Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Key won't turn in ignition fix 2002-2005
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue
Key won't turn in ignition fix 2002-2005

This has been an ongoing problem for some time, the key goes in the ignition but the steering lock doesn't go off so it won't let you turn the key to start the engine, the "get you home" fix was to remove and insert fuse 18 and the system resets, this works if the lock is stuck in the off position, if it sticks in the locked position you've had it, it's a new column as JLR don't sell bits... This runs into thousands...

There are a few people offering "refurbished" column's but I don't see how they can as the parts are just not available. (I think they are making one good one out of several broken ones)

I've been in contact with the makers of the parts that fail and they will not supply the bit's to anyone apart from the original company who made the column's for JLR (BMW)

This problem seems to be worse in hot climates...

Mine has been intermittent for some time now, sometimes fine for days but then other times taking 10 goes to get it started, the noise you usually get at the column when inserting the key is a solenoid unlocking and an electric stepper motor moving, my motor just sounded strained and was "slow" compared with how it used to be...

Removing the column is covered in Rave, you can usually do it without removing the dash pad but someone had been in mine before and refitted a totally rounded off bolt in the worse and least accessible position...

So as I'm doing other stuff as well that requires most of the dash out I stipped the lot off....

So let's rip it apart and see how it works...

The electrics are contained in an aluminium housing that has a cover secured with 6 small roll pins in blind holes, you can't knock them in and you can't prise them out, drilling seems to work though, 5 of them are easy to get to, one you have to drill at an angle but it worked OK

This is with the cover removed showing the location of the roll pins...

This is the solenoid that locks the column in the unlocked position, the end blue bit (arrowed) goes into a hole within the lock and ensures the stepper motor can't accidently lock the column, this solenoid is one of the parts that fails, inside it is a tiny donut magnet that can break and get wedged, stopping the solenoid moving, I have found a supplier of the magnets and actually bought 10 for 20cents each incase this had gone on mine... Actually mine was fine so the problem wasn't there...!!!

To strip further remove the solenoid, it is only held in place by the aluminium cover, and then the PCB and plug, unplug the stepper motor from the top (both this and the solenoid plugs just pull out, no little tags to worry about) push the PCB as far down as it will go and easy the plastic lugs (arrowed) over the two fingers of the PCB then wiggle it out...

Underneath you will find the enclosure for the stepper motor or ELV as it is know as, it is fitted into the housing with one time plastic lugs, totally inaccessible and they will break off if you force it... However, you can get the casing apart with a bit of messing, there are four clips (arrowed) holding the two pieces together and some judicial work with some small picks and it will pop open (one of those jobs you need 6 hands for..!!!)

When opened you are confronted with this, a small electric motor, driving a cog with a cam on the back going inside the housing and moving the spring loaded metal column lock, there is a hall effect sensor in the lid of the casing and you can see the large and small magnets which let the system know if it is locked or unlocked.

I bought a broken column (adjuster had smashed the housing) so broke the stepper motor out to see what's going on, here you can see (red arrow) where the cam on the back of the stepper motor fits and raises the gold coloured piece of metal that is the steering lock, the solenoid then locks it open by inserting into the small hole (yellow arrow) this then locks the column unlocked..

The solenoid lives here (only goes in one way round)

This was the problem with mine, on the next two pictures you can see that the motor was starting to burn out, lots of black soot around the end and within the housing...

Luckily the motor on the broken column was spot on so I just swapped them over and put it all back together, it now works with a very satisfying clunk instead of the lazy thud it used to do... Thumbs Up

So, that's a look at the workings and an idea where there maybe problems but what if yours is totally bust and just won't work, well, 99% of the time it fails in the unlocked position and as we have seen if it is unlocked then it can't accidently lock as the pin from the solenoid will be engaged, If it was me I would take it apart to ensure the solenoid pin was in position and doing it's job.

Then, go here and buy an ELV emulator, some clever so and so has finally sorted out a plug and play fix, this emulator plugs into the FF's wiring loom, into the plug that plugs to the PCB above, and sends the right signals at the right time to the FF to ensure it starts.... Around �100 plus postage...

http://cartools.lv/Shop/product_info.php?products_id=32

Says it works for 2001-2009 but that's a misprint they mean 2001-2005, before the touchscreen update...

I was going to sort out the motors for the column as well. Mine didn't work at all, but, as I said, someone has been in before, removed the in/out motor and drive shaft and also the adjustment ECU, I have a source of very cheap replacement motors that I think will work with these but I need a complete motor with gearbox and they still want silly money for them on eBay and as I never use the adjustable column I'm saving a few quid and putting it back naked with no motors...

Admin note: this post has no pics to help  Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #411681 1st Nov 2016 11:56am
builder1966

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Adriatic Blue

well done pete brave man taking that lot apart forsure

Post #411691 1st Nov 2016 1:28pm
berkshirelad

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Tonga Green

In theory then, you could simply force the whole thing into the unlocked position permanently.

However, this would require that you notify your insurer as you are disabling an anti-theft device

Post #411701 1st Nov 2016 2:35pm
Joe90

England 

Great work Pete Thumbs Up Nice detailed photo howto, will no doubt have been wikified before I finish typing this Smile .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #411715 1st Nov 2016 5:08pm
Haylands

Thanks chaps..

berkshirelad, not that easy, the immobiliser wants to see an unlocked signal when you start and then a locked signal when the RFID chip in the key is removed from the ignition, otherwise it presumes something is wrong and won't start next time...

There is no way, I found, of fooling it.... (not saying there isn't, but I couldn't find it) Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold

Post #411716 1st Nov 2016 5:17pm
gregdav

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Brave lad pete. Bow down Bow down Bow down
thanks for posting your results.
Thumbs Up

Post #411743 1st Nov 2016 6:52pm
MR GLOVER

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

think you should open a garage pete Thumbs Up

Post #411749 1st Nov 2016 7:11pm
paulmoran2

England 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Mariana Black

Bow down well done mate Thumbs Up GONE 2010 Facelifted 3.6 TDV8 - Stornoway Grey + 22" Overfinch Olympus
HAVE 1999 Discovery 2 GS 4.0 V8 - Silver - Off Road Toy
GONE 2013 L405 4.4 SDV8 Vogue. Black with Silver roofline and 22" s
HAVE 2015 Jaguar XF.

Post #411751 1st Nov 2016 7:33pm
Lukie

2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

Haylands wrote:
Thanks chaps..

berkshirelad, not that easy, the immobiliser wants to see an unlocked signal when you start and then a locked signal when the RFID chip in the key is removed from the ignition, otherwise it presumes something is wrong and won't start next time...

There is no way, I found, of fooling it.... (not saying there isn't, but I couldn't find it)

could you not just remove the locking pin (blue end) leave the motor in place ?

Post #411791 1st Nov 2016 9:56pm
Haylands

Thanks chaps, someone had to do it.... It's a fairly simple system and I've searched for spares but apart from the magnet there is nothing out there, Johnson make the motor but it's not listed on their website, Kuhnke make the solenoid but won't sell them. Rolling Eyes

Lukie, you could but that is just removing the guarantee that the steering lock will not engage whilst driving, the solenoid is the backup incase something happens...

It also has 5 wires to it so I suspect it has a sensor to determine it's position...

I don't think you can't just remove bit's, they are all interrelated, that was the problem before some bright spark came up with the emulator... Thumbs Up

For just over £100 you have a permanent repair for it... cheap at twice the price... Thumbs Up Pete

Post #411794 1st Nov 2016 10:20pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Does anyone know if they are common to any BMW models... it could be a cheaper source... especially if S/H... they don't seam to carry the Range Rover mark up Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #411805 1st Nov 2016 11:11pm
Haylands

I searched all the BMW models around that era and all their ELV's are different... Sods law...... Pete

Post #411814 2nd Nov 2016 12:10am
miggit

United Kingdom 

Shocked I'd have thought that late 90's 7 series would have been a good source... they seem to nicked most of the tech from there Rolling Eyes Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #411823 2nd Nov 2016 8:04am
Haylands

They are all similar but different, even between the BMW's... Pete

Post #411845 2nd Nov 2016 10:22am
miggit

United Kingdom 

Gits Evil or Very Mad ... Shafted again by Beamer Evil or Very Mad Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #411860 2nd Nov 2016 10:53am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>