Current Drive
2011 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography - Santorini Black - Ivory Leather

Previous Drives
2004 Model Vogue Td6 (Touchscreen) - Java Black - Parchment Leather
1994 RR Classic 3.9 V8 Soft dash - Niagara Grey - Grey Leather
1972 Series III SWB Safari - Green (Hand Painted) - Black Plastic

Post #641621 1st Sep 2022 8:17am
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Yes, and there's no point in engaging with him as he just repeats the same already debunked drivel using the same barely literate style.

I've enjoyed reading all the fact based views posted in this thread, from both sides of the discussion, then we have this semi literate moron continually posting the same rubbish.

Post #641623 1st Sep 2022 9:06am
SamThomas

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Baltic Blue

KurtVerbose wrote:

Yes, an "ignore" button would be very useful but of course it's easy to just scroll down.

Personally, I think a "like" button would be more useful - often you agree with someone but it's not worth an actual comment,

Post #641625 1st Sep 2022 9:26am
RRover

OK I won't add comments on this thread anymore - for fear of upsetting the victims of the far left.

BUT: finally = EVs just like the convids are VERY political indeed.

Also: please do delete my comments if you like peeps... We know how radicals like deleting things...

Bet NOBODY has checked the WEF pages to see what they intent on doing to OUR and not THEIR modes of transport

Good luck in bubble world...

Post #641680 1st Sep 2022 6:21pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 6 of 9 <123456789>