Post #98272 19th Dec 2011 10:26am
rads

2005 Range Rover Vogue SE Supercharged Tonga Green

Gaaaah.

"Suspension fault"

"30mph max"

"Vehicle lifting slowly"

"Vehicle will lift when system cooled"

All on the message centre, coupled with a significant hissing on lock!

Offside airbag has a biggish hole in it, so compressor struggling to keep up and throwing overheat errors.

Still, forces me to change one of the few original bits in the front suspension, though I would swear the knock is from the nearside.

After you with the matches, Glideman!

David

Post #98455 20th Dec 2011 12:16pm
speedymarktd6

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

Glideman wrote:
Thanks David, anyone fitted the Dunlop ones with any good results? Like no knocking Confused Looks like another thing to add to my try list is a new Delphi strut Big Cry

I go into dunlop were they test and put there struts together they make them in coventry ive seen the testing they do and the workmanship is second to none onto no6 Range Rover

Everyone needs a hobby

Post #98464 20th Dec 2011 1:48pm
Glideman

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

At least it's not too big of a job Rads Very Happy The only bit of my front suspension which hasn't been changed is the arm without the hight sensor so maybe thats next on the list. After changing the other arm it did seem to get a bit better though, so maybe it is that, or am I just wishfull thinking. I'll keep the matches on standby, just in case Laughing

The reason I thought maybe I'd got a problem with the Dunlop strut is the knocking noise only started after fitting it.

Went for a drive today though on a smooooth road & with nothing knocking, the seat heaters and heated steering wheel, listening to some good tunes on the stereo & all was great again. Just wish I could find out what was knocking Rolling Eyes

Post #98533 20th Dec 2011 6:27pm
Mikeyjd

Wales 2003 Range Rover SE Td6 Zambezi Silver

My car started knocking on the front near side recently. It wasnt a heavy thump, more a light knocking over uneven ground, also noticed it if i wiggled my steering wheel from side to side when driving along. I took it to my local garage and they had a look underneath, the near side link rod was the culprit, they also noticed that the lower track rod bush on the same side had a lot of play (I was under the hoist too so could see everything - which is nice as you don't feel ripped off).

So parts were ordered and I took it in today. Result - 2 link rods fitted and one bush fitted while i did my christmas shopping. Total bill £190. Picked up the car and it is so much quieter, it also feels more positive when steering. Result. No longer FF owner but still interested. Present car Jaguar XE

Previous car Td6 SE

Previous LR- Disco 300TDi Auto

Post #98591 20th Dec 2011 11:37pm
Glideman

Just noticed this thread http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic7044.h...sion+knock

It mentions a hard washer, I don't remember my drop links having a hard washer . . . .

Quote:
PS The Rave manual goes on about remembering to put the hard washer back on the links when removed, mine only had these on the top fixing< I take it that this is the case for all vehicles and not lost in the past through previous poor work ?

I wonder if this could be the problem? Has anyone got a picture or diagram of the parts? I'm pretty sure mine had no hard washers fitted & this could be the problem Thumbs Up Range Rover 4.4 V8 Vogue

Post #98595 21st Dec 2011 12:00am
rads

One hard washer for each drop link, would need to check with Rave, but from memory goes on the joint side at the top, opposite side to the nut.

That's not the knock though! Mine originally had a washer on the nearside, no washer on the offside. Before reading Rave I assembled without any washers, found it still knocking, added the washers (supplied in bags of 10!) and guess what....

You changed that steering rack yet Twisted Evil

David

Post #98601 21st Dec 2011 12:29am
Glideman

No I'm still waiting for you to do yours to find out if it stops Whistle The washers must be missing on mine, been out to check the old strut to see if the washer was stuck to it, but it wasn't. It does seem worth checking though, or maybe not Rolling Eyes Range Rover 4.4 V8 Vogue

Post #98605 21st Dec 2011 2:22am
rads

Very quick and cheap to add the washers, nothing much to lose!

There is also the washer/gasket thing that goes at the top of the strut (the three studs poke through it). Can't remember if I transferred that over from my old strut on the nearside. Will take more notice of it when I do the offside.

David

Post #98607 21st Dec 2011 8:06am
Glideman

I swapped the the old strut top gasket over so that can probably be ruled out. Starting to run out of things to change now (not doing the rack) I can't drive it round knocking and the dealer, myself and a none franchised garage can't find the knock, maybe it's time to get rid Sad Don't know what to replace it with though, still seems ridiculous that none of us can find where a loud knocking is coming from Crying or Very sad Fed up of throwing time & money at it Rolling Eyes

One last thing to try when the weather dries up a bit, I'm going to gaffer tape an old mobile phone to different parts of the suspension to record the noise & see if I can track it down that way. It's worth a try, I'd try anything at the moment if I thought it would fix the bloody thing Laughing Range Rover 4.4 V8 Vogue

Last edited by Glideman on 21st Dec 2011 11:02am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #98619 21st Dec 2011 10:57am
ric355

Have you done the anti roll bar bushes?

Post #98620 21st Dec 2011 11:01am
Glideman

No not done them yet but I have had it up on a ramp with three different garages & none could see any play in them. I've recorded a film on my phone of the noise which I'll put on YouTube with a link on here if that's allowed. Can't find a way to post it here. Range Rover 4.4 V8 Vogue

Post #98621 21st Dec 2011 11:07am
rads

Here's a thought.

How about removing the A/R bar drop link on the nearside, and taking it for a spin.

Obviously will roll more, but should eliminate any of the A/R bar components if the noise is still there.

Might try this myself, but got to change the OS strut first.

Recording the noise on your phone, eh? Been there!

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=245CC9BAF07...C090%21209

That is rolling down a hill, engine off, and encountering a small speed hump, actually a 1 foot strip of cobbles laid across the road.

Sound familiar?

David

David

Post #98623 21st Dec 2011 12:00pm
Glideman

That does sound the same as mine, may try removing the drop link. Should eliminate the anti-roll bar bushes to I would think. The phone thing could help if it's gaffer taped to various parts of the suspension. It may destroy the phone but it's probably cheaper than buying a new Range Rover in spare parts Thumbs Up Range Rover 4.4 V8 Vogue

Post #98642 21st Dec 2011 2:25pm
Glideman

This is the video I made today of the knock the rattle is just the camera phone mount Range Rover 4.4 V8 Vogue

Post #98651 21st Dec 2011 4:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 8 <12345678>